Kedainiai Local Customs

Most Recent Local Customs in Kedainiai

Common sow-thistles

by matcrazy1 Updated Apr 4, 2011

MEADOW  OF  COMMON  SOW-THISTLES

Excuse, it's rather more Lithuanian than Kedainiai local custom tip.

Driving around Lithuania at the beginning of May I saw meadows covered by numerous bright yellow flowers - common sow-thistles (Sonchus arvensis L. ssp. arvensis). They grew in Kedainiai as well. In Poland they were visible sign of spring.

As I know the common sow-thistles grow in many countries outside Europe as well. Aren't they the world's most common wild flower ?

• Eco-Tourism

Pyramidal cakes

by matcrazy1 Updated Apr 4, 2011

PYRAMIDAL  CAKES

There was tradition of baking such pyramidal cakes ("sakotis" in Lithuanian, "sekacz" in Polish) as on my picture in Lithuania and north-eastern Poland (Suwalki district). In the past they were baked mainly for wedding ceremonies. There was special celebration of cutting the cake and sharing among all, numerous wedding guests by young husband.

I am sure that this custom survived. I could see a lot of pyramidal cakes sold in Maxima supermarket in Kedainiai (look at my shoping tips, please). It costed 19,99 LTL (what a price :-). Hmm... I didn't buy it, I tried to be (again) on low calory diet :-).
    Do you want a recipe? Follow the link below, please.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Lithuanian influences in Poland?

by matcrazy1 Updated Jun 24, 2004

HOUSE  FROM  1939

Looking at some older houses in Kedainiai I found them very similar to numerous houses in Poland. Just one example on my picture: a red brick house with inscription 1939 on the upper part of its facade. It stood by the square at the end of Didzioji street overlooking Nevezis River on its back.

Does it prove Lithuanian influences in Poland or oposite: Polish influences in Lithuania? Well, both countries had shared, sometimes very difficult (sorry, Lithuania), sometimes great and famous history. So, no wonder, they are similar esp. north-eastern Poland looks like Lithuania. Add there are the same in both countries foreign influences of former Soviet Union (in the whole Poland) and old Russia (in Eastern Poland esp.).

Window patterns

WHAT  A  PATTERN!

There were a few patterns of painting windows and its shutters on old, wooden houses in Kedainai:
    1. Like on my picture: two contrasting colours of which one was the colour of the whole house,
    2. In one colour but always different than the whole house (brown shutters and yellow house for example),
    3. Not painted for years :-))).

Enjoy your eyes!

• Architecture

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

More and more renovated houses :-)

JUST  RENOVATED  :-)))

Walking around the old town I saw a lot of just renovated old houses. And there were next ones renovated.
    It seems that most (or even all) renovation works started when Lithuania and Kedainai regained independance in 1990 after over 50 years of Soviet occupation. And Lithuanian are crazy about their identity :-))), so I am sure they will not lose much of Lithuanian unique character, being European Union member now.

The previous authorities (of former Soviet Union) didn't pay any attention about Lithuanian heritage. I was told that they first robbed than created "Museum of Atheism" inside beautiful, renovated in 90', wooden Saint Joseph Roman catholic church. Hmm... no comments...

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

A lot of satellite dishes

SATELLITE  DISH

I noticed many satellite dishes fixed on roofs and by windows of houses in Kedainiai. They looked somewhat strange and out of place especially on old houses in the old town.
    It seems that they didn't have cable TV (or maybe it's more expensive) and had to receive foreign TV channels by individual satellite dishes. Am I wrong?

What a fishing place!

FISHERMEN  ON  TOP  LEVEL  OF  A  BRIDGE  PIER

When I was crossing Nevezis River by a bridge exclusively for pedastrians I noticed fishermen trying to catch fish and sitting on its... cement, supporting piers. Hmm... the top level of the piers (a few stores/floors above the water level) where they sat was about 2-3 meters below the surface of a bridge. It was not so easy to get there.

• Fishing

Mercedes in Kedainiai

VERY  OLD  MERCEDES  CAR

I noticed that locals prefered old German cars (especially Mercedes) than old Japanese cars. Why? Well, maybe they were less expensive, maybe they were better for loong use.

And as I know Germans used to treat their cars very seriously (prestigous) so they used to change them for new ones every say 3-5 years (quite different than say Suedes). Germany being the largest car market in Europe is forced to sell numerous used cars at lower prices. A lot of them go to more poor East which raises the prices. Well, since 1 May 2004 Lithuania is European Union member and there are no customs among EU countries, for cars as well.

There were no American cars in Kedainiai or I didn't see any.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

They really worked behind this window!

OFFICE  WINDOW

I turned from the main, renovated street of Kedainiai (Didzioji) to a secondary street and I found out this very neglected building on my picture.

Look at this window with partly broken glass and wooden boards put instead on my picture. Believe me, I saw a young guy dressed in a suit and a tie working on a computer behind this window. When he noticed me with my camera he smiled and shut the roller blinds before I took my picture.

Versandas/porches or sun-parlours?

SUN-PARLOURS  IN  APARTMENT  BUILDING

This is typical apartment building in Kedainiai on my picture. The similar buildings housed a lot of usually very small and poor quality flats/apartments are common in over half of our globe where former Soviet Union ruled.

In Kedainiai these buildings were maximum 5- store as there was no need to build a lift/elevator in up to 5-store buildings. What I found interesting many inhabitants put up a kind of small verandas (porches) or rather sun-parlours on their balconies. Why? Just to make their small flats a little bit larger, I suppose.
    By the way - similar but larger balconies and often wooden with verandas (porches) or sun-parlours were typical for German houses of which many survived in western... Poland. Does it prove German influances in former Soviet Union?

• Architecture

Soviet Union custom 2

APARTMENT  BUILDING

Excuse, it's not at all Kedainai local custom but rather former Soviet Union custom.

I found housing districts around the old town of Kedainai. They consisted of apartment buildings with numerous small flats/apartments put one by one. They looked like... look at my picture. They were dirty, very neglected and were not renovated for years. They were for sure built when Lithuania was occupied by the Soviet Union.

A lot of folks still live in such not comfortable conditions in all post-Soviet countries around the globe. Well, communist, Soviet authorities distributed lack of freedom, poverty and poor housing conditions to its citizens in... more than a half of our globe.

Nowadays at least in my country the apartment buildings belong more and more often to individuals instead of anynomous state. It means they are one by one renovated, painted etc. Does it works another way in Kedainiai? Hopefully not...

Women in kerchiefs

PRAYING  WOMEN  IN  RUSSIAN  ORTHODOX  CHURCH

I saw quite many local women in kerchiefs on their heads esp. in local churches. It seems that they dressed them when they went to a church, esp. to Russian Orthodox church like these two women - prayers on my picture. I was surpriced that younger women dressed kerchiefs as well.

Milk for coffee

by matcrazy1 Updated May 15, 2004

LITHUANIAN  MILK  FOR  COFFEE

Whenever I ordered coffee with milk in Lithuania they gave me the milk in small plastic container (except one restaurant in Vilnius). Sometimes one and I had to ask for more. Luckily they didn't charge me for additional milk like it happened to me once in... Czech in late 90' :-))).

In Kedainai I got "plastic milk for coffee" even in the best and the most expensive, I think, Gildija restaurant. Simply, I would prefer to get fresh and warm milk served in separate milk pot, at least in better restaurants. Hmm... the waitress didn't understand either my English and my Russian. Maybe... next time :-).

Lithuanian patties

by matcrazy1 Written May 15, 2004

PATTIES  =  PYRAGELIU

They served thin chicken broth with three hot homemade Lithuanian patties (Sultinys su pyrageliu - 3.50 Lt) in Gildija restaurant in Kedainai. The Lithuanian minced meat patties were of disc shape and tasted delicious. Simply my recommendation!

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Flowers in the past and nowadays

by matcrazy1 Written May 15, 2004

BY  ST.  JOSEPH  CHURCH

I found a few places with beautiful just blooming (on 1 May) flowers and bushes in Kedainiai.

In the Soviet Union the only (OK, almost the only) ordered areas with growing and blooming flowers were put up around monumental communist monuments (of Lenin, the Soviet Army etc.), offices of communist party and authorities etc. Now, in Kedainiai they are around... churches as you can see on my picture.

• Eco-Tourism

Instant Answers: Kedainiai

Comments

Kedainiai Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Kedainiai local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Kedainiai sightseeing.