Siauliai Warnings and Dangers

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Siauliai

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Bumpy sidewalks and others

by matcrazy1 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Walking on a bumpy sidewalk somewhere close to cathedral I almost fell down and sprained my ankle. Luckily my good walking shoes did its work great. So, my advice is to watch steps while walking on sidewalks in downtown Siauliai. They are more or less bumpy.

Another warning is for guys only. Please, remember to take your hat, cap or any other head covering off before entering a church.

Remember that opposite to most visitors' need the Siauliai Tourism Information Centre (Vilniaus Street 213) is closed on Sunday and open shorter on Saturday (10 am - 4 pm) than from Monday to Friday (10 am - 6 pm). I found it back to a consumer approach very Soviet in style.

SIDEWALKS ARE NOT FLAT IN SIAULIAI
    • Hiking and Walking

• happyhourkid's Profile Photo

Be careful after dark

by happyhourkid Updated Oct 15, 2008

Before I begin, I must say that everyone I encountered in Siauliai were absolutely polite and and pleasant. Actually, I thought that everyone was quite friendly (especially the guy that helped me figure out how to work the gas pump when I stood there looking foul and ridiculous). And I'm sure this warning can just about apply for anywhere you may visit. But from what I have heard elsewhere about Siauliai, it can be dangerous, especially for minorities. Apparently, there is a faction of skinheads in the area that are fairly intolerable to foreigners-especially the ones walking around at night alone. On a couple of occasions, some of the local NATO personnel have been accosted as well, while having an evening in town. It doesn't happen too often, but it does happen. While I was there, the bartender at Kapitonas Morganas told me a couple Danish soldiers got beat down coming drunk out of a bar. They stole their cell phones and wallets. Again, not too much different of a risk than anywhere you may visit, but be careful. If you go out at night, don't go alone. Stay only to the roads you know, and don't get too pie-eyed. It's hard to defend yourself against a group of raging Lithuanian hooligans when you're three sheets to the wind. After all, you're already at a disadvantage since skinheads have no hair you can pull : )

• Beer Tasting

• yumyum's Profile Photo

Don't get lost

by yumyum Written Jan 15, 2007

These terribly helpful signs can be found in the pedestrian zone on Vilniaus. I'm sure they are meant to help you finding things but obviously I caught them right in the "making". Let's hope that when you get there, they will be really telling you things.

unhelpful signs

• C_C_twins's Profile Photo

warning for men!

by C_C_twins Written Jan 28, 2005

men be very careful in my town and dont walk alone in the evenings and at nights.You probably will be beated the same night as you are here, it happens all the time with drunks foreigners and "Nato" men who works here in my city.

• Dany_Kulta's Profile Photo

Neonazis-skinheads

by Dany_Kulta Written Sep 23, 2003

Last trip in August 2003, I was with a friend from India, so really much more tanned than me, and he has been confronted to a group of skinheads (just talking), then during the day we saw more and more skinheads, so I decided to leave the city as the town isn't that big and we were easy to find.....

Instant Answers: Siauliai

Comments

Siauliai Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Siauliai warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Siauliai sightseeing.