Verona Tourist Traps

• globetrott's Profile Photo

Il Giardino di Romeo et Guilietta

by globetrott Updated Nov 1, 2012

Il Giardino di Romeo et Guilietta

"Il Giardino di Romeo et Guilietta" is a sign you will see not far away from the Casa di Giulietta in Via Capello. BUT when you get inside all you will see there is quite a nice innercout with lovely arcades and a small statue of William Shakespeare !

Unique Suggestions: Il Giardino di Romeo et Guilietta might be a good place to spend some time in the shade, when it is hot in the rest of Verona, BUT it certainly does not have any connection with Shakespeare...

Fun Alternatives: Forget about this place, the "real" balcony of Giulietta is in a distance of only 200 meters.

• Festivals

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

Poor Juliet!

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Jun 16, 2012

Poor Juliet with glistening bosom

I must say that my pose at the photo with Juliet was the most innocent among all the poses which other tourists used. There was a queue to take a photo with Juliet and everybody didn't want anybody else at the background of the statue. A lot of people were taking photos hugging her from behind and embracing the right bosom (on my photo it can be clearly seen that the right bosom glistens from frequent touches)
    So when it came my turn the whole crowd was amazed having seen my original position, and some copied it later, without touching the breast of poor Juliet.

• Photography

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo

The city-tour train

by croisbeauty Updated Nov 1, 2011

the city-tour train

The city-tour by this cute little train starts from Piazza Bra, right in front of the Roman amphitheatre, however you won't see all the major sights and details of the old core of the town if taking it. It is recommendable only for those who prefer quick city tours. I've never use it but some tourists told me they were unsatisfide with the tour.

Fun Alternatives: The old core of the town is rather small area and you can easily explore it by foot. For example, the distance between the Roman theatre and the basilica of San Zeno, which is on the opposite side, is more or less about 2-3 kilometres.

Giuletta House

by BruceDunning Updated Jun 18, 2009

People milling around the house

It is not worth the time to go over there, or at least spend no more than a few moments. The graffiti is bad, and people mulling around. I also suspect that pickpockets find this a place of opportunity since so many are distracted, looking for Juliet on the balcony. Trash litters the street in front.

Unique Suggestions: Keep your hands in your pockets and be alert.

San Zeno-May be Closed

by BruceDunning Written Jun 18, 2009

Front view of the church

We took a long walk away from the other city sites to come and see the San Zeno church. It held so much promise as being one of the more magnificent churches. Unfortunately when we arrived, the front door was open, but not for tourists. They are under renovation, and may be for quite some time. Now 1+ years later it could be open, but check first before taking the long trek.

• Museum Visits

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo

Do not take the extra steps

by BruceDunning Written Jun 9, 2008

I was disappointed to find out, after having traveled to some places, they were closed for "renovation". One example in San Zeno shurch, far away from everything else. We walked there, and found out it had been closed since 2004-05 for restoration. The castle Peitra on the hil across the river also is not a tour site to get into. It is permanently closed. Then Chiesa Anastasia was being "restored".
    The information office should voluteer this information, but no. YOu need to ask, so do so.

• ZoeB's Profile Photo

Juliet's balcony

by ZoeB Written Feb 3, 2008

Considering Romeo and Juliet was fiction having a tourist attraction to go and see the balcony which you can pay to go into the house and stand on the balcony - i feel this is a tourist trap. I believe the balcony may have been the 'inspiration' for the book but that;s about it.

If you want to see the balcony I recommend waiting around until there is noone standing on the balcony and get your picture then.

Alternatively you can put your hand on the left breast of Juliet's statue in the garden and that apparantly is meant to bring luck and also costs nothing - just time - standing in line waiting for your turn.

The garden ...

by craic Written Jan 23, 2008

Red lips?

... to the front of the museum was rather pleasant and again the odd assortment of bric a brac. Bits and pieces with broken noses etc and a couple of modern pieces. Some big red lips. Are they red lips? And a wooden bench to sit on that was rather outre and post modern.

I prowled around the garden and took a few deep breaths to get over the whole experience and I certainly felt like I got my money's worth.

Then I visited the Ladies and oh damn - a squat toilet.

• craic's Profile Photo

So we went down the stairs ...

Gloomy.

... to view the tomb. Not believing for a minute that Juliet had actually been buried here. Even if she had actually existed.

I must say it smelt like I had always imagined a tomb would smell. But her tomb looked rather like a horse trough or a wash tub. Kind of odd.

Nice to be the only ones there. That can't happen very often.

Since we returned from Verona I have read of an early visitor to Verona (was it Charles Dickens? Or Mark Twain?) who viewed the tomb out in the garden where it used to be and he thought it looked like a horse trough or a wash tub.

Again, love messages scrawled on the walls and on the tomb/wash tub/horse trough.

• craic's Profile Photo

So we headed out to Juliet's tomb ...

by craic Updated Jan 23, 2008

At last. There is the sign.

... with the map they gave us and it wasn't such a short walk even if we hadn't got lost more than once. The map wasn't the best map I have ever consulted.

At last we spotted a small sign pointing the way after wandering up and down Via Shakespeare for a bit saying - "It must be round here somewhere."

I managed to drag Matt past the bust of Shakespeare with the plaque intoning on about - A pair of star crossed lovers - at the entrance.

(I know Shakespeare liberally helped himself to a poem called The Tragicall History Of Romeus and Juliet by Arthur Brooke who wrote it in 1562. And Arthur had taken the story from an Italian named Matteo Bandello.)

"Look at the nice garden," I said.

Anyway we entered the museum and I had to have another laugh. A proper hotch potch. A true melange. Some awfully nice ancient frescos, some very inferior statuary and down in the basement a slew of amphorae.

Anything that needed house space seemed to be housed here.

There was a hall full of really awful religious paintings set out in a kind of maze - and Matt just hates religious paintings - The Annuciation, The Matyrdom of ... etc etc but we weren't allowed to skip it. We were the only visitors and there were two guards plus a friend in a wheelchair who made us go through the whole maze in the proper direction.

So we did. Matt is having hot fits and cold shivers by now.

It was cheap enough.

by craic Updated Jan 23, 2008

The balcony is not quite as old as the house.

5 euro to see the house (which is a very old house that does seem to have belonged to family called Capulet) and 6 euro to take the short walk to see Juliet's tomb as well.

We were the only people in the house but there was a security guard on each floor. They were having a very thin time of it. They were so bored. (But more of that later.)

There we were on the first floor in what was obviously a bog old living room. I've never been in such an old house. I was almost feeling thrilled.
    Then I noticed it couldn't have been anything else but a living room. And the famous balcony was attached to it.
    So how was Miss Sexy Britches Juliet whispering sweet nothings from the privacy of her bedroom balcony down to young Romeo? All her family would have been playing canasta and listening in.

"What's Jools up to?"

"Oh she is just chatting up the son of our deadly rival."

Matt gleefully informed me the balcony was added in the 1920s.

A lot of the interior of the house seemed to be held up with some sort of scaffolding.

Matt did like the bed that was used in Zefferilli's film which was on display. And the cossies.

And here were some bog old faded fragments of frescos that gave me a frisson.

So up we headed to the top floor and passed a guard that had nodded off.

Then I noticed there was a screen pulled up to an open side window and a figure behind the screen leaning out of the window and a puff of smoke spiralling up. Guard having a sly puff. We tip toed on. It would never be the best of jobs in the first place - being disturbed as you are trying to have a quiet smoko would just about put the tin lid on it.

Fun Alternatives: What is with the seven dwarves garden stools? The mind boggles.

• craic's Profile Photo

I was tossing up whether ...

by craic Updated Jan 23, 2008

Love messages from all round the world.

... I should put all the Romeo and Juliet stuff in Things To Do or Tourist Trap.

But it is such a great big, screamingly funny tourist trap from start to finish that it has to be the ultimate Tourist Trap that is also a Thing To Do.

So we set out to do it and found Juliet's house quite easily. It seems to exert a magnetic pull in Verona - and the outside walls were covered - covered! - with love messages. And we walked into the courtyard and a small temporary wall to cover up some renovation was covered - covered with love messages.

I could see by the end of the day that I would have to give Matt a good smacking because he was starting to say things like - "Shakespeare never visited Verona. Romeo and Juliet never met at a ball in this house and then had love trysts with her up on a balcony .... etc etc."

(I don't know where they were supposed to have held the ball in this house. Way to small for a ball.)

Smacking saves me the trouble of saying - "Yes, I know." Over and over again.

I think it is odd that this story has become such a lovers' magnet. It doesn't end well. What is romantic about that?

But even in the depths of the non tourist season there were many young people paying homage and getting their pics taken posing the the balcony or clutching at the statue of Juliet with her shiny bosom. (Her bosom is shiny because people rub it for luck in love.)

When we got in the house there was this fakey antique computer set up on an upper floor where you could post love messages to Juliet.

Matt was fizzing and saying things like - "What do they think they're doing? Has the world gone mad?"

To start off with he literally didn't know what it was for. I had to explain it to him.

By the time we got to the top floor and there was a display of garden stools shaped like the seven dwarves he was, luckily, beyond comment.

Fun Alternatives: Oh do it. It is a larf.

• jubistuta79's Profile Photo

|Giardino Giusti-Oh my GoD!!!!

by jubistuta79 Written Jan 3, 2008

IF you refer to some traveller books, they mentioned that this garden is the most beautiful garden in Europe! its quite far from centre..you have to walk 30 mins to arrive to that place. OK..long journey...and you have PAY 5 euro to enter! Pay!!!! OK..its must be nice...when you go inside...its really nothing...its only some decoration on tree .. with some statue...if you visit Malaysia, go see a paddy field, its more beautiful and worth it than 5 euro, and walk 30 min to this place. No wonder ,,, less than 4 ppls at this place when I arrived.

• Trains

• cro_gavran's Profile Photo

Parking is terrible

by cro_gavran Written Dec 7, 2007

When we come to Verona, we spent more than two hours trying to find some good place to stay and park our car. Unfortunately, we had to do that very far away from the planned place. Even when you find some place to park, there are still problems because of italian miniatury style, so if you come with big car, you will lost most of your nerves on parking.

• franzk's Profile Photo

Tourist Office, service for tourists?

by franzk Written Nov 4, 2007

I have very strange experience with behaviour of people in Tourist Office at Railway statiton of Porta Nuova in Verona. I and my boyfriend came there, because we had to find some free accommodation for one night. Sounds like very easy thing, but not for this office.

Lady there gave us only catalogue of all hotels in Verona and said that we can choose, but she can´t recommand us, she can´t call to any of them, she can´t tell where in map are hotels...so it is service for who? Just giving catalogues and saying nothing? Really dont understand.

At the end one lady recommanded to us, to go to http://www.cav.vr.it/Inglese/
    this is great office for all accommodation in Verona. We went there, got hotel in one minute in better price then is written of website of hotel.

So my advice is dont waste your time with ladies in Tourist office at Railway station. They "just" doing their job...

Instant Answers: Verona

Comments

Verona Tourist Traps

Reviews and photos of Verona tourist traps posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Verona sightseeing.