Kaunas Restaurants

another dish

Most Recent Restaurants in Kaunas

Piano Piano: Italian on the Square

by antistar Updated Nov 28, 2013

When I saw a relaxed bohemian sitting outside enjoying his lunch while reading Slaughterhouse 5 in Lithuanian, I guessed this might be my kind of place. I was right. Despite what I'd heard about cuisine in Kaunas, this was really good quality and a fantastic location on the town square. It was the busiest cafe on the square, and with good reason. I only had a light lunch of tomato soup, but it was chunky, tasty and hearty, and served with delicious Italian bread.

• Jetgirly's Profile Photo

Berneliu Uzeiga: Would You Like Kvass With That?

Dinner at Berneliu Uzeiga, Kaunas

My traditional Lithuanian meal at Berneliu Uzeiga was one of the best meals I ate on my trip. This is one of a chain of restaurants across the country that dish up traditional Lithuanian fare, and can even accommodate a vegetarian! I had an amazing dinner of buckwheat "pancakes" that had been fried to a crisp and topped with wild mushroom sauce, served with a side of herbed beets. And my beverage of choice in the Baltics? Kvass, of course! This is an amazing drink made from lightly fermented rye bread- here, they do their fermenting in-house! Don't miss a meal (or two, or three) here when you're in Kaunas.

Prezo: Pastry Party

by Jetgirly Updated Feb 24, 2013

Prezo Bakery, Kaunas

I noticed a number of interesting bakeries in the center of Kaunas, including Prezo, which has four locations in the city. Inside there were huge display cases chock full of baked goods, both sweet and savory. I even found an Advocaat-filled pastry! (Advocaat is a Dutch liqueur made from egg, sugar and brandy!) If you look closely at the photo you'll see that most of the pastries have small signs with descriptions in Lithuanian, but many can be deciphered by English speakers. Prices are ridiculously affordable and you can get your treat with a cup of coffee, tea or soda for a light breakfast or lunch.

Vero Cafe: Experiments in Coffee

Bumblebee at Vero Cafe, Kaunas

In addition to serving up standard drinks like coffee, cappuccinos, lattes and tea, Vero Cafe also makes bizarre seasonal drinks that you will want to order- and drink- just to say you did. Take, for example, last summer's "Bumblebee". Start with an ice-cold glass of Fanta Orange, top with a shot of espresso, and stir in some sugary caramel syrup. The result? A caffeinated drink that simultaneously tastes like nothing and everything. Perhaps when you visit they'll be offering a signature Anchovy Latte, or a Bacon Chai!

• Study Abroad

Iki Supermarket: Self-Catering from the Store

Individual Vodka Cups!

I really enjoyed browsing through Lithuanian supermarkets, especially IKI in the city center. Combining Western-style convenience with Lithuanian culinary trends, the supermarkets in Kaunas will have everything you need for self-catering, snacking or just entertainment! Look at those single-shot glasses of vodka with a peel-off lid! Caffeine-spiked chocolate bars for when you need an energy boost! Tender potato chips! And legitimately delicious-looking bags of yogurt! A woman could survive on those four foods alone!

Street Vendors: Self-Catering from the Street

by Jetgirly Updated Feb 24, 2013

Produce Vendor, Kaunas

Kaunas does not seem to have much street food culture, but in the old town I did notice a friendly woman selling fruits and vegetables from a small stall. If you've got kitchen access you could pick up some salad essentials here, or grab some fruit for your breakfast the next day.

• EasyMalc's Profile Photo

Berneliu Uzeiga: Traditional Lithuanian Restaurant

by EasyMalc Written Jul 24, 2012

The name of this restaurant in English is Shepherd's Inn so from the name you can see that it's a rustic type of place.
    The interior is typically Lithuanian with wooden tables covered in linen tablecloths and we were served by a waitress in national dress. To some people it may seem a bit kitsch but I actually enjoyed it. It was a quiet evening when we were here and so it gave me a taste of Lithuanian life from times gone by.
    If you want to savour traditional Lithuanian fare in a traditional Lithuanian restaurant I can definitely recommend this place.

Favorite Dish: Neither of us ordered a main dish but were happy just to indulge in some local beer and Kepta Duona, which is a plate of fried black bread sticks served with cheese and garlic mayonnaise. We both shared the 1 plate. I had never tried it before but be warned once you've tried it you'll be hooked, especially if you like savoury food like I do.
    The prices are very reasonable in here and judging by other peoples plates you won't go out of here hungry.

Chocolaterie: Chocolaterie

by antistar Written Jul 22, 2012

Chocolaterie, Kaunas

Not in the old town, and instead inside the Akropolis shopping mall, but if you love chocolate you won't want to miss this. The waitress was a little strange - I swear she had fake blue contacts on her eyes to go with her fake tan, but the chocolate infused coffee and chocolate cheesecake were fantastic.

Tetulės Sriubinė: Soup

by antistar Written Jul 21, 2012

For local soups, served local style with old women cooking up vats of broth in the backroom, and a canteen service - pick it up in scoops and take it to your table. It's cheap, quick, filling, tasty and with a lot of vegetarian options. It's also very popular with the local office workers on their lunch break.

La Crepe: Crepes and Pancakes

by antistar Written Jul 21, 2012

La Crepe, Kaunas

After a long day it was getting late and we didn't have much time left for finding somewhere to eat, so we decided to eat somewhere we knew would be ok, and easy to feed our child. In Vilnius we'd enjoyed lunch at La Crepe, but in Kaunas that turned out to be a bit of a mistake. The food is ok, and fine for a lunch, but for a main meal it's disappointing. The service was the worst, though. Friendly, but amateur with long waits. I asked for a water with gas, and was brought some medicinal mineral water from Georgia that tasted like antiseptic. I ordered a beer, and it didn't turn up until we'd all finished eating.

Kids seem to love it though, it's not expensive and you know what you are getting. It's like TGI Friday's but Lithuanian.

Favorite Dish: Potato pancakes - at least they were good in Vilnius.

aj chocolate: breakfast time

by call_me_rhia Updated May 21, 2011

AJ šokoladas - what a ovely place to have breakfast... very fancy plave with a lot of elvet and a very quiet and serene atmosphere.

Favorite Dish: Great cfor breakfast, but do not expect croissants: it's cakes you are going there for... and n, coffee, you better skip it... have a hot chocolate instead; it's delicious.

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

berneliu uzeiga: tasting "cepelins"

by call_me_rhia Updated May 9, 2011

The professor that took us and our class around Kaunas recommened this restaurant, which is one of a chain famous for traditional Lithuanian dishes and country style interior.

Favorite Dish: We were in a hurry so our "guide" recommened that we had cepelin (pronounced something like zepelin) - because they were quick to cook. Cepelins are potatoes filled with cheese and meat, heavy but quite good... their elongated form reminds of that of the zepeling flaing device - hence the name.

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

bravaria: great beer, so-so food

by call_me_rhia Updated May 9, 2011

We had our first dinner at the Bravaria restaurant inside the Acropolis shopping complex, right by the skating rink. We had take a look at other restaurants but did not really look that appealing, so we chose this one expecting great beer.

Favorite Dish: Great beer it was. As for the food, we found it unassuming - but I was the luckiest one of the three: my pork skewer served with rice was OK. I remember that we tried some disserts, but none were good.

• satara's Profile Photo

LIDO: Self-service restaurant

by satara Updated Apr 4, 2011

Lido restaurant in Kaunas

This Latvian self-service restaurant chain entered Lithuanian market some years ago and was accepted with great enthusiasm.. Maybe because we didn't have any strong brand of self-service restaurants before them.
    So if you wish to have a not expensive lunch and shop in the hypermarket at the same time, come to "Lido" in Savanoriu avenue in Kaunas. Other restaurants of Lido are located are in Vilnius and other Lithuanian cities.

Favorite Dish: You can create your own menu and take all what you want.
    The specific symbol of "Lido" is wind-mills (as you can see reflection of it in the photo) and the interior design resembles the wooden tavern.

• vysnaite's Profile Photo

Pizza Jazz: A nice place for a chat

by vysnaite Updated Apr 4, 2011

I love this place for sitting with friends, having a coctail or divine desserts, occasional dinner. although it's called pizza jazz, I can't say I'm fond of their pizza's, but for all the rest it's a lovely place on my favourites list.

Favorite Dish: coffee (all kinds, from moca to real good esspresso), desserts (ice cream, strudel, and a loooong list of others). Why I like this place is that it has sections for smokers and non smokers, plus - a very good ventilation in the smoking section.

• Study Abroad
    • Wine Tasting

Instant Answers: Kaunas

Comments

Kaunas Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Kaunas restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Kaunas sightseeing.