Trakai Travel Guide

by lotharlerch

Trakai Things to Do

• mulivieri's Profile Photo

by mulivieri Updated Nov 14, 2003

In Trakai we've two castles. The first one you'll meet on your street is the oldest one of it, but unfortunally now you cannot see quite nothing of it was, and however it's forbidden at the people. The second one is the "newest" and it was built because the king thought he needed a best defensive place for his body. It was build on a little island in the lake and the only access way is by a thiny road that you can move yourself only by feet. It's very nice and in a good state (but I believe it was restructurated). When you'll arrive you'd to pay 8 Litas (about 2.5 euro ) for the entrance.

• mulivieri's Profile Photo

by mulivieri Written Nov 14, 2003

How I just said you in my introduction page, Trakai is a little town just away from Vilnius. You can reach it from Vilnius by bus or train (there are many bus/train in a day, about one per hour). When you arrive in the terminal you'd to walk about for 2 km before you can reach the first castle, but however you can use this time to see the city. Trakai was build on a little peninsula on a little lake.

• Trakai Hotels

0 Hotels in Trakai

Trakai Transportation

• by perkunas Written Sep 15, 2002

Not knowing the bus system, and speaking no Lithuanian, I thought it wise to buy an a ticket at the ticket window in the bus station, rather than trying to pay on the bus. After much confusion with the ticket seller (the bus schedule had changed that day, but the one on the wall was still the old one), I bought a one-way ticket, as she wouldn't sell me a return ticket. Should have been a hint... I was mighty embarassed giving the bus driver a fancy preprinted ticket for the eqivalent of (if my memory serves) less than 50 cents US, when everyone else was throwing change in a basket. I paid my return fare with pocket change. :-)

Trakai Local Customs

• Yubert's Profile Photo

by Yubert Written Mar 11, 2003

I was told that in Trakai, the belief was that if your house had three (3) windows, facing the street, that meant you'll have good luck. Just like this house.

• Architecture

Instant Answers: Trakai

Comments

Trakai Travel Guide
Map of Trakai