Built in 1411, it is a typical style of Venizia architecture. It has a bit of Bizzantine style with windows of tribolate and the lo0ggia arches in the front. The building is in need of restoration, and looks as if the whole inside may have been a storage area for quite some time. Top windows are boarded up and the door appears not to have been opened much lately.
The walk from one end of the town to the other is only 6 long blocks. It is quiet and peaceful at this time of the year. Look into the many little inlets for adventure. The main street is Via Roma, and the other parallel street is Corso Vittoro Emannule.
The castle was last built by the Scaligeri family in 13759 They constructed a mast and three circular walls, with reinforced 24 towers, leading back into today's town. The first fortress was from the 10th century, and cited as a defense from the Magyar invasions. many times the control changed hands and Venice took control through a battle in 1405, but it was captured back in 1439, and then regained again. What a struggle for such a small town. The town was burned in 1508 and 1515, and later sold to the Gritti family in 1696. There is 5882 Square meters
As you walk up one of the stone paths leading to the top, You can see the definite restoration under way at this time. The major restoring was in 1890 by Senator Camozzi. They have done a lot of work, but more to do, and it continues along the walls. Entry price is 5 Euro to view the castle. The ticket office is in a 3 room medieval home. The walls are 2400 meters long, and 36 feet high. Look up an be impressed.
The visit to this town was quint and well preserved and completely walled. It is barely 24 blocks square, but has a medieval wall surrounded by a moat. On the peak of the hill is the 10th century castle with crenellated tops and 24 towers. This was a focal point for territory turf, and many battles took place around here. It was built by Count SAn Bonifacio, and the expansion was when the Scaligeri family dynasty took ownership. They built the castle on Monte Tenda in 1375, with three circular walls.
The town name comes from Swabian-Nordic name of Svevi/Suavi that invaded this area in the 7th century. The Ventians took governance in 1405. The castle was restored to its present form in 1890 by Italian Senator CAmuzzoni. The fame of today comes from the green grape that makes wine. There are 3 palaces to view along with the castle. The walls are 2400 meters long.
Information center is just outside the wall entrance on the left.
The beautiful garden at the entrance to the Olympic Theater is an oasis of peace, with flowers, statues and trees surrounded by old style buildings.
A wonderful place to spend some time and meditate to all the beauties around you.
Commissioned to Palladio in 1569 by the count Montano Barbaran, the grandiose Palazzo Barbaran-Porto is brilliantly decorated with frescoes and reliefs.
Following the restructuring works held in 1999, the palace was arranged for housing a museum dedicated to the great man and architech Andrea Palladio with a section that will use the virtual reality in order to present his work.
Housing the head offices of Banca Popolare di Vicenza since 1872, Palazzo Thiene is a palladian renesance masterpiece included in UNESCO's patrimony.
The building had two main facades, one on Contra' Porti made by Lorenzo da Bologna and one on Via S. Gaetano made by A. Palladio.
According to the initial plans, the palace was intended to be one of the most important in the world and it seems that the eigth part of it was built at the end.
The inside is decorated with beautiful frescoes by Alessandro Vittoria, Bartolomeo Rodolfi, Bernardo India and Anselmo Canera and Venetian painting from 1400 to 1700.
Address: Contra' San Gaetano - 36100 - Vicenza (VI)
Another work of Palladio, the white Palazzo Porto-Festa was left unfinished.
A part of the building and a double loggia around the courtyard have never been made.
Inside frescos of Gianbattista Tiepolo can be admired.
An example of late Gothic style, Palazzo Porto-Breganze, has a typical Venetian facade adorned with arches and quadrifora and a marble portal from 1481 and made by Lorenzo da Bologna.
Address: Contra' Porti, 17 - 36100 - Vicenza (VI)
Dating from the end 1300, Palazzo Porto-Colleoni is one of the most beautiful gothic palaces in Vicenza.
With a superb facade and decorated windows, the palace's loggia opens in the garden with elegant columns and arches.
Address: Contra' Porti, 19 - 36100 - Vicenza (VI)
Contra Porti is one of the prettiest streets of Vicenza's historical center where many of the Gothic and Palladian residences can be admired.
The 15th century Porto Breganze palace, the residence of the Porto Colleoni, a interesting example of Gothic-Venetian city architecture, the Thiene family residence now the offices of Banca Popolare Vicentina, Palladio's houses of Iseppo da Porto and Montano Barbarano cannot be missed.
Started in 1407 and enlarged in 1490, the small Chiesa di Santa Maria dei Servi has a facade by F. Muttoni from 1710.
The statues are made by Marinali and Calvi.
Address: Contra Gazzolle - Piazza Biade
The two rivers flow through the town of Vicenza making it very pitoresque, the first is Retrone and the second one river of Bacchiglione. This is river of Retrone with Basilica Palladiana in prospective, one of the most suggestive scene you can shot in Vicenza.
Chiesa dei Servi is situated in Contra Gazzolle, right opposite to the Regional Prefettura and a foot from Piazza dei Signori. This little but beautiful church is almost invisibile and could be neglected among all important historical sights in its close surroundings.
Ponte San Michele is undoubtely the most beautiful bridge across the river of Retrone. In order to preserve it for the future generations, this 1620 built bridge is premanently closed for the traffic. This example of the local authorities shold be followed in other Italian cities, where most of the fine old bridges still serve for the traffic.