Swedish Gate, Riga
The Swedish Gate (or Zviedru vārti in Latvian) is the sole surviving gate of Riga’s old city wall. It was built by ruling Swedes in 1698. One legend suggests that the building was owned by a rich (and rather mean) merchant. He cut through his property to create this gate, thereby avoiding having to pay tax every time he took the goods into the city. The original tax avoidance scheme, perhaps?! Later apparently, the apartment above the gate was occupied by the city executioner, who would put a red rose on the window ledge the morning before a head was due to roll.
Nearby is the oldest remaining stretch of the old town fortifications, built between the 13th and 16th centuries and restored during Soviet times. The other gates and the rest of the city wall crumbled or were otherwise damaged long ago, and were for the most part torn down in the 19th century.
Next tip: a local pub dinner, Ezitis Migla
The Old Town of Riga used to be surrounded by walls on all sides, but now-days, not much is left. The Invaders tore must of them down in the 1800s.
The Swedish Gate is an attractive city gate, so named because it was built by ruling Swedes in 1698. It's the only gate to the city still standing, and separates a quiet part of the Old Town from the noisy bars around it.
This building looks very medieval and romantic, but, for real, it was built not for defense, but to celebrate the Scandinavian occupation of Riga (1698). So, in my opinion, it was good gift for people living and visiting Riga, as this one object now is the famous must see place when coming to Riga.
Unlike Tallinn, Riga doesn't have a lot of its medieval fortifications remaining. But in the Swedish Gate you can step back in time through the last remaining medieval gate in the city. The gate was actually built through someone's house, as a means of connecting the inner city to those businesses just outside.
Sweden ruled over Riga between 1621 – 1710. During this period the Swedish Gate was built, more exactly in 1698. The Swedish Gate is the only remaining of the old city gates. The gate passes through a house and in the rooms above the gate lived the city’s executioner.
A legend says a young woman was walled up in the gate. The young woman had fallen in love with a Swedish soldier so this was made as a warning to others.
The large row of buildings along Torna Iela was once used by the military, but now mostly handicraft shops and a few restaurants are in there. It is called Jacob’s baracks and were built in the 18th century. Opposite of it, you will see the swedish gate, the only remaining of the old city gates. It was built in 1689 and is now a passage between Torna Iela and Aldaru Iela. The source of its name is quite simple: It was built during the time of swedish rule in Riga.
One of the most interesting buildings in Old Riga - and the only original surviving gate of the old city's fortification is called the Swedish Gate - in Latvian Zviedru varti.
The city walls were built between the 13th and 16th centuries, and the Swedish Gate was added a bit later, in 1698. The name is used to mark the Scandinavians' occupation of Riga.
Originally the Swedish Gate used to connect Bishops' Castle and the Castle of the Brothers of the Sword, later the rooms above it became official residence of the city executioner.
The Sweden Gate is the newest gate in Riga - and was formed in the late 17th century when a residential block was broken through to allow people in and out of the city. It is called the Sweden Gate because it was created under Swedish rule. Above the archway, there are the city arms of Riga.
The Swedish gate dates back to the 17th century when they were formed in the city's fortification as the mark of Scandinavians' occupation. There is a legend which tells that event Peter the Great couldn't get in, because it was too dark.
And another legend which is closely connected with Swedish gate tells that one lady is immured here and still nowadays if you're passing the gates, you can hear her cries.
The Swedish Gate (Zviedru Vãrti) has got its name because it was built at the time when Riga was under Swedish rule. A legend tells that a young Latvian woman fell in love with a Swedish soldier and was meeting him near the gate. When people of Riga found it out they walled her up in the gate as a warning to the others.
The Gate is a remaining part of the former city fortification. It was erected in 1698 and is today the only town gate that has survived in its original form. It received its name by the Scandinavians who occupied the city at the end of the 17th century.
Unfortunately only a small part of the city fortification is still left. Most parts were destroyed in the past wars. This part shown in the photo was built between the 13th and 16th centuries.
At one end is the Swedish Gate at the other the Powder Tower.
Another photo opportunity on you walking tour of The Old City is The Swedish Gate, The Only original entrance left to the Old City, Built in the 17th Century. -- Well worth a look !!
Was built into the city's old fortification wall in 1698 - now it is a part of the House of Architects building. Fragment of the fortification wall has been restored nearby, at Torna street
Near the powder tower, you'll find a short part of rebuilt old Riga walls, with the only remained old access gate to the city , the swedish gate.
It was built by Swedens during their domination.