Kaunas Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Kaunas

• remigia's Profile Photo

SPURGINE: Guilty greasy pleasure....... SPURGINE

by remigia Written Mar 12, 2015

First of all .....W A R N I N G!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you are vegan or healthy food maniac or live from diet to diet- don't even come close- this is not a place for you....well, unless you want to see original interior of Soviet er in 1980ties.......
    Yeah...the place itself is not significant at all- yellow curtains and false flowers hide the inside of this bar from passers in Laisves al. Plain sign over the entrance says "SPURGINE". It might be translated something like "Doughnut-ery" and you probably have already understood what you can get there......After entering you will see rather dim place, dark walls decorated with imitation leathers panels, an old fashioned planked bar stand. And waitresses of uncertain age ,dressed up casually, in make-up that was fashionable maybe in 1980ties will welcome you. But the aroma of the place will start tempting you -so don't resist it. The coffee or tea is rather passable here, but that is not important. People are coming here to eat real doughnut with jam, curd dougnut, meat doughnut, doughnut without filling- all made traditional way and boiled in grease. Yeah - it's fat and perhaps unhealthy, but who cares?! That's what people are coming here for. The other speciality of the bar is chicken broth with meat pie. Who are the customers? Oh, it's total democracy- students, teenage couples, office assitants, workers, lawyers, grandmothers with kids.....It's not a place to sit&chat with your friends- people come here to have their fast greasy sinister delight of warm mouth melting bite of home made pastry. And sometimes during lunch time it's hard to do that so you just ask for take-away.
    I don't know when it was opened -maybe 1960ties- but here is one story that illustrates what the place it is and what it means for locals : Once i was having my favourite doughnut and cocoa and next to me there was sitting an elderly lady with a child, maybe 2 years old. A waitress asked the lady where had she been because she hadn't been here for some time. The lady said she was visiting her granchildren abroad. And the waiter asked if it's her grandchild. The lady told " No, it's acctually a great granddaughter. I raised my children and brought them here , then my grandchildren- and now, it's already the forth generation coming to the same place".
    So if you want to go for a snack to real place of locals - Spurgine is your choice.

• Zak's GRILL: THE REAL GRILL RESTAURANT

by SigitasJ Written Jan 13, 2015

Newly opened grill restaurant in Kaunas Old Town, which is always very comfortable environment quality food and pleasant service . Held business dinners and business meetings . There is also a banquet hall can accommodate up to 30 people . During the summer, the outdoor terrace you can enjoy a cup of coffee or even a T bone steak

Favorite Dish: All Beef meals

• Business Travel
    • Wine Tasting

Piano Piano: Italian on the Square

by antistar Updated Nov 28, 2013

When I saw a relaxed bohemian sitting outside enjoying his lunch while reading Slaughterhouse 5 in Lithuanian, I guessed this might be my kind of place. I was right. Despite what I'd heard about cuisine in Kaunas, this was really good quality and a fantastic location on the town square. It was the busiest cafe on the square, and with good reason. I only had a light lunch of tomato soup, but it was chunky, tasty and hearty, and served with delicious Italian bread.

• EasyMalc's Profile Photo

Berneliu Uzeiga: Traditional Lithuanian Restaurant

by EasyMalc Written Jul 24, 2012

The name of this restaurant in English is Shepherd's Inn so from the name you can see that it's a rustic type of place.
    The interior is typically Lithuanian with wooden tables covered in linen tablecloths and we were served by a waitress in national dress. To some people it may seem a bit kitsch but I actually enjoyed it. It was a quiet evening when we were here and so it gave me a taste of Lithuanian life from times gone by.
    If you want to savour traditional Lithuanian fare in a traditional Lithuanian restaurant I can definitely recommend this place.

Favorite Dish: Neither of us ordered a main dish but were happy just to indulge in some local beer and Kepta Duona, which is a plate of fried black bread sticks served with cheese and garlic mayonnaise. We both shared the 1 plate. I had never tried it before but be warned once you've tried it you'll be hooked, especially if you like savoury food like I do.
    The prices are very reasonable in here and judging by other peoples plates you won't go out of here hungry.

Chocolaterie: Chocolaterie

by antistar Written Jul 22, 2012

Not in the old town, and instead inside the Akropolis shopping mall, but if you love chocolate you won't want to miss this. The waitress was a little strange - I swear she had fake blue contacts on her eyes to go with her fake tan, but the chocolate infused coffee and chocolate cheesecake were fantastic.

Chocolaterie, Kaunas Chocolaterie, Kaunas

Tetulės Sriubinė: Soup

by antistar Written Jul 21, 2012

For local soups, served local style with old women cooking up vats of broth in the backroom, and a canteen service - pick it up in scoops and take it to your table. It's cheap, quick, filling, tasty and with a lot of vegetarian options. It's also very popular with the local office workers on their lunch break.

La Crepe: Crepes and Pancakes

by antistar Written Jul 21, 2012

After a long day it was getting late and we didn't have much time left for finding somewhere to eat, so we decided to eat somewhere we knew would be ok, and easy to feed our child. In Vilnius we'd enjoyed lunch at La Crepe, but in Kaunas that turned out to be a bit of a mistake. The food is ok, and fine for a lunch, but for a main meal it's disappointing. The service was the worst, though. Friendly, but amateur with long waits. I asked for a water with gas, and was brought some medicinal mineral water from Georgia that tasted like antiseptic. I ordered a beer, and it didn't turn up until we'd all finished eating.

Kids seem to love it though, it's not expensive and you know what you are getting. It's like TGI Friday's but Lithuanian.

Favorite Dish: Potato pancakes - at least they were good in Vilnius.

La Crepe, Kaunas

aj chocolate: breakfast time

by call_me_rhia Updated May 21, 2011

AJ šokoladas - what a ovely place to have breakfast... very fancy plave with a lot of elvet and a very quiet and serene atmosphere.

Favorite Dish: Great cfor breakfast, but do not expect croissants: it's cakes you are going there for... and n, coffee, you better skip it... have a hot chocolate instead; it's delicious.

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

berneliu uzeiga: tasting "cepelins"

by call_me_rhia Updated May 9, 2011

The professor that took us and our class around Kaunas recommened this restaurant, which is one of a chain famous for traditional Lithuanian dishes and country style interior.

Favorite Dish: We were in a hurry so our "guide" recommened that we had cepelin (pronounced something like zepelin) - because they were quick to cook. Cepelins are potatoes filled with cheese and meat, heavy but quite good... their elongated form reminds of that of the zepeling flaing device - hence the name.

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

bravaria: great beer, so-so food

by call_me_rhia Updated May 9, 2011

We had our first dinner at the Bravaria restaurant inside the Acropolis shopping complex, right by the skating rink. We had take a look at other restaurants but did not really look that appealing, so we chose this one expecting great beer.

Favorite Dish: Great beer it was. As for the food, we found it unassuming - but I was the luckiest one of the three: my pork skewer served with rice was OK. I remember that we tried some disserts, but none were good.

• satara's Profile Photo

LIDO: Self-service restaurant

by satara Updated Apr 4, 2011

This Latvian self-service restaurant chain entered Lithuanian market some years ago and was accepted with great enthusiasm.. Maybe because we didn't have any strong brand of self-service restaurants before them.
    So if you wish to have a not expensive lunch and shop in the hypermarket at the same time, come to "Lido" in Savanoriu avenue in Kaunas. Other restaurants of Lido are located are in Vilnius and other Lithuanian cities.

Favorite Dish: You can create your own menu and take all what you want.
    The specific symbol of "Lido" is wind-mills (as you can see reflection of it in the photo) and the interior design resembles the wooden tavern.

Lido restaurant in Kaunas

• vysnaite's Profile Photo

Pizza Jazz: A nice place for a chat

by vysnaite Updated Apr 4, 2011

I love this place for sitting with friends, having a coctail or divine desserts, occasional dinner. although it's called pizza jazz, I can't say I'm fond of their pizza's, but for all the rest it's a lovely place on my favourites list.

Favorite Dish: coffee (all kinds, from moca to real good esspresso), desserts (ice cream, strudel, and a loooong list of others). Why I like this place is that it has sections for smokers and non smokers, plus - a very good ventilation in the smoking section.

• Study Abroad
    • Wine Tasting

• vysnaite's Profile Photo

Berneliu, Uz^eiga: Traditional Lithuanian Food

by vysnaite Updated Apr 4, 2011

Almost all traditional Lithuanian dishes. They restaurant network has very cosy restaurants. Very nice traditional and at the same modern surroundings. Good interrior, food. In summer outside there's always a playground for kids and you can sit also outside.

I prefer the one that is in Silainiai distrcit (street: Baltu prospektas). But there're few smaller in the center (Donelaicio and Valanciaus street).

Favorite Dish: To get to Baltu prospektase: Public transport: from the center you should wait for minivan no. 35. In about 25 minutes you'll be there. After it goes up the mountain, makes a circle, passes trough big shop Maxima, turns left next to the bridge, on the left side you see a shop, you should get your butt out right there.

• leics's Profile Photo

The Crazy House.: Crazy? Not really.......

by leics Written Aug 28, 2010

I went to this bar/restaurant/cafe (the boundaries seem very blurred in Lithuania) simply because it was a) on my way back to the hotel and I was hungry and b) everywhere else which appealed was full (outside tables).

The advantage this place has is that there is a lot of outside tables on the opposite side of Vilniaus Gatve, with roofing and protected on one side by a fence.

I had a beer (very pleasant indeed...dark Suvtury's) and what appeared on the menu in English as 'pork leg' and peas (a 'beer snack'). I wasn't surprised that the peas were of the yellow split type, with onions, but should have realised that 'pork leg' was actually pig's feet. Well, piglet feet to be honest (they were very tiny).

Actually, the peas were very nice indeed and very filling. I didn't do much with the piglet feet, I'm afraid. :-(

Plenty of locals eating here, which is always a good sign. Prices as reasonable as everywhere else, menu in English and basic English understood by the waitresses.

Perfectly reasonable place to stop for a beer and a snack.

Split peas, onions and piglet feet Exterior Very nice beer
    • Seniors
    • Singles

• leics's Profile Photo

Dekaedras: Ideal location......

by leics Updated Aug 28, 2010

This rather nice restaurant on the Old Town square has chairs and sofas and tables outside, facing the Town Hall. I decided to eat my last meal there, because I thought it would be more expensive (being in a prime position) and I was trying to use up my litas.

They have a good and interesting menu, with some more-or-less traditional dishes as well as those with a general European focus.

I had a beer (of course)..the rather nice 'white' beer Svytry's 'Baltas', which is served with slices of lemon and is a really refreshing drink when it's hot (or when it's not).

Then I had filled carp, with mashed potatoes and vegetables.

It was delicious, and very filling.

And I still had litas left....the prices were still extremely reasonable.

Pleasant service, good English spoken, clearly very popular with wedding parties (several turned up whilst I was there on a Saturday evening.

Worth a visit.......

Restaurant exterior Svtury's Baltas The carp......
    • Seniors
    • Singles

Instant Answers: Kaunas

Comments

Kaunas Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Kaunas restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Kaunas sightseeing.