New Laurentius church
This catholic church was inaugurated on 5th October 1893. It is built in the neogotic style by the Viennese architect Gustav Ritter von Neumann. From 1968 until 1978 in underwent big renovations. The main organ is from 1978.
This church is the landmark of Schaan and can be seen from afar.
On the front there is the monument of the Souvereign Johann 1840-1929 by Gottfried Hilti (1932).
The Dux chapel is called in German "Wallfahrtskirche Maria zum Trost auf Dux". If you want to visit it, then you will have a nice walk uphill of about 20 minutes. It is located between Hotel Dux and the monastery St. Elisabeth. Just on the parking behind the chapel there is a public toilet.
The chapel is very pretty indeed. Around the chapel there is a praying path. On the chapel grounds there is also a statue of Pope Johannes Paul II who visited Liechtenstein on 8th September 1985.
Original records of the first building are missing. But the present chapel goes back to 1743 and the tower to 1789. The hall outside goes back to 1829. It's the only chapel in all Liechtenstein which still has its baroque features.
The Roman fortress was built under Emperor Valentinian in 364-375 in late Roman time. The fortress also featured Roman baths. The first church within the fortress dates back to the 5th century. In 1500, today's late gotic church was built in its spot but the present church is obviously bigger and was therefore built on some remains of the fortress. The remnants of the fortress were dug out in 1956-58.
The Augsburg (Germany) to Milano (Italy) road went through Schaan that's why the fortress was built.
Dux chapel - interior and frescos
The chapel was renovated in dept in 1997/8. It is vey small, so it's actually amazing that the hall in front is so big and full of frescos.
Explore the World
- San Juan Municipio
- Nelspruit Hotels
- Tyler Hotels
- Ilha de Luanda Hotels
- Nathan Bedford Forrest State Park
- Belgrade Hotels