Getting Around Venice

Most Viewed Transportation in Venice

• ACTV Vaporetto -- The best way...

by mdraper Updated Apr 4, 2011

ACTV Vaporetto -- The best way to travel around Venice, besides your feet, is on the vaporetto. You can buy a multiple trip pass at the same ticket counter at Marco Polo as you get the water bus ticket. A one-week ticket is 30.99 Euro and well worth the money.

A vaporetto on the Grand Canal

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Left Luggage at Sant Lucia Station

by suvanki Written Apr 1, 2010

I've used the left luggage (DEPOSITO BAGAGLI) service here twice. Both times I'd checked out of my hotel, then left my bags here, so I could spend my last few hours exploring Venice unhindered, retrieving my bags before catching the bus back to Marco Polo airport. (There is a left luggage office at Piazzale Roma, which I think is opposite the ACTV ticket office, I'm afraid that I don't know the opening times or tariffs - also at the Maritime station and Marco Polo airport)

THe left luggage office is located on Platform 1 (just past the toilets).
    On entering the station, head forward to the platforms then Platform 1 is the furthest Right.

Open Daily
    06.00- 23.50 hours

For each item of luggage it is 4 Euros for the first 5 hours
    then, 6-12 hours........ 0.60 cents per hour
    13 hours plus..... 0.20 cents per hour

This visit I had to show ID-(my passport), which was photo-copied and handed back. I was given a ticket, to reclaim my case.

You hand your case over to the staff - some are friendlier than others! and it is stored on shelving racks in the room behind the counter.

Left Luggage Office door Sant Lucia Station Venice

• Sienlu's Profile Photo

Baby strollers

by Sienlu Updated Dec 2, 2009

I visited Venice, like every year, last year with my parents, my husband AND my new baby girl, Sienna, who was one year at the time. We had her in a stroller, as you would normally do, in any other places but in Venice, there are stairs everywhere, and no ramps. So my dad and my husband had to carry her up over and over again. It was a drag...So if your baby still fits in a carrier you can attach around your shoulders, I would highly recommend that you do that instead.

• MaheshSamtani's Profile Photo

by MaheshSamtani Updated Nov 21, 2009

I purchased the 72 hour ACTV pass right away at the MARCO POLO airport which gave me access to the bus from the airport to mestre railway station and then later to our hotel. This pass gives you full access to all the water busses - Vaporettos, which otherwise cost 5 euro for a single trip. A 72 hour pass costs 25 Euros and is well worth it and will save you a lot of cash. We also travelled to Murano and Burano on the vaporettos, which was included. This would be the first expense that I would consider when travelling to Venice. The public transport service which includes the buses and all other water transport service could be considered as EXCELLENT.

• sourbugger's Profile Photo

This tip might be useful by 2020 or more

by sourbugger Updated Aug 4, 2009

There has been talk of building a metro in Venice for about 50 years. Things seem to be very much on the long finger at the moment. The proposed single line (and I do mean single as it would have passing places for trains on a single track) would stretch from the Airport to Murano and onto st mark's and the lido.

It may in time get built, but i wouldn't hold your breath.

I personally think a much better solution would be to run the line from the airport via Mestre, over the causeway and then down under the mud onto St. Mark's. That way you could close most of Saint Lucia railway station, transferring most of the causeway rail passengers onto the subway line. The re-development of the station would pay for most of the subway !
    A stroke of genuis, I know. Doubt anybody will take any notice.

i've since learnt that a tram network is being built around Mestre (the city opp venice on the mainland). It will run over the causeway, but it will not connect to the airport. With the new 'funicular type' tram aiding transport from the parking lots of of Troncetto to Pizzale Roma and the new bridge over to the station, it looks as if this area of Venice will become a massive transport interchange. If only they can figure out how to use the 'New canal' for it's original purpose of providing a short cut to St Mark's, then we may actually end up with some real benefits.

I don't know where I culled this mock-up of the St mark's stop is, but thanks to them anyway.

Alternatively, re-vamping the Vaporreto netwark would be a much better use of EU re-structuring funds.

the future ?

• mindcrime's Profile Photo

how to move around

by mindcrime Updated Jul 5, 2009

Venice is walkable and not so big so you can walk all over Venice without using any boat which is the second and last option because there are no buses/cars in Venice. Although most sights can be accessed on foot the vaporettos (flat decked boats) will help you save some energy some times and they will give you some nice views from the canals, especially the big canal. I noticed also some “motoscafo” and some double-decked ships that make some more routes into the lagoon.

The single ticket for the vaporetto is € 6,50! I know it’s expensive but it’s worth to take it at least one time to go down the big canal and enjoy the architecture (you cant do this on foot on the big canal). You can take it from the train station to San Marco and then you can return on foot. If you plan to use it more than once then its better to take a travel card that will save you a lot of money. We took a 24h card for 18 euros and used it many times and the day after we did everything on foot. There are also cards for 12hours (€ 16,00), 36hours (€ 23,00), 48hours (€ 28,00), 72hours (€ 33,00), 7 days travelcard (€ 50,00) and also the Venice Card that includes a lot of museums but make a plan if you are really going to visit so many because otherwise its not worth it (€ 73,00 for 3 days!).

Take a map and plan a bit your itinerary so to take full advantage of the card. There are six different districts(San Marco, Castello, Santa Croce/San Polo/Dorsoduro/Cannaregio), half day for each of them will be ideal if you have three days. Have in mind that it will take you about an hour by vaporetto from Piazzale Roma to San Marco so you cant go up and down all the time unless you want to spend all day inside the vaporetto. The other problem is that it’s always packed with people so catching a good seat outside (you want to take photos, don’t you?) is difficult, some times its difficult even to get inside! Some main stops have 2 stations one next to the other going to different direction check/ask before you get on board.

Line. No.1 goes from Piazzale Roma to Lido with 20 stops along the way of the big canal (in a zig zag route so to cover both sides of the canal).
    Line No.2 is faster with less stops.

I’ve read here on VT that they never seen inspectors but we’ve been asked for our ticket twice the same day so always validate your ticket before boarding the boat ar the yellow machines.

One other option is to use a water taxi. They are way to faster and comfortable (you will be alone) but you need a lot of money (about €100 from the airport)

vaporettos Santa Lucia Railway station and vaporeto stop

• abi_maha's Profile Photo

Check the change

by abi_maha Written Jun 10, 2009

Somebody gave us this tip which came very handy and I am just passing it on, whenever you take a ferry ticket do check the change. More often than not you will find that they have given you lesser than actual.

• Punta Subbiano

by wladziu Written May 24, 2009

If driving in Italy with Venice a destination, first-timers in particular should avoid the ugliness of Mestre and the hassle of parking and taking a vaporetto to the Plaza. Instead, if time is not a consideration, take a leisurely drive through very pleasant country and head for Punta Subbiano where there is a car-park and then take a ferry that will enable you to enter the lagoon and view Venice as it should be.

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Trains, Buses and Vaporettos

by grandmaR Updated May 17, 2009

The train tracks come to the island of Venice from the mainland train station Venezia Mestre across a brick-and-stone causeway named the Ponte della Libertá, or "Bridge of Liberty," which crosses the Venetian Lagoon (photo 2). When we left the ship, we walked to our hotel over a bridge that went across the railroad tracks. After the tracks went across the bridge and under the bridge (photo 3), they ended in the station which is right on the Grand Canal. The station stands out because it is a modern structure in a city of ancient buildings. The station's façade is decorated with the logo of the FS, or Ferrovie dello Stato, a.k.a. Italian State Railways. There is a water bus stop (photo 5 Ferrovia which means Railroad Station) next to the station

The buses (after they crossed to the island on a road bridge) ended up by our hotel and the water bus stop for Route #1 at the end of the Grand Canal (photo 4). As we walked to our hotel, we passed a huge parking garage, which is where you have to park your car if you come to Venice with your own wheels.

Venezia Santa Lucia station from the canal Bridges to Venice Train track going under the road bridge Bus station area and parking garage from our hotel Near Railroad Station by the Chiesa degli Scalzi

• Fam.Rauca's Profile Photo

Stazione di Venezia Mestre

by Fam.Rauca Updated Feb 22, 2009

Mestre is a small town, near to Venice, with a railway station in the middle of it.

We came from Lignano, by bus, and we involuntary get off in Mestre, not in Venice.

The station in Mestre is modern and good furnished.

You can drive to Venice by train or by bus, over the Liberty Bridge.

The bus station is situated directly in the front of the train station.

We came accidentally here, but we were happy about, because we found another place, where we can park our car, or we find a good hotel at a low price.

The transport to Venice is without difficulty and you can save a lot of money by parking and slipping.

Piazzale Pietro Favretti 1, Venezia 30171

Stazione di Venezia Mestre Stazione di Venezia Mestre Stazione di Venezia Mestre Stazione di Venezia Mestre Stazione di Venezia Mestre
    • Business Travel

• junecorlett's Profile Photo

by junecorlett Updated Feb 16, 2009

The only public means of transportation in the city center are via water taxis on the canals. The vaporetti and passenger -bearing speedboats can traverse only on the largest canals including the Grand Canal. Boats and gonodolas though, can insinuate themselves into the narrowest waterwyas and are advised for those who want to preserve a particularly romatic memory of the city. The gondolas are rather smelly...due to the smelly (in places) canals.
    Water taxis are very efficient.

Water Taxis on the Main Canal

• AsturArcadia's Profile Photo

Local travel to Venezia

by AsturArcadia Written Jan 22, 2009

Unless you are travelling by train, in which case Trenitalia will deposit you on the bank of the canal Grande at S. Lucia terminus, it is best to consider alternatives to driving across the causeway from Metre and using the multi-storey car park at Piazzale Roma (and probably paying through the nose to do so).

From the south - by car or train to Chioggia, then the ACTV Linea Mista to Lido (motorship - bus - car ferry - bus) and thence into the city by vaporetto.

From elsewhere - consult a local large scale map and the Trenitalia website, select some village station on a line which has a frequent train service (most do nowadays), and leave the car there; travel in by train. In fact this is sound advice to follow when touring by car and wanting to visit any large town or city. Cheaper, relaxing, and far more fun.

• AsturArcadia's Profile Photo

by AsturArcadia Written Jan 22, 2009

Feed 'ACTV' into Google to obtain the website of the municipal public transport operator in Venezia and the surrounding district.

Your best bet is a 24-hour ticket, valid on vaporetto, motorship and bus services, lincluding the Linea Mista to Chioggia. A guided bus network is being developed in Mestre (tyred buses guided by a single rail).

• Albernfrau's Profile Photo

Only Way to Get Around Venice

by Albernfrau Written Nov 1, 2008

We bought an ACTV Tourist Pass for 31 E. This pass allowed us to go on the local transit, the boat "buses" as many times as we wanted to in 72 hours. We were even able to use it to go to the nearby Islands of Burano and Murano. Just make sure to validate it the first time you use it by getting it stamped in the machines near the boat stops. We bought our pass as the Treviso airport but they are available at many other places as well. Interestingly, while riding the transit we were only asked once to show our ticket and that was on our way to the Island of Murano. We received a map of the transit route when we bought our tickets. Instead of going on an expensive gondola ride we road on the transit boat from one end of the Grand Canal to the other. It was just fabulous. For an off the beaten track adventure get off at Giardini stop and stroll the nearby park/gardens and surrounding residential area; a real treat and a nice break from bustling downtown Venice.

• SaxonSon's Profile Photo

Water Taxi or Bus into Venice?

by SaxonSon Written Oct 16, 2008

Venice is an extremely walkable city, and sure, you can walk it from the bus and train stations, no problem. But if this is your first visit to Venice and you're arriving by air, it would be an absolute shame to take the bus to Piazzale Roma, which is Venice at it's worst.

Venice is a magical place, and should always be approached--particularly the first time--by water, as hundreds of generations have in the past. By all means, take the Blue Line boat, or if you have the means and the whim, take a private water taxi (+/- 80 Euros). You'll be arriving late in the day, but even so, to come into the Grand Canal, with all the lights of Venice reflecting in the water, the salt air brushing your faces, the excitement and expectation of the place stinging at your really should not trade that for the drudgery of a bus into Piazzale Roma. Venice is a chance to live. Live.

Venice Hotels

Hotel do Pozzi
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews

Instant Answers: Venice

• Apr 5, 2015 at 2:59 PM

I live quite close to Venice and I can confirm that travelling in Venice is very expensive and time consuming, as I can see from many of these posts.

In the last year I discovered something that is very useful, and that I have been testing with my friends coming from different countries: it is a complete package with a lot of options covering transportation, museum entrance, parking, transfer to the airport... and the most important thing is that you have everything on your hands before arriving in Venice. So I saved a lot of time in collecting all the tickets for my friends, and my friends could save a lot of time skipping the queues (the Vaporetto queue and the queue for the museums is very long).

It is called VeniceBox ( and you can receive it at home, or collect it in Venice once you arrive. I am posting this because it solved a lot of problems to my friends and I am sure it may be helpful to anyone is going to visit Venice.

I love Venice and I'd like that everyone could enjoy it, instead of wasting time and money.

• Apr 6, 2015 at 1:38 AM

ciao, i can only tell that my friends were happy with that. They didn't need to make the queue to buy the ticket, just jump in the Vaporetto, that is not making something wrong, just avoid making the queue (I live close to Venice, and I understand what you say, but I'd never suggest to do something uncorrect). I agree with you that Venice is worthwhile walking (if i well understand there is also a map inside, that may help). It probbaly depends on the approach you have to the visit: may be that if you don't have a lot of time, and have children (like my friends) it is very useful and you can be "relaxed" and just make your visits to museums, churches or whatever you want.

• leics's Profile Photo
      Apr 6, 2015 at 2:12 AM

I understand. But you can do all that without paying for a pass of any sort.

Venice Transportation

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Venice locals.
Map of Venice