Know about this? Rate It!
The Bernadine Cemetery (Bernadinu kapines) was founded in 1810 by Bernadine monks on the site of an old cemetery.
It was closed in the 1970's and since then remained almost unchanged. It contains graves of famous university professors, artists and scientists.
The Bernadine cemetery is situated on an embankment on the Vilnia river, just east of Vilnius' city center. The best way to get there
is to wander up the hill of the Uzupis district.
Bernadine Cemetery, Zvirgzdyno 3, Vilnius
- Budget Travel
Na Rossie Cemetery
It's a place especially important for Polish people as many Poles rest there. One of them is Jozef Pilsudski who played a key role in re-establishing Polish independence in 1918 and Poland's consequent annexation of Vilnius in 1921. His heart lies to the right of the main gate under a black granite slab.
Now, I know this sounds weird and morbid, but try to visit a cemetary at some point during your trip -- especially the older ones. They are surprisingly beautiful, and not at all like North American cemetaries. Each headstone is unique (some are very interesting), and there is usually a small metal fence around the plot. Cemetaries are not laid out as neatly & rigidly as elsewhere (sometimes built on hills), so they seem a bit like a maze. In spring and summer, flowers are often planted on the graves, making the whole place look like a garden. On the evening of November 1, small candles are placed on the graves by family members, which creates an eerily beautiful effect.
- Historical Travel
- Arts and Culture
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Save up to 50% off Hotels Everyday
- Expedia.com Photos, Reviews and the Guaranteed Lowest Prices
Vilnius Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Seaside Hotels
- Freeport City
- Long Island City Hotels
- Lago Albano
- Vagen Hotels
- Gem Beach Hotels
- Orlando Off The Beaten Path
- Indiana Off The Beaten Path
- Hawaii (Big Island) Off The Beaten Path
- Missouri Off The Beaten Path
- New Orleans Off The Beaten Path
- Dallas Off The Beaten Path
- Maui Off The Beaten Path
- South Carolina Off The Beaten Path
- Bangalore Off The Beaten Path
- Virginia Beach Off The Beaten Path
- Bend Off The Beaten Path
- Trondheim Off The Beaten Path