Beaufort Castle’s annual festival, Schlossfest, is held in early July. We were excited to learn that the weekend we visited Beaufort happened to also be the weekend of the festival; we didn’t know this until we arrived at the castle.
Not only was admission to the castle free to the public, but there were special tents with food vendors and strolling musicians. The people visiting that day appeared to be mostly locals and we enjoyed watching the people and listening to the variety of languages being spoken.
Overall, it made the day extra special (and solved the “where’s lunch?” question!). If you are in the area in early July, check the Beaufort website for specific dates.
The castle in Beaufort dates back to the 11th century as a moat and bailey fortress for the first Lord of Beaufort. The small castle was built in a large rock and was subsequently added and enlarged in the 12th, 14th, and 17th centuries. During the Thirty Years’ War, castle ownership was transferred to the Spanish and the castle was renovated into a Renaissance style castle with the work being completed in 1649.
Unfortunately, the castle began its decline, abandoned and left to decay and even being used as a quarry by locals. Designated a cultural heritage site by the government in 1850, the castle’s fate received new life and a new owner; the castle was restored. It was purchased by the government in 1981 and it open to the public.
There are many rooms to wander around in at the castle, some having clear roofs that will let in the light but protect visitors from the elements. There is a torture chamber and a tower that you can climb for a nice view of the valley. Lots of little details around the castle and you can see the various construction eras in the structure.
There is a public bathroom located at the castle and a small eatery. Cassero, the local blackcurrant liquor, is made at the castle and is for sale at the eatery.
We were there during the annual Castle Festival, held in early July so admission was free. However, typically there is a €3 entrance fee.
The castle is open from April through October from 0900-1800.
The oldest part of the castle of Beaufort dates from the early 11th Century. It was a small square-shaped fortress on a massive rock, surrounded by a wide ditch and a second wall facing the valley.
Around the first half of the 12th Century, a flanking tower was added and the access gate was moved and enlarged.
The House of Beaufort became ruined by the Thirty Year War. Over time the old abandoned knights' castle slowly decayed.
In 1850 the Luxembourg government declared the castle a cultural heritage.
As of 1893 Beaufort castle acquired a new look under the new owner Henri Even and his son Joseph Linckels. The new palace was restored and the sheep farm was expanded.
In 1928 Edmond Linckels cleared the rubble from the castle and the well and made the site available to the public.
Since 1981 the castle and the chateau are owned by the Luxembourg state.
VIDEO of my visit:
Cassero, the local blackcurrant liquor, is made in the basement of Beaufort Castle. After touring the castle, we chatted with the lady at the counter who gave us a taste of the liquor and sold us a bottle to take home. It is pretty potent stuff; like any liquor, one should drink it in small quantities, perhaps after dinner.
But the people of Beaufort are proud of their liquors, which come in other flavors such as cherry, raspberry, plum, and a mix of blackcurrant and cherry. Details can be found on the Liquors du Chateau de Beaufort website (although not in English).