The Powder Tower (Pulvertornis) it was part of the defensive system of the town and was originally called the Sand Tower. In the 17th century the tower began to store gunpowder. Today the building is part of the Museum of War.
This lovely old tower with Ivy growing over the red bricks, was once used for storing Gun Powder. Built in the 14th century, the building is now part of the Museum of War, with displays including Medieval and Modern history, 1st & 2nd World Wars, Weapons and more.
OPEN DAILY .....10 - 6PM
ADMISSION IS FREE
It is only one defensive tower that survived in Riga - it houses the Museum of war. Tower looks big enough, could be hard to attack :) In 14th century this tower was the one of many towers around the city. In XVII century it was used as gunpowder warehouse.
After attacks of Swedes and Russian it took some years to reconstruct it, now you can visit the museum and interesting statue near its building.
The Powder Tower has its name because it was supposed to be a safe place to store the gun powder. The walls in the round red-brick tower are 2.5 metres thick. The building was first constructed in 1330, but destroyed by Swedish troops in 1621. It has been rebuilt several times. The tower has also been used as a prison. The tower is situated in the north-eastern part of the Old Town, just across the road from Bastion Hill, and it is now part of the Latvian War Museum.
Between the Swedish Gate and Powder Tower you can see part of the old city wall. It was restored during the Soviet era. The wall runs parallel to the streets Torna iela and Troksnu iela.
From Troksnu iela you can see there are arches in the wall. When there wasn’t war the arches were used as stables or for storage, but when there was a risk of war thy were filled with sandbags and stones to make the wall stronger.
The Powder Tower is a round red-brick fortification tower with walls that are 2.5 metres thick. It is the only tower, of 18, in Riga’s old city wall that has survived. It was first constructed in 1330, but it has been rebuilt several times. The original name was Sand Tower, but it got its present name when gun powder was stored in the tower. The tower has also been used as a prison, a torture chamber and for student parties. Now the War Museum is housed in the Powder Tower.
the Powder Tower is one part of the former fortification system, surrounding Riga.
It was first mentioned in 1330 and it was originally called Smilsu Tornis (The Sand Tower), but from the 17th century when gun powder had been kept in it, the Tower gained the name of Powder.
The diameter of this round tower is 14.3m, height -25.6m, the width of the walls reaches 3m.
Now the Latvian War Museum is situated there.
One journalist went to great lengths to save the Tower from being destroyed but retained as a point of historical interest.
This museum was a bit of a disappointment and maybe only for those who are really interested in, er.. well, war.
Populated by very obtrusive, elderly women watching your every move as if you were a criminal come to steal the war treasures, this museum, over several floors, covers Latvian involvement in various wars through the ages. Most of it is really quite dry, a fact not helped by the Latvian text.
Only one part of the museum, the section on World War II, has English text, which for such a national museum is rather disappointing. The museum is housed in the famous Powder Tower in the Old Town.
The museum is free, so worth popping in on a rainy afternoon.
The Powder Tower is a part of the former fortification system that surrounds Riga. It was built in the 14th century and was originally called Sand Tower (Smilsu Tornis), because the only (sand) street through the marshes ended here. From the 17th century on it was called Powder Tower, since this was the place where the powder had been kept.
The diameter of this round tower is a little over 14 m, the height is 25.6 m, and the width of the walls is some incredible 3m!
Since 1919 the Latvian War Museum is located inside the tower.
There isn’t much left of medieval Riga – The city is better known for its art noveau architecture. Of the 18 towers from the former city wall, there’s only one left: The 14th century - Powder Tower. And that one is a little hidden too. Between all the buildings, it stands somewhere in the northeast of the old town. In 1621, the tower was heavily damaged, but in 1650 it was fully rebuilt again. As its name might suggest, it did not serve only as a defence structure, but also for the storage of gunpowder. Throughout the centuries, the purpose it was used for changed. Prison cells, torture chambers and even a party room were situated in there. Today, the museum of war (which I didn’t visit) is located in there. A couple of cannonballs can still be seen in the wall of this tower.
The powder tower is the only remaining of the 29 towers which were part of the city fortifications. It was first mentioned in 1330 and was used to store the gunpowder in the 17th century, hence its name.
Today it houses the War Museum, which I didn't visit.
Just along the road from The Swedish Gate is "The Powder Tower", a building has stood in the same place since the 14th century, Originally called "The sand Tower" but renamed "The Powder Tower" when used to store gunpowder in the 1500's.
Another photo opportunity
The Powder Tower (Pulvertornis in Latvian) is a red brick tower unique in the city, and very suggestive. It's one of the oldest building left in town, although it has been rebuilt.
it dates back to the 14th century but most of it was destroyed by the Swedish tropps when they invaded the city in 1621. It was rebuilt soon after in 1650, and walls 2.5 metrres wide were added for further protection.
In the tower there are nine Russian cannonballs embedded in its walls and it is now the home of the city's War Museum.
The tower is part of the old fortifications of old Riga and it dates back to the 14th century. With Riga's war torn past it has been destroyed and plundered on several occasions. After it was destroyed by the Swedes in 1621 there were only the foundations of rock remaining. Rebuilding began in 1650 and this time efforts were made to make it last - with walls of 2.5 metres thick they certainly did their best and the exterior still remains - though around it there are now nine Russian cannonballs added as decoration! Today the interior forms part of the War Museum.
The Powder Tower was built in the 14th century and is the only remaining original of the city's 18 towers. Today, the tower contains a War Museum. If you look carefully, you might be able to spot one of the nine Russian cannonballs that are embedded in its walls.