Riga Tourist Traps

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

Tourist prices in the Old Town

by HORSCHECK Written Jul 30, 2004

Postcard of Riga

Be prepared to pay high tourist prices in the cafes, restaurants and shops in the area around the Doma Laukums in the Old Town (Vecriga) The prices for drinks or postcards are often twice as expensive as in other places. Nevertheless, the centrally located cafes and restaurants are just nice for people watching ... :-)

• Trains

• Raimix's Profile Photo

No problems about Riga's panorama

by Raimix Updated Feb 25, 2011

View from Radison hotel, taking lift.

At first sight, it is hard to think where to find place to see panorama of Riga. Riga's central part is on plain grounds - no mountains, or even smaller or bigger ups and downs when walking. But no problem about it! I suggest you three places from where you can see very different and nice panoramas:

>>> Another bank of river Daugava, opposite to old town, you can walk through Vansu bridge (Vansu tilts). From another bank you see mostly old town, church spires, and castle.

>>> Reval hotel. It is in Brivibas street, just not so much walking from Freedom monument. Reval hotel offers you great views if you go up by lift and spend some time in the highest floor, where bar is.

>>> St. Peter's church. You can go up to the tower of church in old town (entrance is 2,17 euro). Here you see view of inside's old town and other districts.

• Raimix's Profile Photo

Interesting park bridge

by Raimix Updated Feb 25, 2011

I think you will be wondering why they put such locks on this bridge. At first I wrote that Latvians lock bikes there, when just coming to the centre (mostly for work, shopping). But for real, it is really nice tradition - when Latvians merry each other they put the lock on the park bridge with their names and after locking they throw keys into the river. It is like assurance, that the marital life will be nice and without divorces. Overall this is a nice bridge in the park, surrounding old town.

• Survive Latvia tips & tricks :)

by Murake Updated Mar 21, 2007

Hi,
    Let's start with the beginning. When you arrive at the Riga's airport(RIX), most likely, you will be surrounded by peoples offering you a taxi ride. My friendly advice is to avoid them ... this is now, a very common phishing method for foreign tourists and most likely you will be overcharged.If your baggage is not to big and you have enough time try to use the buss. It is number 22 and it will take you to Central Station (Stockmann - supermarket); it costs 0.30 Ls but for a big suitcase you will have to pay a small tax (I don't know the amount because I don't like to carry big suitcases :)). Anyway once you are in the buss be aware of pick-pocketer s and please, try to avoid route of trolleybus 15! in the morning is extremely crowded and it is the best way to loose your money and your passport :( .

Unique Suggestions: I almost forgot! On various websites they will tell you that the 22 buss is on airport station every 30 minutes this is the listed schedule but...It is not true! If your flight arrives in Riga around 17:00 local time be patient because the buss will arrive in station once at one hour or much late because between this hours 08:00-10:00 and 15:00 - 17:00 Riga is full of traffic jams! .Keep in mind that they're local currency is equal with one pound so much more then one euro or dollar so if you will buy something that you think is cheap make the calculations again it is possible to cost you a lot more.Coffee shops: I recommend you "Double Coffe" it is a mark very prevalent in all town but the price is a little high 2.50 Ls for a cappuccino...but they have a great music inside.Overall they will say about Riga that is the most beautiful town from Baltic Sea ...it may be true... I really do not share same opinion. In maximum a week you will have all the fun you can get in Riga and you will see almost everything.

Fun Alternatives: Practically their piece of resistance is the old town ... it is OK for a walk on a sunny day or two but after that, you will see about everything and another walk...hmm...will definitely be very boring.(Imagine that I have to stay in Riga about a year and a half ....:))) I recomend you a trip to Jurmala this town is very close to Riga 25Km and it is on sea side ...here ,if you arrive in summer, life is quite beautiful ! While you are in Riga try to find the shooting gallery ... that if you want a bit of adrenaline in your blood.It is a old Russian bunker where you can shot fire arms with live ammo and amazed or not.. is legal !
    In conclusion I would like to say that Latvian people are not the most friendly and hospitable people ... they deny with all their power the Russian language but everybody speaks it ... they try to forget their comunist past but also they try to sell it to us like a turist attraction ; they even have a museum in the central market. Museum of occupation. And they say that Latvia is the Switzerland of Baltic's ... I'm still trying to find why...

• gugi66's Profile Photo

Taxi

by gugi66 Written Sep 23, 2008

Turbo speed meter

The biggest thievs in all of Riga. We (I and my wife) came to Riga by boat from Stokcholm and outside the terminal there were only white taxis (red taxis is more honest).

So we took the withe one, the driver turned on the meter, starting cost at 1,5 Lat. So it say on the window. We went to the Freedom Statue, taxi driver stops and says 8,5 Lat and so it is on the meter, so I asume that the taxidriver drowe with high speed meter all the time. My first rip of and I havent even started sightseeing.

WELCOME TO LATVIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unique Suggestions: Allways tell the driver to put on the meter. Or deal with him about a fix price. Look at the meter all the time if it starts to go fast tell the driver.

A trip from the ship terminal to Freedom Statue should cost MAX 5 LATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

• nancyread's Profile Photo

Chequepoint - rip-off exchange rates

by nancyread Written Apr 6, 2007

Currency shark logo

Wealth Warning: Avoid changing currency at Chequepoint's branch in Riga - or anywhere else for that matter.

Some of my British and American friends have told me horror stories of the rip-off rates charged by Chequepoint when changing money into Euros. It seems to be a problem with this particular dealer - other VT members in Hungary and Hong Kong have reported the same kind of fraud.

My advice is not to use Chequepoint under any circumstances. Click on the logo so you can steer well clear of these sharks.

Fun Alternatives: In any event, you will get much more competitive rates drawing local currency on your Visa or Visa Electron card (preferably use a cash dispenser in a bank during opening hours and check the card slot shows no evidence of being fiddled with (a favourite trick is to slip a thin additional reader in). Shield the keypad with your hand as you tap the numbers in (in another scam, a concealed webcam films your PIN number).

• Business Travel
    • Seniors

• microsensazione's Profile Photo

ROYAL PUB, 16 Gin Tonics for "only" 600 EURO

by microsensazione Updated Aug 22, 2009

I made experience about on my first stay in Riga. Me and my friend met two girls. They began to talk with us in Kalku street and after 15 minutes they invited us to have a drink in ROYAL PUB. We did not drink so much (a total of 16 Gin Tonics). When I asked for the bill I was shocked: 420 LATS, more than 600 EURO!!! I asked for menu to check the prices. Prices were normal, so I discovered they wanted me to pay something I had not consumed! I told the barwoman there was a mistake but she told me: "If you don't pay I call our bodyguards".
    I paid but I signed them...
    So, dear Royal Pub, do you like be simpleton with us? OK... I'm a Virtual Tourist Member, potentially over one million of tourists will avoid you.
    What do you think about?

Unique Suggestions: Keep in mind this number: +371 22033000
    It is a TOURIST PROBLEM HOTLINE 24 hours in English language; it could help you to solve the problem.

• Work Abroad

• Groks, Mary, Nobu, and other RIP OFF bars

by inter.center Written Jun 13, 2008

You meet a girl or two somewhere, he asks you to go to a cool place called whatever. You go there, buy the girl couple of drinks, and then have to pay a huge amount of money.

Unique Suggestions: 1) Ask for a price list always. Words are nothing when you are going to the police later.
    2) If you are cheated in such kind of a place (there are several of them: Groks, Pink Panter, Mary, Mademoiselle, Nobu, etc), don't pay! These are relationships between customer and service provider, which, here in Latvia, are regulated by civil law. And the only thing that service provider can do - go to civil court, which will never be done by the owners of these places.
    3) Call the police. Be sure to ask for Central Police Station. These people know about the place, and know what to do.
    4) Be calm, security monkeys can beat you, and you won't be able to do anything because you're probably leaving in couple of days.(Weeks are needed to process the place)
    5) Never ever give your card to the staff. Better say, you don't have it at all. Check the amounts they are charging you. Ask for the receipt. Cancel the card as soon as you are out of the place. More money can be charged later.
    6) If you are let to go for the money to the hotel and one of the monkeys is following you - stay at the hotel reception, and call the police from there.
    7) If you friend is held in the bar, and you should go and bring the money to pay - call the police ASAP, and together with the police go for your friend.

Fun Alternatives: Any other place, where prices (when checked) are suitable for you.

• Acirfa's Profile Photo

Overcharging

by Acirfa Written Apr 29, 2008

I was not one of the conned but did hear that particularly in the nightclub area, people were overcharged by enormous amounts at the end of the evening, once requesting their bill. Take care also when using taxi's and request the price of a journey before taking the trip.

• Groks bar Riga rip-off

by mothoin Written Mar 24, 2008

Groks bar near the square: I wish I had known about this place before I went to Riga. On our last night my friend and I said we'd pop in here for a drink as it didn't look like a lap-dancing bar or strip joint. We ordered a pint of beer each and then approached by 2 studenty-type of girls who seemed pleasant enough, my friend and I felt a bit sorry for them as they told us all about the economic situation in Latvia etc. They then invited us to join them in the Disco bar in the back part of the bar. We offered to buy them a drink and even asked the waitress how much it was and she said 'thirteen eight' which I took to mean 13 lats 18 santimas which would be about 20 euro but when my friend tried to pay for it she pointed to the menu and lo and behold it was 138 lats (something got lost in translation i think) I went ballistic and wanted to fight my way out but my friend got nervous and pleaded with me to calm down as we'd end up in jail (apparently the cops are in on the hustle) in the end we paid so let this be a warning to anyone going to Riga (which I wouldn't recommend anyway) to stay away from this hole called Groks and don't feel sorry for any of the Latvian women who all seem to be part-time hookers out to fleece the tourists!!!!!

Unique Suggestions: Definitely don't buy anyone a drink no matter how genuine they seem to be!!!

Fun Alternatives: Go to an Irish pub

• leecouk12324's Profile Photo

Use the local Train and Buses. Say no to Riga Card

by leecouk12324 Written Jul 26, 2009

Many companies offer tours to places like Sigulda and also to the beach at Jurmala for very high price
    Jurmala can set you back 10 Latts on an organised tour - and is only around 2 latt return on train and you are flexible to come home when you want
    Similarly Sigulda is about 20 Latt and it is 1 hour away on local bus and was only 1.5 Latt return

Riga Card many people will like - but really Tram rides are so cheap at 50 cent each - and i only had need for Tam 1 time - i just walked everywhere

• Strip clubs

by MarkySummers Written Jun 8, 2007

Unless you are travelling as a 'couple' and are male, upon entering the city centre you will be continually pestered to visit one of the many 'free' strip clubs on offer in Riga, more often than not by trouser- stretchingly gorgeous females in their early 20's. While there is nothing wrong with strip clubs per se, when you inevitably give in, presumably after a few barley pots, be aware that they are almost always underground and hotter than the surface of the sun (especially july - september), staffed by extremely intimidating Russian gangsters and, if you are especially unlucky and end up in the one we ended up in, completely empty except for you, the gangsters and the creatures that pass for strippers. While the promise of free entry and 2 free drinks is technically fulfilled, if you dont keep your wits about you you could end up spending more in an hour than you would in a weekend in Monte Carlo.

Unique Suggestions: Dont expect Spearmint Rhino. It would be fair to assume that as Riga has, arguably, the most stunning women of any European city, that the ladies employed in a Riga strip club would come from the same stock. They don't. The ones we encountered wouldn't have been out of place in an early 1970's Glaswegian knocking shop. Following a few moments enjoying your warm Ukranian lager wondering why you're the only people in the club at 11 o'clock at night, and why the man who looks like Tony Soprano on the door is staring at you, you will be joined by a number of these young ladies (the same number that there is of you) who will pop themselves on your lap, talk to you in broken english and present you with the 'crazy menu'. By this point you will not have parted with any money, but this will soon change if you don't make it quite clear that you have no intention of paying £70 for a 'crazy' dance or a 'crazy' S&M special, described to me as ''dancing, with some fighting". The last throw of the dice is for the nice Russian Gangster to approach the table and ask you if you would like to buy the 'ladies' a drink. A 'no', whilst rather awkward at the time will result in no more than your free drink being snatched from you and being 'escorted' off the premises, a 'yes' will result in you buying at least 1 bottle of £70 'crazy' champagne and I wouldnt like to imagine what else.

• Business Travel

• The whole Riga Rip Off

by krisara Written Jan 24, 2007

Planning a trip to Riga? Cheap place, friendly people, no trouble. right? WRONG! Oh my god. Ive now travelled all over the world, and this place is the biggest rip off in the world. A 5 minute taxi ride = 8 Lats (8 pounds, 12 Euros), this was not just one taxi, this was every taxi. This is with or without the meter. Also, beer = 1.5-3 Lats, London prices my friends. Nightclub entrance, 5 Lats, what do the locals pay? 0.5 Lats. This is also the unfriendliest place i have EVER been to. I heard about the bad reputation this place had before i went, i just thought i could avoid several wallet lootings, but there was no reasoning with these unfriendly eastern european idiots. Why go to Eastern Europe, when your going to be paying Barcelona/Milan/London prices? And to top it off, random attacks for no reason on my english counterparts left us all feeling very very angry. Any help from the police? Bouncers? Absolutly no chance! This place will be a flash in the pan as for as tourism is concerned, and once this places bad reputation catches up, the rip off bars, taxis, restaurants, hotels and everyone else can go back to working in a factory for zero money. I strongly advise you to go elsewhere.

• microsensazione's Profile Photo

Places to AVOID

by microsensazione Written Aug 22, 2009

My apartment renter lives in Riga and suggested me a list of places to avoid.
    Here you are her BLACK LIST.

FOXY LOUNGE
    Terbatas 2; located below the "Fashion Café" in the basement of the "Vegas" casino at the corner of Terbatas and Merkela streets near flower market.

BABYLON CLUB
    Formerly "Roxy Club" in Kalku 24; located near the entrance to Old Town on Kalku Street.

ROYAL PUB
    Formerly "Groks Pub", "Lord's Pub" in Kalku 22; located next door to Roxy Club.

PUZZLE
    Formerly "Pink Panther" in Kalku 22; also located next door to Groks Pub.

MARY
    Located in Audeju 13, on the east side of Galleria "Centrs" Mall.

DD BARS
    I don't know where it is located...

SAXON
    Located in Laipu 7, near "Livu Square" in a small street to the right of restaurant "Steiku Haoss".

DOLL HOUSE
    Aka "Zig Zag", located in Marstala 12, to the right of Reformed Church.

BAR FLY
    Located in Vagnera 8, near "Livu Square" in a small street to the right of "Roxy", "Groks" and "Pink Panther".

ZEPHYR BAR
    Located near Galleria Center in Old Town, near the youth hostel.

MADEMOISELLE CIGAR CLUB
    Located in Valnu street, it's in Old Town across "Lounge 8".

NOBU SUSHI
    Located in Grecinieku 28 (Old Town).

Unique Suggestions: Keep in mind the number: +371 22033000
    It is a TOURIST PROBLEM HOTLINE 24 hours in English language. It could help you.

• Work Abroad

• Taxis from Riga Airport

by jlf_1980 Written Mar 3, 2010

When cathing a Taxi from Riga Airport try and use the NEW Air Baltic Taxi service. They have introduced a flat rate into the city 8LVL.

Riga taxis have a bad reputation for over charging tourist (same as most cities). One company you can also trust is The Red Taxi Company, they always use a meter.

You may find that many taxi drivers dont speak much english, is better to have your destination written down to give the driver. Also ask for a rough price before you get in the taxi.

Once in the city you can walk almost everywhere or use the tram system.

• Adventure Travel

Instant Answers: Riga

Comments

Riga Tourist Traps

Reviews and photos of Riga tourist traps posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Riga sightseeing.