Vilnius Restaurants

Interior (2)

Most Recent Restaurants in Vilnius

Coffee Inn: Coffee Inn

by antistar Written Jul 17, 2012

Coffee Inn is a chain of Lithuanian coffee shops in the mould of starbucks. I was told they did good coffee and sandwiches, but when I dropped into the one at Gedimino 9, I discovered no sandwiches. But I did find some really nice bruschetta, a wide pleasant terrace, and, of course, pretty decent coffee.

Coffee Inn, Vilnius

Da Antonio: Italian by the Cathedral

by antistar Written Jul 16, 2012

I don't know if it was the food or the day, but I had a perfect evening at Da Antonio's. Sitting outside with good food and wine on a warm summer's evening listening the peeling bells of the Cathedral while children played in the pavement fountains was sublime. I'm not sure if the food made the day or the day made the food, or if it was a mix of both, but I had a wonderful time. I can't imagine any other night would be less than good.

Note: There are three Da Antonio's in Vilnius, but I only visited the one on Cathedral Square.

La Crepe: Pancakes on Gediminas

by antistar Written Jul 11, 2012

Judging by the reviews written in French that I saw, the Baltic chain restaurant La Crepe is an abomination. For me it was a decent place to grab an afternoon snack, and the quality and price were not at all shocking. As long as you don't go there expecting French cuisine, and instead expect crepes and pancakes that are a few notches up from McDonald's, you won't be disappointed.

Here in Vilnius the service was very good and the location on Gediminas Avenue was perfect.

Favorite Dish: Potato pancakes.

Oskar at La Crepe, Vilnius

Sue's Indian Raja: Indian on Cathedral Square

by antistar Updated Jul 9, 2012

There seems to be a war of words between the owner of Sue's Indian Raja, the impressively named Wing Commander Rajinder Chaudhary, and what I can only assume are rival restaurants out to smear him. On every review site I read multiple bizarre, and sometimes nasty, complaints, rebutted by an indignant Wing Commander Rajinder Chaudhary. There were fanciful reviews both attacking and defending the restaurant.

The truth I experienced was actually very pleasant. I ordered a simple lentil dhal, a dish that is easy to mess up and difficult to get right, and it tasted fantastic. It was easily one of the best Indian dishes I've had in continental Europe. The service was ok, perhaps a little strange. The waiter was overly defensive, and thought I was questioning the quality of local beer, when I intended no offense at all. Somewhere inside I could see the famous Wing Commander Rajinder Chaudhary moving between tables and entertaining the guests. It felt a shame he didn't come outside.

And perhaps, in the reviews, that might be where the genuine discrepancy in quality comes in. Some of the fair reviews that were not wholly complimentary seemed to complain mostly of consistency: That sometimes the food was amazing, and other times quite ordinary. One reviewer posited that it was only when Wing Commander Rajinder Chaudhary was about did the kitchen meet with expectations, and when he was away they slacked off.

I don't know the whole truth, only mine, which was a great, if not perfect, experience. But I think the unusually cloudy sky put the biggest damper on my mood.

• Vapiano: Eat italian style!

by TouristVilnius Written Jan 6, 2012

The restaurant has great concept - fast, but tasty, fresh and healthy italian food. Atmosphere is outstanding, it is not just exceptional design I liked so much, but also service structure - restaurant has an open kitchen and food is prepared in front of the eyes of the guests. The mood in the restaurant is italian, because chefs are really informal and communicative, you can share your requests directly.

Moreover, I can say that food quality impressed me as I am a great fan of italian cuisine, I can tell that pizzas and pastas is just like in Italy, because all the food here is prepared only according to authentic recipes.

Favorite Dish: I am a pizza lover, so it is really hard for me to choose from 20 pizzas they offer, but my favorite one is Pesto con spinachi. It is so fresh and has my favorite ingredients: mozzarella, spinachi and basil sauce.

• Wine Tasting

Prie Katedros: (Another!) Microbrewery in Vilnius

by travelfrosch Updated Dec 27, 2011

I certainly didn't mind having TWO microbreweries within easy walking distance of my hotel. :)

Prie Katedros is a more upscale microbrewery, featuring fancier (and more expensive) fare than the average pub. It also has a lovely interior, with rich wood furniture (and even some leather chairs!), shiny brewing kettles, and a pristine bar all on display. This could also be why it's popular with tour groups. The food itself is outstanding (if pricey), and service is very friendly. The place also features its own selection of beers brewed on the premises, which is seldom a bad thing.

Favorite Dish: I really enjoyed the boar sausage. It was fresh and artfully presented, though a bit on the expensive side by Vilnius standards.

Prie Katedros Copper Kettles The Bar Tasty dark beer Boar Sausage
    • Beer Tasting
    • Architecture

Zoe's Bar and Grill: Popular, Eclectic Restaurant

by travelfrosch Written Dec 20, 2011

As I was exploring the Cathedral grounds, the skies opened up, so I decided to make a break for the nearest place to have lunch. Zoe's is a hip, artistic place with plentiful music and a surprising variety of food. It's also a popular lunch destination for well-dressed workers at the Bank of Lithuania, which made me feel a bit like a drowned rat as I sat down. Service was friendly and the food was very good.

Favorite Dish: I had the Thai-style chicken soup with green curry and vegetables, and washed it down with a nice cup of jasmine tea. It really hit the spot on a cold, rainy day.

Zoe's Bar and Grill Chicken soup with green curry
    • Architecture
    • Music

Būsi Trečias: Microbrewery in Vilnius

by travelfrosch Written Dec 20, 2011

There's an old saying: "It never rains inside the pub." Since it was rather rainy a good bit of the time I was there, it certainly was enjoyable to have this place only a few blocks from my hotel. Būsi Trečias, meaining "you'll be the third" in Lithuanian (see the website for the story behind the name), is a family-run place known for good quality, reasonably priced, home-cooked dishes. More importantly, it is known for brewing its own beer in the basement, feeding the freshly-made product directly from barrel to tap to glass.

Your choice of seating ranges from a bar and simple tables on the ground floor, to (slightly) more formal dining tables on the second floor, to the benches and tables of a covered beer garden in the courtyard. If the weather is nice, go for the beer garden. Otherwise, I think it's most fun to head right to the bar. Glance at the computer behind the bar and examine the fun "wallpaper" on the computer screen while waiting for your order. Then, look around you and see if there's anyone you might want to start a conversation with. You could even get to see the owner sitting at the bar, reading the paper, and enjoying a glass of his own black beer.

Favorite Dish: Food is inexpensive, filling, and of good quality. I especially liked the pork ribs.

The beer is fresh and of excellent quality. While the more conventional lager is very good, the locals' (and my) favorite is the superb black beer.

The restaurant The beer garden Some light beer... ...and some black beer Yummy pork ribs
    • Beer Tasting

• Flying.Scotsman's Profile Photo

Graf Zeppelin: German restaurant with a Lithuanian twist

by Flying.Scotsman Written Nov 15, 2011

We saw this restaurant written up in several books and thought it sounded like fun. It is a rather quirky German themed restaurant with old photographic portraits on the wall and 1920s/30s music. We both had rumpsteak with horseradish, red cabbage, and beautifully presented mashed potatoes. A good, reasonablly priced meal in pleasant surroundings.

Have a look at the website for a menu and photographs of the restaurant. You can switch from English to Lithuanian, Polish, German or Russian.

Rumpsteak with horseradish, red cabbage & potato

• Flying.Scotsman's Profile Photo

Amatininku Uzeiga: Very interesting introduction to Lithuanian food

by Flying.Scotsman Written Nov 15, 2011

This interesting restaurant is located right in the centre of the Old Town. The staff were very friendly and explained the various dishes to us. Beware! This is not low cholesterol food - although for those healthy eaters there were salds etc. Altough we thought the food was slightly heavy, it was an experience we thoroughly enjoyed. It's worth a try at least once.

Favorite Dish: We had a variety of small dishes, including, fried dark bread and cheese, peas and bacon, green salad, and pancakes with sour cream.

Amatininku Uzeiga Traditional Lithuanian fare ... and more. Interesting decor as well

Cili Pica

by HORSCHECK Updated Sep 25, 2011

Cili Pica is a popular Lithuanian chain of pizza places. The first one was opened in Vilnius in 1997 and nowadays you find them in about 10 cities in Lithuania.

They offer meals for all times of the day and are specialised in - you won't believe it - pizzas, which come in various sizes and uncountable variations. The pizzas are not outstanding but always yummy enough to pop in one of their restaurants.

We visited a Vilnius' branch of Cili Pica in August 2011. I ordered a medium sized Pizza Turismo (16,99 Litas) and a Svyturys beer (5,99 Litas). Although all Lituanian Pizza chains are pretty much the same, for some reason Cili Pica is probably my favorite one.

Cili Pica - Pizza Turismo Cili Pizza - Svyturys beer

Uzupio Kavine

by HORSCHECK Updated Sep 25, 2011

We visited the Uzupio Kavine twice. The first time in August 2006 and the second time in August 2011.

It has a large riverside terrace and is said to be the only restaurant with river views in Vilnius. The terrace also offers a perfect view of the mysterious mermaid that sits in a niche in the wall on the opposite side of the river. On warm summer days it can be quite crowded here.

During our first visit we only had a few drinks and a bread snack here, but really enjoyed the atmosphere by the river.

In August 2011 I opted for the chicken Kiev style (27 Litas) and a Svyturys beer (6,5 Litas). Our meals were tasty and service was friendly.

The interior of the restaurant is kept in a red brick simple style. They even sell Uzupis merchandise here (e.g. T-Shirts with the Uzupis constitution).

Uzupio Kavine - Riverside terrace Entrance to the Uzupio Kavine Beer and beer snack with VT member Raimix Uzupio Kavine - Chicken Kiev style Uzupio Kavine
    • Trains

Pizza CanCan

by HORSCHECK Written Sep 24, 2011

On our first day in Vilnius in summer 2011 we arrived at around 19:30 h at our hotel. We then just wanted quite quickly something for dinner. Only 5 Minutes on foot from our hotel we found a large Maxima supermarket with two Pizza restaurants.

We decided to check out the Pizza CanCan, as we have never given it a try on our previous trip to Lithuania.

Pizza CanCan is another Pizza chain with several branches in Vilnius. They offer a large range of Pizzas, which come in three sizes. Apart from that the menu lists a selection of local and international dishes.

I opted for a small Classic Pizza (11,99 Litas) and a Svyturys beer (5,99 Euro). The pizza was a bit tasteless, but still okay. Our waitress was quite friendly and spoke good English.

Pizza CanCan in the Maxima supermarket Pizza CanCan - Small Classic Pizza Pizza CanCan - Svyturys beer

Alaus restoranas "Aula"

by HORSCHECK Written Sep 24, 2011

Aula is a Lithuanian beer restaurant which is located in the former premises of Vilnius University. On summer days a small outdoor terrace is available as well.

During our summer 2011 trip we once had a lunch break here and took a seat on the outdoor terrace to enjoy some people watching. The interior of the restaurant is still well worth seeing as it consists of several vaulted rooms.

The menu offers a mixture of Lithuanian and international snacks and dishes, as well as a large variety of drinks especially beers. I opted for the tradtional meat dumplings (15,90 Litas) and a small local Utenos beer 4,00 Litas). This was just perfect for our lunch break.

Alaus restoranas Alaus restoranas Aula - My Utenos beer and Aula - Tradtional meat dumplings

Coffee Inn

by HORSCHECK Updated Sep 21, 2011

On our very last evening in Vilnius in summer 2011 we chose Coffee Inn for a drink as they have free
    WiFi. Coffee Inn is a cafe chain with several branches in Vilnius. They seems to be very popular with the younger crowd.

All sorts of hot and cold drinks are on offer and have to be ordered at the counter. The drinks come in paper or plastic cups. In addition a variety of snacks is available as well.

I had a yummy hot cacao for 4,50 Litas. The WiFi internet connection was fast and smooth.

Coffee Inn Logo at Pilies gatve Coffee Inn - My cacao Coffee Inn - Counter
    • Trains

Instant Answers: Vilnius

Comments

Vilnius Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Vilnius restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Vilnius sightseeing.