St. John's Church, Riga

4 out of 5 stars 4 Stars - 19 Reviews

Been here? Rate It!

hide
  • St. Johns Church
    St. Johns Church
    by balhannah
  • Cat House, Riga
    Cat House, Riga
    by antistar
  • St. John's Church
    St. John's Church
    by antistar
  • balhannah's Profile Photo

    ST. JOHNS CHURCH

    by balhannah Written Feb 17, 2012

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    St. Johns Church
    1 more image

    St. John's Church is a Protestant church in Riga. Built in 1297, this old Church was used as the chapel of a Dominican abbey. The church was destroyed several times, so not all the architecture is from the same period. Over 400 years of services in Latvian have been held in this church.

    A part of the fortification wall which was 11 metres high and 2.5 metres thick which once surrounded the city, can be seen in St. Johns Courtyard.

    This church is famous for the two monks who were bricked into the southern wall. They spent all their life there, being fed from a trough that ran through a window from the outside.

    Related to:
    • Museum Visits
    • Religious Travel
    • Budget Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • antistar's Profile Photo

    St. George's Church

    by antistar Updated Oct 24, 2011

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    St. George

    On the same street as St. John's and opposite St. Peter's, is one more church: St. George's. Only this one is a little different, and unless you look out for its arched windows and high roof, you'd think it was just another building on this cluttered street. Older than its neighbours, in truth it is just another building now. During the reformation it was transformed into a warehouse.

    Today it hosts the Museum of Applied arts, wherein you can see some of the remaining fragments of the original church.

    Was this review helpful?

  • Raimix's Profile Photo

    St. John's church

    by Raimix Updated Feb 25, 2011

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The church was built in the Dominican monastery after 1234; it was used like a chapel. Later, church was used as a furniture workshop and weapon arsenal.

    In the 15th century two monks were immured here in their own free will, only a small window were left for them - this place have a sign in church, but, pity, haven’t seen it. The church is really worth visiting of history and beauty - interior is very beautiful.

    Was this review helpful?

  • Raimix's Profile Photo

    Convert yard

    by Raimix Updated Feb 25, 2011

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Small medieval houses
    1 more image

    TThis place in a hotel complex now, but you can just go inside the small yards to see how nice narrow streets and cozy houses are in this place. It seems like a medieval buildings complex still left in Riga old town.

    You can go to this site through Skarnu street near the St. John's church. Enter the small gates and when enjoy corridors of streets ;)

    Was this review helpful?

  • antistar's Profile Photo

    The Guild Houses

    by antistar Written Mar 15, 2010

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Cat House, Riga
    4 more images

    On Livu square are three old guild houses that tell their own tale. The Small Guild was formed in the 14th century as the Guild of St. John, protecting the local craftsmen. The current building dates from the 19th century and is built in the British Gothic style. The Great Guild (St. Mary) dates from the same time, and today is home to the Latvian Philharmonic Orchestra.

    Perhaps most interesting of the Guild Houses is not actually a guild house at all. It's commonly known as the Cat House, because of the wrought iron cats that decorate it, with the most prominent of all sitting on the conical roof. The original owner of this building decorated it with cats in order to show his superiority to the neighbouring to guild houses, as the Great Guild had refused him entry.

    Related to:
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • antistar's Profile Photo

    Convent Garden

    by antistar Written Mar 11, 2010

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Convent Garden, Riga
    2 more images

    Tucked around the back of St. John's cathedral is a little slice of medieval in the heart of Riga's old town. A fragment of Riga's original fortifications remain, in a pleasant courtyard separating the Skunu and Kaleju streets.

    When I was there the whole place was filled up with snow, and icicles hung precariously from the roof tops, as you can see in the pictures.

    Was this review helpful?

  • antistar's Profile Photo

    St. John's Cathedral

    by antistar Written Mar 11, 2010

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    St. John's Church
    2 more images

    Heading the popular and touristy street of Skarnu iela is the pretty little church of St. John's. It's dwarfed by its neighbour, St. Peter's, but forms part of a pleasant little street packed with many of Riga's best restaurants. There's a whole lot of history here.

    The church was formed in the 13th century as part of the Catholic Dominican order, but now belongs to the Protestant Lutherans. The evidence of its Catholic past can be seen in the etched face of a monk high on the church wall, and the convent garden tucked around the back.

    Related to:
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • ealgisi's Profile Photo

    St. John's Church

    by ealgisi Updated Nov 19, 2007

    St. John's church was built in the Dominican monastery after 1234.
    After expulsion of the Dominicans, the building was privately owned it was used as a furniture workshop and later as a weapon arsenal.

    In 1582 it became a part of the Latvian parish and in 1587-89 the eastern part of the altar was added. In the 15th century two monks were immured here of their own free will and only a small window in the wall to pass them food and drinks was left. The spot where the monks were walled up, and subsequently buried, can be easily seen today, marked by a cruciform barred aperture in the wall.

    Was this review helpful?

  • Airpunk's Profile Photo

    St. John's church

    by Airpunk Written Aug 23, 2007

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    St. John's church
    2 more images

    After St. Peter’s and the dome, the third larger church in the old town is St. John’s located in the southeast. First built as a chapel of the now destroyed dominican monastery, it grew into today’s big church. Although styles from gothic to baroque mix here into each other, the church has some kind of medieval aura. It’s probably because it’s in this area where you can find more medieval architecture than in any other part of the old town. The old, restored court of the former convent is only one of a handfull of structures contributing to the slightly medieval atmospehere.
    Inside the church, have a look at a place where two monks were immured on their own free will. They received food and drinks through a small hole left open. Of course, the monks did not survive for long and so, that’s also the place where they were buried.

    Related to:
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • Inguuna's Profile Photo

    John’s courtyard

    by Inguuna Written Feb 17, 2007

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    John's courtyard
    1 more image

    When bishop Albert came to Riga at the beginning of 13th century, he established not only the new city but also ordered to built the new residence for his needs. For this reason there was chosen John’s courtyard, where was built the new castle, but during centuries it was so uncared, that almost nothing has left. Only in the past century when serious research works was performed, it was discovered the old wall from the castle. As it was said there were located living and presentation premises. The wall is 11 meters high and more than two meters thick.
    At the entrance in the courtyard, on the wall you can see the old coat of arms.

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Historical Travel
    • Archeology

    Was this review helpful?

  • Karl_Kaviar's Profile Photo

    St. John's Church

    by Karl_Kaviar Written Jan 5, 2007

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    St. John's Church was first built as a chapel and a part of the Dominican monastery ensemble. It was first mentioned in the 13th century. After expulsion of the Dominicans at the time of reformation, the building was privately owned. It was used as a stable and later as a weapon workshop. In 1582, it became a part of a Latvian parish.
    In 1587-1589 the rebuilding took place and the eastern altar part was added. Go forward, through that ancient gate near St. John's Church, and then you can see old Jana seta (John's Yard) with a reconstructed fragment of the fortification wall surrounding the medieval Riga.
    If you go forward again, you can see beautiful Konventa seta (Convent yard) where The Castle of Sword-bearers' order stood in the 13th century. At the end of the 13th century it was destroyed by Riga's citizens who wished to free themselves from the power of the order.
    Though it was burnt and completely abandoned after WWII, it recently received a facelift to restore it to its former glory. Many of the interior fittings have been moved to St. Mary's but its famous 12 metre high renaissance altar remains. This remarkable phantom of a church comes alive with occasional concerts. Cat lovers should keep an eye out on the legion of black cats who have made the church environs their home.

    Was this review helpful?

  • call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

    St. John’s Church

    by call_me_rhia Written Sep 13, 2006
    St. John���s Church

    St. John’s Church, before being a church, was the chapel of a Dominican abbey and it is famous for two monks that were walled in there. It dates back to the 13th century.

    During the Reformation the Dominicans were forced to leave the church and the building became privately owned and used first as a stable and later even as a weapon workshop. Only in 1582 it became a church again.

    In the courtyard you can see a fragment of the fortification wall that was once surrounding the city. This walls used to be 11 metres high and up to 2.5 metres wide.

    Related to:
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • Lilasel's Profile Photo

    St. John's Church

    by Lilasel Updated Sep 16, 2005

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    St. John's church was built in the Dominican monastery after 1234, first intended as a chapel. After expulsion of the Dominicans in the period of Reformation, the building was privately owned – it was used as a furniture workshop and later as a weapon arsenal. In 1582 it became a part of the Latvian parish. In 1587-89 the eastern part of the altar was added. In the 15th century two monks were immured here of their own free will. Only a small window in the wall to pass them food and drinks was left. The spot where the monks were walled up, and subsequently buried, can be easily seen today, marked by a cruciform barred aperture in the wall.

    Was this review helpful?

  • Inguuna's Profile Photo

    Small Guild

    by Inguuna Updated Mar 28, 2005

    4 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Small Guild

    The same as the Great Guild also the Small Guild has developed from Saint Cross and Trinity Guilds. But this Guild firstly was known as Saint John's Guild, because its patron was Saint John. The Small Guild developed almost at the same time when Great Guild, but Small Guild joined together German craftsmen.
    The same as Great Guild also Small Guild was rebuilt in neo-gothic style in 19th century. And in the interior there are beautiful stained-glass windows and paintings which remind of old times.

    Related to:
    • Music
    • Arts and Culture
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • Leipzig's Profile Photo

    Church of St. John

    by Leipzig Updated Jul 28, 2004

    2 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Church of St. John

    This old Dominican monastery was erected in 1234 as a chapel (I guess the year is easy to remember). In the 13th century it was used as a stable. In 14th century as workshop for arms and armors. From 15th it was used again as church.

    Open daily from 11:00 am to 6:00 pm.

    Related to:
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

Instant Answers: Riga

Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers

75 travelers online now

Comments

Hotels Near St. John's Church
4.5 out of 5 stars
270 Opinions
0 miles away
Show Prices
3.5 out of 5 stars
23 Opinions
0 miles away
Show Prices
4.0 out of 5 stars
124 Opinions
0 miles away
Show Prices

View all Riga hotels