Church of St. Mary assumption
The church of St. Mary Assumption was built in 1648. Actually it got its shape so years earlier, as it is gothic and baroque in style. The church has quite massime entrance-gates. On the left side wall, walking from former town hall square, you could see a cannon ball left. It is a sign from 17th century, war with Sweden.
Small hill of crosses
The real one, big one Hill of Crosses is located near Siauliai, but Merkine has its own small hill of cross.
The first crosses appeared here after Second World War, when resistance of Lithuanian people started (because of Soviet occupation). Crosses were built to remember these who died for resistence. Time by time more crosses appeared here. Nowadays here is one of the most visited places in Merkine.
Monument of Petras Cvirka
Monument for Petras Cvirka (from 1994) stands just nearby the school of the name of the same prosaist. Petras Cvirka got populariy after writing stories, based on folklore. In his books you could find mystical stories how one of another mound or lake appeared, stories about giants (big people), living long long time ago and defending their land.
He is still discussed as controversial as well, as in Soviet times he wrote some politically positive articles, ordered by Soviets.
Museum of regional studies and genocide
I haven’t been inside museum, but the building itself have long history. Here, in 16th century, Merkine renaissance town hall stood, after it got damaged the Orthodox Cross of Crist church was constructed (in 1888) directly on the basement of former building.
Nowadays, strange, but former church houses museum of regional studies and genocide.
Mound of Merkine
Mound of Merkine in medieval times housed the strong castle. At the second half of 14th century writings the castle was called as “one of the strongest in Eastern Europe” and “one of the strongest in Lithuanian land”. Dukes of Lithuanian Grand Duchy were using this catsle for political meetings and stayed here for hunting around.
As some other castles in Dzukija region (as, for example, Liskiava castle), fortress lost importance after winning battle of Grunwald (Zalgiris), year of 1410.
Despite the mound is empty nowadays, being at top gives spectacular view of confluence of Nemunas, Merkys rivers.