Trakai Favorites

Most Recent Favorites in Trakai

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

Trakai Island Castle in far 1968

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Updated Jul 7, 2013

Favorite thing: Trakai Island Castle was my first European-view Castle which I was fortunate to visit in July of 1968. That was our trip around Belarus, Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia by two cars with my father (Moskvich-408) and my uncle and aunt (Moskvich-403).
    I was 13 years old and like all boys and youths was fond of Walter Scott ("Ivanhoe", "Quentin Durward"), Henryk Sienkiewicz ("The Teutonic Knights" with a 1960 feature film of the same title).
    That's why I was very impressed with the Castle.
    Besides that I knew that the Trakai Island Castle was the only castle on the territory of the Soviet Union (Lithuania was the Soviet socialist respublic).
    I wanted to come back there all these years. But I didn’t want to spoil impressions out of my youth. This year we're planning to see the Malbork Castle in Poland. After that I make a decision whether I return to Trakai or not...

13-years old Sergey in Trakai

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo

Trakai In You Pocket: highly recommended!

by CatherineReichardt Written Jun 27, 2011

Favorite thing: I have HORSCHECK to thank for introducing me to the 'In Your Pocket' series of tour guides, which we first had the opportunity to 'road test' in Tallinn (when the hotel we stayed in provided a copy of Tallinn In Your Pocket in each room).

For my money, it's a much more useful travel guide than the Lonely Planet or Rough Guides that we tend to use when we travel. In many ways, it's an unfair comparison, as the 'In Your Pocket' series focus on a single city, and are updated every couple of months, so, as you would expect, it is more current - particularly on events - and can provide information on a wider range of attractions than a regional guide which is only updated every couple of years. Also, you do have to have identified the city (rather than just the country) that you want to visit before the In Your Pocket guides come into their own, so I would suggest using a conventional tour guide for your initial planning and then supplementing this with the more local insight these publications offer.

For me, the strength of this guide is that it is written by English-speaking writers who are resident in the city. This means that the descriptions are livelier than often awkwardly phrased tourist material which is clearly translated from another language. I also thought that the mix of attractions and events listed was varied and would appeal to a range of interests and ages.

At present, the In Your Pocket series tends to focus on cities in Central and Eastern Europe, although new titles are continually being added.

For the Trakai guide follow this link: http://www.inyourpocket.com/lithuania/trakai

• ginte's Profile Photo

Information

by ginte Updated Nov 23, 2005

Favorite thing: If you haven't found an information you were looking for at my Trakai page, take a look at the official Trakai website: http://www.trakai.lt I'm sure that there you'll find all information you need: schedules of the buses, restaurants, accomodation, history of Trakai, etc.

From the inner yard of the castle

• Avieira67's Profile Photo

SWIM AND ROW

by Avieira67 Updated Aug 25, 2005

Favorite thing: I was expecting only to visit the castle, but I couldn't resist to swim in this wonderful place.
    When I was going out from the islet, near the bridge, I was well surprised by an old man renting a small boat to row. So, I decided to row.

Fondest memory: By the first time in my life, I decided to row.

Town built on water :-)

by matcrazy1 Written Aug 23, 2004

Favorite thing: Trakai was a town built on water. It was located on long peninsula surrounded by five lakes: Lukos (Bernardinu), Totoriskiu, Galves, Akmenos and Gilusio. There was a bridge over a lake which connected the northern end of the peninsula with main land. Look at the clickable map of Trakai here, please.

GALVE  LAKE  AND  ISLAND  CASTLE
    • Hiking and Walking

Orientation and hours

by matcrazy1 Updated Aug 23, 2004

Favorite thing: There was this map, on my picture, put by the entrance to the Trakai insular castle. Enlarge it and look, please. The castle consisted of the two parts:
    1. Forecastle - on the bottom, larger part in area, there was part of castle exposition there (in western wing of a yard);
    2. Main castle (called Palace) - upper-right on my picture, smaller in area but higher, residential area of the castle which housed historical exposition.

The two parts were seperated by deep moat and connected by a drawbridge. The moat was dry. When you walk around the castle you can walk along there.

HOURS
    Summer season:
    Monday to Sunday 10.00 am - 7.00 pm
    Winter season:
    Tuesday to Sunday 10.00 am - 5.00 pm
    Warning: castle bookstore and souvenir stores closed earlier, at 5.00 or 6.00 pm. Well, there was no explanation when summer season started and ended. June was summer season. Hmm... I think that summer is from May till September (but maybe June to August only). Excuse, I don't know.

MAP  OF  TRAKAI  INSULAR  CASTLE LEGEND TO THE MAP OF TRAKAI  INSULAR  CASTLE

Symbols, signs, explanations, languages

by matcrazy1 Written Aug 22, 2004

Favorite thing: Walking around the Trakai castle I saw some information symbols which were not always easy to understand. They were explained in both Lithuanian and English on the map put at the entrance to the castle - enlarge my picture, please.

Almost all items displayed in the castle exposition were explained in the two languages: Lithuanian and English. At some places add explanations in Polish and Russian but forget about other languages. Well, there was limited choice of guides and travel books in German and French available in castle bookstore.

SYMBOLS  AND  EXPLANATIONS

Old or new castle?

by matcrazy1 Written Aug 21, 2004

Favorite thing: The Trakai castle was built in the late 14th century. I could see this scale model of Trakai castle from 1950, on my picture, in the castle museum. As I noticed most of the forecastle and many parts of the Palace were completely destroyed that time. Hmm... larger part of the castle, I could admire, was not authentic but newly built.

SCALE  MODEL  OF  TRAKAI  CASTLE  IN  1950

Guided tours

by matcrazy1 Written Aug 21, 2004

Favorite thing: There were a lot of groups, usually small ones (up to 10-15 persons) guided by hired guide in the Trakai castle. I could hear mainly Polish and Russian language, but there was one group guided in English as well.

Guided tours for groups up to 30 persons costed:
    - in Lithuanian language - 40 Lt (for Lithuanian pupils - 20 Lt)
    - in foreign language - 50 Lt (€ 15; US$ 18; 70 Polish zl).
    To hire a guide in foreign language book in advance in Trakai History Museum - details here.

WITH  A  GUIDE

Instant Answers: Trakai

Comments

Trakai Favorites

Reviews and photos of Trakai favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Trakai sightseeing.