The National Theatre is located in an Art Nouveau building with figures of Atlantis near the entrance. This building was constructed in 1902, as the second Russian theatre for the city.
The National Theatre was opened on November 30, 1919, and was made up largely of performing artists from the Working Theatre.
It was on the stage of the National Theatre that country’s independence was proclaimed in 1918.
A beautiful art nouveau building is the National Theater, built between 1899 and 1902. During the time of occupation, its name was changed to “Drama Theater”. Today, the theater focuses on preserving latvian culture by showing pieces from latvian authors.
The National Theater was built between 1899-1902 by Augusts Reinbergs and it was the city's second theatre. When the Soviet Union occupied Latvia the name changed and became Drama theatre. The theatre regained its orginal name only on November 17, 1988.
The National Theatre has two stages – the main Stage, which counts 780 seats - and the Actor’s Hall Stage, which counts 100 seats. Focus is generally on original Latvian playwriting, in particular Rûdolfs Blaumanis.