Trakai Restaurants

Kybyn
    by Tuna_ank
  • BILED POTATOES SERVED TO COLD BETROOT SOUP
    BILED POTATOES SERVED TO COLD BETROOT...
    by matcrazy1
    MY GIRA AND SVYTURYS BEER
    by matcrazy1

Most Recent Restaurants in Trakai

• Raimix's Profile Photo

Senoji kibinine: Kibinine

by Raimix Updated Apr 18, 2011

Restaurant called Kibinine by Karaits national food - kibinai. Karaites went to Lithuania in 14 - 15th century to be a part of Lithuanian army. They mostly create his culture in Trakai and Vinius. Some Karaits work in this restaurant. Restaurant's interior looks great: wooden construction, nice attending. Especially memorized was a view to Lake galve with castle

Favorite Dish: Of course don't miss kibinai. A quite wonderful, small and piping hot pasty stuffed full of meat and onions, kibinai are the traditional food of one of Lithuania's miority groups, the Karaites.

Restoranas Karaliskas Sodas: Karaims and their... Turkish food

HOUSE  OF  KARALISKAS  SODAS  RESTAURANT

After a 2-3 hours visit to the Trakai castle I started to look for a restaurant for late lunch or early dinner :-). I was looking for a restaurant with tables outside, a nice view over Galve lake (with the castle on an island), good atmosphere and surely Karaims food. First I thought over a restaurant located next to my parking lot but it was over-crowded and looked somewhat too touristy for me.

When I walked a little bit more to north I found Restoranas Karaliskas Sodas which exactly fulfilled my requirements.

KARAIMS
    Tatars and Karaims are people of Turkish origin who have been living in Lithuania for over 600 years. They both belong to the oldest Turkish tribes - Kipchaks.
    The Great Duke of Lithuania Vytautas brought several hundreds of Karaims from Crimea at the end of the 14th century. He settled them between the two castles of Trakai (area of Karaimu street now). Official statistics say that 257 Karaims live in Lithuania, of which 65 in Trakai. Source: here.

Favorite Dish: KARAIM FOOD
    Lithuanian Karaims survived their traditional cuisine, easy to find in most (all?) local restaurants in Trakai. Just a few typical dishes:
    1. Tutmac - thin noodle soup with meat,
    2. Kybynlar or kibinai (sing. kybyn or kibin) - a leavened paste cake having the form of half-moon and the lamb or beef filling, baked in the oven or on the tin,
    3. Sislik - a steak of lamb (or beef, veal).
    More: click here.

Good apetite :-)

Restoranas Karaliskas Sodas: With pretty view

by matcrazy1 Updated Apr 4, 2011

MY  RESTAURANT  IN  TRAKAI  :-)

Restaurant Karaliskas Sodas was located by southern shore of Galve Lake, a few meters above the water level. It assured beautiful view over the lake with a castle on an island - look at the cover picture in my intro taken from my table in that restaurant.

Well, the tables and wooden benches were not the most comfortable but I couldn't complain, the place, service and food were great. Credit cards were accepted (at least of Visa system).

Favorite Dish: We ordered:
    1. Kibinai su kiauliena (Kibinai with pork) - 5.99 Lt,
    2. Kibinai su vistiena (Kibinai with chicken, not mentioned in the menu :-) - 6.99 Lt,
    3. Cenakai (stews) - 7.99 Lt,
    4. Saltibarsciai (national cold betroot soup) - 3.49 Lt,
    5. Lietuviska duonos gira (Lithuanian bread kind of surd drink) - 1.00 Lt,
    6. Svyturys 0,5 l (Lithuanian beer) - 4.00 Lt

Total: should be 29.46 Lt (€ 8.87; US$ 10.75; 41 Polish zl) but it was 25.97 Lt written on my bill. Our waitress forgot to add a soup and excuse, I didn't check my bill that time. Hmm... I should... She had to be tired...

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Restoranas Karaliskas Sodas: Gira and Svyturys. What's that?

MY  GIRA  AND SVYTURYS  BEER

Simply it was a very good restaurant in my opinion, one of the best I visited in Lithuania.

SERVICE
    Our young (and pretty) waitress was nice, smiling and fast. Well, she knew English only a little bit but she knew Russian a little better. But I can't complain. She gave us bi-lingual menu: in Lithuanian and English language. At the end she invited us again and gave us a business card of the restaurant with a its photo and calendar for 2004.

HOURS
    Daily 11.00 am - 10.00 pm

Favorite Dish: I ordered this non-transparent, yellow-brown liquid on the left on my picture. It costed only 1.00 Lt (€ 0.30) and was called gira (Lietuviska duonos gira in the menu).

Gira was traditional, Lithuanian, non-alcoholic, a little bit fermented drink made of bread. Very good option for drivers and... more adventerous tasters. I never tried it before and I liked it a lot. Although you may love it or... hate it. It reminded me a little bit (its aroma esp.) not enough fermented beer (pre-beer) I could try when I worked in a brewery once, as a student :-) but tasted much better (a little bit sweet with something like cynammon added).

Add Lithuanian beer number one in my opinion: Svyturys brewed in Klaipeda. It was fine and refreshing pale larger, not strong but... effective :-). It costed 4.00 Lt (€ 1.20, US$ 1.46, 6.40 Polish zl) for 0.5 l (16.91 oz) whereas regular tourist price was 5.00 Lt in, say Vilnius or Palanga. Cheers!

I saw at least two kinds of Svyturys in stores. I remember stronger EXTRA and regular SVYTURIO (1.99 Lt) which was served in Lithuanian restaurants/pubs.

Restoranas Karaliskas Sodas: Cold betroot soup - my recommendation

COLD  BETROOT  SOUP

Cold soups (stored in temperature of approx. +15 C/59 F) are typical Lithuanian, inexpensive dish. They are very refreshing in hot summer days and even in warm spring. Hmm, cold soups are unknown in my = far away off Lithuania, southern part of Poland.

Karaliskas Sodas restaurant offered 2 soups ("sriubos"):
    1. Saltibarsciai (Lithuanian, national cold betroot soup) - 3.49 Lt (€ 1.05),
    2. Sultinys (broth) - 1.49 Lt (€ 0.45).

Add soup of the day for 2.49 Lt (€ 0.75). Ask the waitress what's that in your day. Hmm... my waitress coudn't explain it to me in English or Russian or just I didn't understand her :-).

Favorite Dish: Cold red beet soup with boiled potatoes (3.49 Lt; € 1.05) tasted great. It was served with additional boiled potatoes with cut green onion and parsley, on seperate small plate. I didn't use to eat cold soups but what a surprice, the ones I ate in Lithuania were always good or very good. And this one in Trakai was the best! It's simply my recomendation :-)

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Restoranas Karaliskas Sodas: Kibinai? What's that?

MY  KIBINAI

Kibinai (sing. kibiny) was a traditional Karaims dish that was of Turskish/Crimea origin. It was a leavened paste cake having the form of half-moon and the lamb or beef filling, baked in the oven or on the tin. In Karaliskas Sodas they were filled with pork, chicken or mutton.

Favorite Dish: We ordered:
    1. Kibinai su kiauliena (Kininai with pork) - 5.99 Lt (€ 1.80),
    2. Kibinai su vistiena (Kibinai with chicken) - 6.99 Lt (€ 2.11).
    They both tasted great. My recommendation and... warning: the filling was very hot :-).

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Restoranas Karaliskas Sodas: Cenakai? What's that?

CENAKAI = STEWS :-)

This dish, on my picture, was called "cenakai" in Lithuanian language. It was called simply "stews" in my English menu. This ceramic pot on my picture contained a lot of liquid (thin sauce) with a few pieces of gently and slowly cooked pork, beef, mutton and various vegetables.

Favorite Dish: Cenakai = stews for 7.99 Lt (€ 2.41) tasted great :-). Simply my recommendation and... warning: the ceramic pot was very hot. Did they take it from a hot oven?

Trasalis: Trasalis

by bonio Written Jul 18, 2007

The hotel we stayed in was a fair walk into town so on a rainy evening we chose to eat here. Good choice, plenty to tempt vegetarian Mrs Bonio as well.
    Tasty food, friendly service, busy but comfortable retaurant and good prices, recommended.

• Wine Tasting

Markizas: tasty food

by bonio Written Jul 18, 2007

Restaurant overlooking the lake and very close to Trakai castle. Large outdoor terrace for good weather and plenty of indoor room too. Food very tasty, Mrs Bonio very impressed with her aubergines.
    Friendly service and good prices make this a good choice.

• ginte's Profile Photo

Bar/restaurant: Bars with a view to the Castle

by ginte Updated Nov 20, 2005

One of the bars

Some good bars are situated close to each other at the shore with a wonderful view to the Castle. You'll notice them on your way while driving into Trakai. They are located at the other shore in front of the Castle.

• giedre's Profile Photo

Some advices: Kibinai- Trakai speciality

by giedre Written Jul 7, 2005

Trakai (pic.from the boat)

Basically there could be more places to eat.But lets talk about what we already have.
    Close to the castle there is a restourant.. lots of people stops there couse its located just in the very middle of the way.Well, 1 kibinas(very small i should add, too) cost 5 litas 1euro= 3,44lt.) there.And you will have to wait for it for ages... too many people , too less working stuff.
    Another place ,which is just pased through the bridge to the castle,looks absolutely stunning! well so is the menu and quality of the food.And so are the prices...Its up to you( and you will not get kibinai or cepelinai there.. its much more restourant then average place to eat.

• Carletto76's Profile Photo

Kavine - Baras Markizas: Very nice place to eat

by Carletto76 Written Nov 26, 2004

Drink Utenos beer! ;-)

Along the lakeshore there are many bars, restaurants and cafés, and during summer, with good and hot weather, it's nice to eat outside, under the big beer tents.
    Whe chose the Kavine - Baras Markizas mainly for one reason: the wonderful waitresses! ;-) Never seen such beautiful girls in my life all together at a restaurant, really a good reason to go there, if you are a boy of course! ;-)
    Apart from that beauty, the food was absolutely good too, and the prices very cheap.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Kybynlar: Karaim cuisine

by Dabs Written Jun 14, 2004

David showing off his tasty pastries

We got here just in time, shortly after we sat down and ordered several buses filled with German tourists descended on the place.

The was a nice outdoor patio area to eat in, there is also indoor seating.

Favorite Dish: I tried the Kybynlar (kind of had to since that's what the restaurant is named!), a half moon shaped pastry filled with beef or lamb, they are not terribly big so go ahead and order one of each! They were pretty good and two were plenty.

My husband tried something that looked a bit like a chicken pot pie, it was also pretty good.

• Tuna_ank's Profile Photo

Kybynlar: Turkish food from Karains

by Tuna_ank Written Aug 28, 2009
    Kybyn

You must try those small "borek" Kybyns. We call as a "cig börek" them but it is bigger than hose small things... But delicious.

Favorite Dish: Kybyn of course.

Senoliø Þidinys: By a lake

by bonio Written Jul 20, 2007

Outdoor seating by lake skaistis for us. Beautiful location. Good place to try a kibinas.
    Friendly and good value, enjoyed ourselves here.

Instant Answers: Trakai

Comments

Trakai Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Trakai restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Trakai sightseeing.