House of Blackheads, Riga

4 out of 5 stars 4 Stars - 37 Reviews

Been here? Rate It!

hide
  • House of the Blackheads, Riga
    House of the Blackheads, Riga
    by antistar
  • House of Blackheads
    House of Blackheads
    by balhannah
  • House of Blackheads
    by fachd
  • antistar's Profile Photo

    House of the Blackheads

    by antistar Updated Nov 27, 2013

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    House of the Blackheads, Riga
    3 more images

    In the main Ratslaukums square, you'll find this elegant Hanseatic building belonging to the Guild of the Blackheads. This was a unique guild of unmarried merchants, and ship captains, who would host lavish parties attended by the rich and famous across the region, including Russian tsars.

    The building was destroyed during World War 2, and the Soviets finished the job with explosives. But since independence the Latvian government has restored the building from practically nothing, to its original splendour. It's easily one of the most impressive buildings in the city.

    Was this review helpful?

  • fachd's Profile Photo

    House of the Blackheads

    by fachd Updated Sep 19, 2012

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    1 more image

    House of the Blackheads, this beautiful building is not the original. It was totally rebuilt, replicated and completed in 1999. Originally called the New House which was built in 1334 and since then it has been reconstructed on numerous occasions from 1522. It was partly destroyed during WW2 the remainder demolished by Soviets in 1948. Today the building is a museum.

    Related to:
    • Photography
    • Music
    • Museum Visits

    Was this review helpful?

  • balhannah's Profile Photo

    HOUSE OF BLACKHEADS

    by balhannah Updated Feb 18, 2012

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    House of Blackheads
    2 more images

    Unfortunately, the lovely "House of Blackheads" I was viewing today, was not old, it was only completed in 1999.

    World War II, and because the House of Blackheads was one of the most impressive architectural monuments in the city, it was destroyed. What little remained was then demolished by the Soviets in 1948.

    What a shame, as this old gothic building dated back till 1344, a place for the unmarried German Merchants to come, and also a Concert Hall where R. Wagner once performed.

    Opening Times... Tues-Sun 10-5pm (May-Sep); 11-5pm (Oct-Apr).
    Admission ...2Ls

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Arts and Culture
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • Flying.Scotsman's Profile Photo

    The House of Blackheads

    by Flying.Scotsman Written Apr 22, 2011

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    House of Blackheads
    1 more image

    The House of Blackheads is well worth a visit, but was closed to the public when we were there in March, 2011. From information on the internet, the outside is the main attraction of this building. Dating back to the 14th century with a Dutch early 17th century facade, it was virtuallydestroyed by the Soviets in 1948, then fully restored in 1999. It was originally the Riga headquarters of an association of unmarried merchants. The tourist information office which was housed here has been relocated to Kalku iela 16. Do double check as this may be a temporary move.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • georeiser's Profile Photo

    House of Blackheads in Riga

    by georeiser Written Dec 29, 2009

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    House of Blackheads in Riga
    1 more image

    The house of Blackheads is a colourful and easily recognised building. It is located in the southwestern part of the Old Town not far the west of St. Peter's Church. It was originally built in 1344 and partly destroyed during World War II, before and the ruins were completely destroyed by the Soviets in 1948. It was rebuilt in 1999 for Riga's 800th anniversary in 2001, and made as an exact copy as the original. The building contains a tourist Office, a café, a souvenir shop and a museum.

    Open to the public daily, 10 - 17, except Mondays.
    Admission: 1,50 Ls

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Backpacking
    • Arts and Culture

    Was this review helpful?

  • HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

    House of Blackheads

    by HORSCHECK Updated Jan 9, 2009

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    House of Blackheads

    The House of Blackheads is a Gothic building from 1344. Blackheads was a guild of unmarried merchants, existing in several Baltic medieval towns. The building was renovated for Riga's 800th anniversairy in 2001.

    Related to:
    • Budget Travel
    • Trains
    • Backpacking

    Was this review helpful?

  • MalenaN's Profile Photo

    The House of the Blackheads

    by MalenaN Written Dec 28, 2008

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The House of the Blackheads
    2 more images

    The house of Blackheads is a house with an impressive renaissance façade on Town Hall Square. It was originally built in 1344 and was then used by the Guild of unmarried merchants. There used to be shops and other businesses on the first floor, on the second floor was the guildhall and on the other floors were rooms for storage.

    The house of Blackheads was destroyed in 1941, during World War II. Not until 1999 the building was rebuilt and it was then made as an exact copy as the original building. Now days you will find the Tourist Office, a café, a souvenir shop and a museum showing the restored rooms in the building.

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • angiebabe's Profile Photo

    House of Blackheads

    by angiebabe Updated Nov 2, 2008

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    This building that really stands out from the crowd within the Town Hall Square, with its striking facade of blackskinned men in medieval costume, was orginally the headquarters of a guild of bachelor German merchants.

    Open Tuesday to Sundays 10am to 5pm. Admission about £2.

    Rebuilt since the Soviet authorities in the 1940s demolished much of the Town Hall Square to eradicate German architecture.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Arts and Culture
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • Acirfa's Profile Photo

    House of Blackheads

    by Acirfa Written May 1, 2008

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Originally built in 1344, it was owned by a merchant guild. It was destroyed during 1941 in the war and then the Soviets destroyed it in 1948. It was rebuilt again in 2001 to it's original detail.

    It sits in the Town Hall Square by the Museum of Occupations. It is now used as a museum and also at times as a concert hall

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Museum Visits
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • ealgisi's Profile Photo

    House of Blackheads

    by ealgisi Updated Nov 19, 2007

    First mentioned in 1334, the building was owned by the Great Guild, but in the 15th century the house was rented out to the Blackheads Merchant Guild it became their property in 1713.

    Blackheads was an organisation of unmarried foreign merchants. The beautiful Gothic building was destroyed in 1941 and was rebuilt for Riga's 800th anniversary in 2001.

    Was this review helpful?

  • tini58de's Profile Photo

    The House of Blackheads

    by tini58de Written Nov 4, 2007

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    4 more images

    The House of Blackheads (Melngalvju nams) is a very new building - in 2001 it was rebuilt for Riga's 800th anniversary. Originally this striking Gothic building with a Dutch Renaissance facade was built in 1344 and served to house traveling, single members of the merchants' guild. It was destroyed in 1941. Now it houses a museum and sometimes serves as a concert hall.

    Open 10:00-17:00, closed on Mondays
    Admission: 1.50Ls.

    Was this review helpful?

  • tini58de's Profile Photo

    The Museum of the Occupation of Latvia

    by tini58de Updated Oct 20, 2007

    4 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    3 more images

    Right next to the House of the Blackheads is a rather ugly black concrete building, which now houses the Museum of the Occupation of Latvia. This museum is dedicated to the Nazi and Soviet occupations of Latvia. The museum is quite tendentious, which on the other hand is very understandable! The exhibits are very touching, telling the history of war, occupation, deportation and suppression.

    Exhibits are available in Latvian, English, German and Russian. It is also possible to use an audio guide with headphones in English. Admission is free, donation boxes are put up.

    Was this review helpful?

  • Airpunk's Profile Photo

    House of the Brotherhood of Blackheads

    by Airpunk Written Aug 4, 2007

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    House of The Brotherhood of Blackheads

    The Brotherhood of Blackheads was a kind of guild which was inferior to the city’s merchant guild. Its members where the unmarried men of Riga or merchants spending only a limited time in Riga. Similar branches of it are found in other cities around the Baltic Sea, for example Tallinn. The original building dates back to 1344, but was heavily daamaged during WWII and completely destroyed thereafter. It was not until 2001, when it was reconstrcuted in its original style. In this building, the transistion between gothic and renaissance may be seen. Most say, that dutch reinaissance is the dominating style. But undoubtly, it is the most impressive building at Town Hall square.

    Today, the toursit information office is located in this building. You'll find also a café and a small exhibtion about the history of this building there.

    Related to:
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • ValbyDK's Profile Photo

    The House of Blackheads

    by ValbyDK Written Jul 24, 2007

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The House of Blackheads

    The oldest public building in Riga is the House of Blackheads (Melngalvju Nams). It was originally built in 1344, but was destroyed during the World War II. The House of Blackheads was rebuilt in 2001 – with careful attention to its original structure.

    The House was originally used to put up travelling members of the Merchants’ Society. The Blackheads Society took over the building in the 15th century - and therefore the building is called the House of Blackheads…

    Today there is a museum inside the building.

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • MikeAtSea's Profile Photo

    Riga Tourism Centre

    by MikeAtSea Written Apr 27, 2007

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Riga Tourism Centre
    1 more image

    This is the nenewed Blackheads' House, the rebuild Police Court House from 1890. It was done according to a project by architect Karl Johann Felsko. The fassade is in Renaissance style architecture.
    Inside the building one can obtain tourism information, maps and also is able to make hotel reservation. A good starting point for any exploration of Riga.

    Related to:
    • Arts and Culture
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

Instant Answers: Riga

Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers

73 travelers online now

Comments

Hotels Near House of Blackheads
4.0 out of 5 stars
121 Opinions
0.1 miles away
Show Prices
4.5 out of 5 stars
122 Opinions
0.1 miles away
Show Prices
4.0 out of 5 stars
162 Opinions
0.1 miles away
Show Prices

View all Riga hotels