Sigulda Transportation

Mountain Road

Most Recent Transportation in Sigulda

• Easiest way To Sigulda with Latvian Tour Guides

by JacekMiloski Written Jun 1, 2011

I had the oppotunity to go to Sigulda with a Latvian tour guide company. They offered a good trip. The price was 17 Ls included transport (it was Chrysler Voyager 7seater) to Turaida castle, a map of city and a bottled water + they gave a good tips what to see and experience there. The guide was knowledgeable and we had a good guided tour of Riga (starting from my hotel in old town till the edge of city + all interesting places till Sigulda). We been dropped off at Turaida castle (they offered to add a guide in Turaida castle for extra 5 Ls but I did not take it). I had a free time of 6 hours to spend in Sigulda. I would suggest them to expand free time to 7 or 8 hours but as I understood later it was possible to stay a bit longer... My tip is - if you want to spend longer time - inform them before the tour.

• Castles and Palaces
    • Hiking and Walking

• Raimix's Profile Photo

To Riga and From Riga

by Raimix Updated Mar 4, 2011

Landscape

From Riga and to Riga better to use train, it goes few times per day and takes about 1,5h.

About transportation in Sigulda and Turaida - you can take local bus if you don’t want to walk some 2 kilometres. If it goes from Sigulda, it stops just near castle in Turaida.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo

Going around Sigulda

by MalenaN Written Jan 19, 2009

Waiting for the bus in Turida

Sights in Sigulda are spread out over a large area. If it is nice weather and you have the time there are nice long walks you can do, but if you are short of time as I was, a good option is to take a bus.
    After arriving to Sigulda I first went to the tourist office where I got a good map and a time table for the bus to Turida and Krimulda. The bus is leaving Sigulda about every hour (not exactly) and first stops in Turida and then goes on to Krimulda. I took the bus to Turida and it was 0.30 Ls (December 2008) and took 10 minutes. Later I took a bus from Turida to Krimulda. It was another 0.30 Ls and took less than 10 minutes. After walking around in Krimulda I had hoped to take the cable car down over the gorge, but it turned out there were 50 minutes before the next one left, so I walked down the Mountain Road instead. It was very slippery and wet, but it only took me half an hour to get to Sigulda Castle Ruins by foot.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo

To Sigulda from Riga, and back

by MalenaN Written Jan 10, 2009

The train station in Sigulda

There are both buses and trains going between Riga and Sigulda about every hour.
    I arrived to the train station in Riga well in time for the 7.52 train in the morning, bought a ticket and went to one of the cafés at the station for breakfast. The train to Sigulda took 1 hour and 10 minutes and the ticket was 1.10 Ls (December 2008).
    At the tourist office in Sigulda I got a timetable for the buses and trains back to Riga. The departure time of the bus suited me better when I was going back. I bought the ticket from the chauffer on the bus and it was 1.50 Ls. Also the bus took 1 hour and 10 minutes.

Daytrip from Riga

by Dabs Written Jun 13, 2004

We took an express minibus that went directly from Riga to Sigulda, cost was .9Ls and the journey took 1:05. It makes stops along the way at roadside stops but Sigulda is the first actual bus station that you stop at.

Since it was our first trip by bus, we bought our tickets at the window at the Riga station, if you know where you are going you can also purchase on the bus. The bus drivers do make change but seem to prefer small bills or exact change.

Cable car

by Dabs Updated Jun 12, 2004

cable car

We had the bad luck to arrive at the cable car station right after a large group of schoolchildren. Just as I thought it was our turn to purchase tickets-slam! goes the little ticket window and the ticket seller assumed her next role as ticket taker and then yet another role as the cable car operator.

The cable car officially holds 22 people and the round trip seemed to take about 20 minutes. Patiently we waited for one trip, then another, then another and finally she reappeared at the ticket booth and it was our turn to go.

I at least got to chuckle when new people would come up and look at the cable crossing schedule as if it actually had some meaning :-) I think the official schedule had departures every 1/2 hour.

The cost for a one way ticket was 1 L, you can also make the return trip by cable car.

Bus from Turaida back to Sigulda bus station

by Dabs Written Jun 12, 2004

A good way to get from Sigulda to Turaida is to walk, taking the cable car to get over the Gauga Valley. After visiting Turaida, you might want to catch a bus back to Sigulda or the Sigulda bus station if you are headed back to Riga via bus.

The schedule is posted on the shelter across the road from the entrance to the Turaida Museum reserve but you do not catch the bus from the shelter. Look for a sign with a picture of a bus on it nearby, the buses do not stop at that shelter even though a bus schedule is posted.

Check the schedule before going into the reserve, I can't remember what the frequency is but it wasn't that frequent.

• ealgisi's Profile Photo

Train

by ealgisi Written Jul 5, 2007

Latvia has great train connections between cities.
    If you want to get from one city to the other i suggest to take the train, cheap solution.

Instant Answers: Sigulda

Comments

Sigulda Transportation

Reviews and photos of Sigulda transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Sigulda sightseeing.