Three Brothers, Riga
The tradition that members of one handicraft live on one street was in full force and effect in medieval Riga, too. So we can find three dwelling-houses surviving from the former Backer Street side by side to each other, perhaps this is the reason why these houses are called Three Brothers.
The oldest brother was built at the end of the 15th century, it is the only premise that survived originally from that time, the next house is dated from 1646, but the last building is from the end of the 17th century. With the pediments facing the street these houses present the main principles of medieval building manner.
Reconstruction carried out by P.Saulîtis and G.Jansons.
Museum of Architecture is settled in 2 of these buildings.
On Maza Pils iela no 17, 19 and 21 are three old picturesque houses called Three Brothers. The oldest house is the white house on no 17. It dates from the 15th century and is the oldest preserved dwelling house in Riga. Old records say it was used as a bakery in 1697. The yellow house on no 19 got its present look in the 17th century, and the green house on no 21 got its look in the 18th century.
The Latvian Museum of Architecture is housed in the Three Brothers.
These residential buildings are charming, looks so much to be medieval. It is said, these three brothers (Tri Brali) are best examples of medieval buildings in Riga. The three brothers are different in years they exist too. The eldest brother is from 15th century and it is the oldest stone dwelling structure in Riga. Other brothers were built in 17 – 18th centuries, on one of them you can see even date when it was constructed.
The Three Brothers are said to be the best example for medieval residencial buildings in Riga. The oldest house (no. 17) was built in the 15th century, its brothers in the 17th and 18th centuries. No. 19 houses the Museum of Architecture.
These are dwelling houses, which were built in Middle Ages. Among Three Brothers the house with number 17 is the oldest stone building in Rīga which was built around 15th century. Another two buildings which stand beside were built later, which is also seen by different architecture styles. Three Brothers reflects the houses' building in ancient times when on small building plot were built houses. On the upper floors once there were stored goods.
The Three Brothers name comes from Tallinn where are three old dwelling houses with name Three Sisters. Check it here.
Nowadays the building houses Latvian Museum of Architecture.
For more photos click here.
The Three Brothers are three houses on Pils Street that were built in medieval times.
It is a perfect example that shows that back then members of all guilds used to live next to eachother.
The "White Brother" is the oldest house, dating back to the 15th century. It has typical characteristic of Latvian medieval architecture and is the only premise that is still in its original structure. It now houses the Latvian Museum of Architecture, which was founded in 1994.
The "Yellow Brother" in the middle dates back to 1646. The date is written on the facade.
The 2Green Brother2 is the youngest - constructed in the middle of the 18th century.
The Three Brothers are a row of three historic houses, each from a different period. The oldest, on the right, dates back to the late 15th century. It is a very functional house, with one large ground floor space for both domestic and trade purposes. By this time in Riga’s history there was considerable trade with the Netherlands and you can see the Dutch influence in the architecture here, especially the stepped gable.
The middle house was built in 1646, with the stone portal added exactly a century later. An inscription above the door reads "SOLI DEO GLORIA" (“Glory to God alone”). This is a more elaborate building inside as well as out, and as it houses the Latvian Museum of Architecture we were able to go inside to see inner courtyard and the huge fireplace in the main living / working room. There is no entry fee so do pop in even if you aren’t interested in the changing displays of architectural models.
The left-hand house is a narrow Baroque-style building and is the youngest “brother”, having been built in the second half of the 17th century. All three houses were reconstructed between 1955 and 1957, following wartime damage.
Next tip: the Lutheran Cathedral
Visit the oldest dwelling houses of Riga - The Three Brothers.
The Three Brothers represent different stages in the architectual development of Riga. The oldest brother (No. 17) was built at the end of the 15th century. No. 19 houses the Latvian Museum of Architecture.
Numbers 17, 19 and 21 in Maza pils are know as three brothers. The oldest of them with the Germanic step-gable and it dates back to the 15th century. They claim that it is the oldest domestic building in Riga.
This architectural ensemble that bears unofficial name Tris Brali or Three Brothers in English is located in the heart of the Old Town. It's a very good sample of medieval Riga dwelling buildings.
The oldest house called the White Brother is the most medieval and dates back to the 15th century. It has typical characteristic of Latvian medieval architecture and is the only premise that survived originally from that time.
The year of birth of the middle Yellow Brother is 1646. The date is written on the facade. The Green Brother is the youngest. It was constructed in the middle of the 18th century. With the pediments facing the street these houses present the main principles of the medieval architectural manner.
The Latvian Museum of Architecture that is housed in one of these buildings, and namely in the White Brother, was founded in 1994. The museum has a database of Latvian architects from 1869 up to the present. Its drawing collection contains up to a thousand original drawings and plans as well as qualitative blueprints and photocopies. The museum also offers some temporary exhibition programs.
The tradition that members of one handicraft lived on one street was in full force and effect in medieval Riga. These three dwelling houses are remains of former Backer Street, which of course was inhabited by backers. Standing side by side to each other, the buildings form a typical ensemble. And this is also the reason why they are called Three Brothers.
The buildings in the photo are known as Three Brothers. There are three buildings located in Maza Pills Street, no 17 is the white building being the oldest which dates back in the late 15th century and early 16th century. The other two no 19 and 21 are the younger brother which dates back 17th and 18th century respectively. The three buildings were born in different stages of Latvian architecture, thus the name three brothers’ came to light and at present No.19 houses the Latvian Museum of Architecture.
On Maza Pils Street you will find the three oldest residential buildings in Riga. These buildings have wonderful facades reminiscent of those grand buildings that line the banks of Amsterdam's canals, and it was the Netherlands, with its strong trading links with Latvia, that heavily influenced architectural design in those times.
This ensemble is a good sample of medieval Riga dwelling buildings. The oldest house No.17 was built in the XV century, No.19 - in 1646, No.21 - in 1718. inthe inner yard you can find walled up portals of old Riga houses.
Like Tallinn has the “Three Sisters”, Riga has the “Three Brothers”, three old merchant’s houses standing next to each other. Unlike in Tallinn, they do not really seem to belong to each other. They are quite different in size, shape colour and style. Number 17, the oldest non-clerical building in Latvia, seems to be the black sheep of the family. It is located a couple of feet away from the street, not standing in the same line as its younger brothers number 19 and number 21. While Number 17 is a true medieval beauty, Number 21 seems to be pretty modern compared to the others. Number 19, in the middle of all, dates from 1646 and houses the Latvian Museum of Architecture.
Another popular stop on any walking tour of the Old City is "The Three Brothers" These are the Oldest surviving residential house left in Riga and date back to the 15th century.
A Great photo opportunity !!