Tempio di Santa Corona, Vicenza

5 Reviews

Been here? Rate It!

hide
  • Tempio di Santa Corona
    by croisbeauty
  • Tower under some restoration
    Tower under some restoration
    by BruceDunning
  • Main Entrance
    Main Entrance
    by BruceDunning
  • croisbeauty's Profile Photo

    Tempio di Santa Corona

    by croisbeauty Updated Jan 21, 2012

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Tempio di Santa Corona

    This is the look of the back side of the huge Temple of Santa Corona. This picture is taken from Via Canove Vecchie, where the very convinient parking place is situated. In case you are traveling by car, I suggest you to search for this parking place where, more or less, you can find frre parkings rather then in other locations of the city centre.

    Related to:
    • Family Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • BruceDunning's Profile Photo

    Tempio di S. Corona

    by BruceDunning Updated May 19, 2008

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Main Entrance
    2 more images

    It is one of the more famed churches in Vicenza. Building started in mid 1200's and the purpose over time was to hold the crown of thorns of Christ. These were supposedly given to the bishop by Louis IX. The door, in its own right is magnificent. The structure form the front does not look that large. Go in the rear area and discover the size of the compound form that viewpoint. The convent was rebuilt after destruction in WWI.

    Related to:
    • Arts and Culture
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • Diana75's Profile Photo

    Santa Corona

    by Diana75 Updated Oct 27, 2006

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Tempio di Santa Corona
    2 more images

    Located on the street with the same name, Santa Corona is a gothic temple with some wonderful art and architecture: the outstanding Altar of San Giovanni Battista by Rocco da Vicenza, adorned with the Baptism of Christ by Giovanni Bellini and the Adoration of the Magi by Paolo Veronese; the presbytery by Lorenzo da Bologna with the high altar, a masterpiece of marble inlay by Francesco Antonio Corberelli, and the beautifully crafted wooden choir-stalls by Pier Antonio dell'Abate.

    Next to the presbytery are two stunning chapels: Cappella Thiene with the remarkable St. Peter, St. Paul and Pius V adoring the Virgin by Giambattista Pittoni and Cappella della Santa Spina.

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Religious Travel
    • Arts and Culture

    Was this review helpful?

  • rubbersoul75's Profile Photo

    Santa Corona

    by rubbersoul75 Updated Jun 14, 2006

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    exterior
    3 more images

    This Church, dating form the 13th century, is surly the most interesting in Vicenza, and offers more to visitors than any other of the churches. It is free and worth a visit even on the shortest of trips to Vicenza.

    It was built to house a thorn from Christ’s crown of thorns, a gift from Louis IX of France. Inside, there is a real nice variety of high quality art:

    - Baptism of Christ by Giovanni Belinni
    - Adoration of the Magi by Paulo Veronese (2nd picture)
    - A Tomb in the Crypt designed by Palladio (3rd picture)
    - An amazing alter covered in in-layed marble (4th picture)
    - The Tomb of Luigi da Porto, Author of Giulietta e Romeo, upon which Shakespeare based his novel

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture
    • Arts and Culture

    Was this review helpful?

  • croisbeauty's Profile Photo

    Tempio di Santa Corona

    by croisbeauty Updated Oct 17, 2004

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Tempio di Santa Corona
    4 more images

    The Temple of Santa Corona is one of the most beautiful town's churches, which also holds a great number of works of art.
    The church was begun in 1261, and was to have held the relics of Santa Spina, given to Bishop Bartolomeo da Breganze by King Louis IX of France. The facade, although restored, reserves its original appearance. The brickwork, doorway and side windows were all modified between 1872 and 1874.
    The interior of the church has also undergone changes and extensions. The walls, originally frescoed were whitewashed during the Plague of 1630. The chapels were mainly built by local nobolity, and the most ornate contains the Baptism of Jesus by Giovanni Bellini, and is one of his best works. In the fourth chapel on the right there is the "Adorazione dei Magi" by Paolo Veronese.
    The altar, by Antonio Corbelli and his son Domenico is richly inlaid with mother of pearl, coral, lapislazuli and jasper, in black stone.
    The old convent, located on the left of the church, was destroyed during the WW II and its essential parts have been built as part of extensive restoration project. Nowadays it was converted into a museum of archeology and nature.

    Related to:
    • Family Travel

    Was this review helpful?

Instant Answers: Vicenza

Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers

73 travelers online now

Comments

View all Vicenza hotels