Kedainiai Warnings and Dangers

SALAD IN WINE VINEGAR
    MAIN ALTAR OF ST. JOSEPH CHURCH
  • APARTMENT  BUILDING  IN  HOUSING  DISTRICT
    APARTMENT BUILDING IN HOUSING ...

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Kedainiai

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Thick sauces and NO low calory diet :-)

by matcrazy1 Updated May 21, 2004

MY  PORK  WITH  MUSHROOMS

Generally Lithuanian cuisine definetely was NOT for low calory diet fans.

They added thick sauces (made of flour) to most meat dishes in Restoranas Gildija in Kedainiai. There was no information about it in English menu. The waitress could speak fluently :-) Lithuanian, good Russian and only a little bit English. Just in case you don't accept them try to explain it her somehow haha.
    I ordered Pork with mushrooms: stuffed pork, mushrooms, roasted potatoes, green vegetables (Kiauliena smaigstyta pievagrybais - 13.50 Lt) and the sauce I didn't expect tasted... delicious. Hmm... I was not on a low calory diet :-).

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Choose right film and time

by matcrazy1 Updated May 16, 2004

MAIN  ALTAR  OF  ST.  JOSEPH  CHURCH

Luckily my digital camera allow manual change of film (virtual film) sensitivity from 100 to 800 DIN. So, when I entered the churches of Kedainiai I only switched my camera from 100/200 to 400 DIN. Well, pictures taken with 800 DIN were... not as clear as I would like to see.

If you don't have a camera with such possibilities... hmm... there are a few possibilities:
    1. take 2 cameras with two diffirent films: 400 for poor light inside the churches, 100 for light, sunny weather outside,
    2. if the weather outside is good, sunny take a tripod to take pictures inside churches and choose film 100,
    3. if the weather outside is poor (poor light, I mean) choose film 400 and... enjoy taking pictures both outside and inside.

Just one more warning: churches were lighted inside during services (holy masses) and they used to turn most of the light off a few minutes after, at least when I was there on Saturday's afternoon. Holy masses took place each day, but more often on Sunday (and on religious holidays). Look at schedule of holy masses in Saint Joseph Roman catholic church:
    Monday: 6.00 pm
    Tuesday - Friday: 8.00 am and 6.00 pm,
    Saturday: 10.00 am and 4.00 pm (it was my holy mass :-),
    Sunday: 8.00 am, 10.00 am, 12.00 am.
    Don't forget to check whether you have Lithuanian time and enjoy :-))).

• Architecture

Blurred pictures inside churches

by matcrazy1 Updated May 16, 2004

MAIN  ALTAR  OF  ST.  JOSEPH  CHURCH

I took a lot of pictures inside churches of Kedainiai. Hmm... I still didn't buy a tripod, so some of them were a little bit blurred (do NOT enlarge them, please :-).

Keep in mind that a built in (or even additional) flash on most cameras can only light up an area between 3 - 6 m in front of the camera (10 - 20 ft, depends on the flash and DIN of your film). Additionally using flash inside old churches maybe forbidden not to destroy old paintings for example. My camera's shutter opens and has to stay open for even up to a few seconds for enough light to hit the film to make an image at poor light condition. The problem: most people cannot hold a camera perfectly still for more than a small fraction of a second - usually more than 1/30 or 1/45 s. Just notice here that larger camera you have, easier you can hold it. That's why I have a large one.

So, if you want to take pictures inside the churches (except objects up to a few meters in front of your camera) you must use a tripod, never mind how good (and expensive) is your camera.

It will not be easy to choose the best tripod :-):
    SLIK tripods (Japan)
    MANFROTTO tripods (Italy)
    about tripods on photo.net

• Architecture

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Not much choice for vegetarians

by matcrazy1 Written May 15, 2004

SALAD  IN  WINE  VINEGAR

There was not much choice of dishes for vegetarians in Restoranas Gildija in Kedainai. Meat (pork, beef and chicken) is basic ingredient of Lithuanian cuisine.

But they offered some fish, seafood and Lithuanian pancakes as well (check my restaurant tips, please). Add here seasonal salad in wine vinegar. We ordered one (3.50 Lt), nothing fancy but it tasted good.

Closed tourist information office

CLOSED  TOURIST  INFORMATION  OFFICE

I followed the sign "I" and I finally parked my car just by Kedainiai tourist information office (Kedainiu Rajono Turismo Informacijos Centraas). I needed some info and a map of Kedainiai but the doors were closed in the afternoon on Saturday in May. Maybe I was really just after 3.45 pm... it's a pity.

Just in case... the office was located on northern end of the main town street called Didzioji.
    Address:
    Didzioji g. 1,
    Kedainiai,
    Lithuania.
    E-mail: kedainiaitic@centras.lt

As I understood the advertisement on the door it should be open:
    Mon - Fri: 8.00 am - 5.00 pm,
    Sat: V - VIII 8.00 am - 3.45 pm, IX - IV - closed,
    Sun: closed.
    Notice the lunch break from 12.00 am - 12.45 pm.

Don't they have more tourists in weekends? Well, to be honest it seemed that we were the only ones.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

It was NOT a car country but soon...

STREETS  INSIDE  HOUSING  DISTRICT

Main highways and streets esp. in the old town were of good or very good quality. Many of them were renovated in recent years, I think.

But inside housing districts of Kedainiai I found streets like... better look at my picture. They were very bumpy, rather for horses than modern cars, OK maybe for 4x4 trucks. Hmm... the Soviet Union surely was not a car country. I do believe that Lithuanians will improve it soon like it happened (and still happens) in other countries which were occupied by the Soviet Union.

No maps

THE  ONLY  MAP  OF  KEDAINIAI

I was looking for any map of Kedainiai in its old town but the only one I found was put on large information table on the right side of the highway 229 at the southern entrance to the city. I easy found it as there was huge yellow, made of stone sign KEDAINIAI there. I looked at the map to get general orientation on the town. And I did right.

I didn't find any other map put inside the town or sold at any stores there. The tourist information was closed on Saturday afternoon. Never mind, the old town was compact, easy to walk around and the locals were very friendly and helpful for me. They knew Russian or... Polish I was lucky to speak as well.

But now, I found the map of Kedainiai on the web: follow the link below and print it out if you need.

• Hiking and Walking

Unsafe housing districts?

NEGLECTED  APPARTMENT  BUILDING

I felt very comfortable and safe walking around the old town although with my camera and small, city backpack I surely looked like a tourist.

But, I felt neither comfortable nor safe in neglected, housing districts around. I would rather not go there at night. Maybe I am wrong. I met only very friendly locals in Kedainiai.

But the appartment buildings they lived in looked worse than slums in American inner cities (I saw them in Los Angeles once). So, being a little bit crazy about personal safety I would not go there alone at night. By the way what for to go there? OK, if I would meet a friend living there...

Skip it unless...

by matcrazy1 Written May 14, 2004

APARTMENT  BUILDING  IN  HOUSING  DISTRICT

Lithuania and Kedainiai were beautiful, simply my strong recommendation to visit.

But skip neglected and dirty housing districts full of appartment buildings built when Lithuania was occupied by the Soviet Union unless you want to get to know how "powerful" and "great" for its citizens the Soviet Union was. These areas around lovely and mostly renovated old town were very neglected and not clean in Kedainiai. Maybe not safe as well (?).

Instant Answers: Kedainiai

Comments

Kedainiai Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Kedainiai warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Kedainiai sightseeing.