Larochette Favorites

by nighthawk

Most Recent Favorites in Larochette

Well described

Larochette

Favorite thing: On this photograph you can see what I mean by well described : almost everywhere hang a big poster showing what the room was used for.
    And in this one, you can see the passages as well fer real as in the poster.
    Life wasn t too bad if you were a lady of the house!

Shooting holes

Shooting holes

Favorite thing: Although most of the castle now is a ruin, you can still see structures of fireplaces, and in a booklet we bought when we got in, it was well written what each space once was used for.
    On this pic, obviously, are shooting holes, it is in the Homburger house.

Entrance

Overview

Favorite thing: I was quite surprised after paying the fee for entrance. I had not expected it would look like an English garden (as I saw in telly), and with my lively imagination, I could see ladies walking wearing those terrible big skirts.

At first I did not even see the ruins or the tower, only after walking in, it became more and more clear what this sight was like.

• nighthawk's Profile Photo

To give you an idea of the building

Larochette

Favorite thing: A drawing of the castle as it probably was in the 15th century.
    A - C - E -->Houses where unknown royal families have lived
    B --> The Homburger House (the building at the left)
    D --> The Karolinger House (on the right, at the front; which we visited)

Fondest memory: To reach the Karolinger house we had to climb up a high ladder, brrr, I got fear of heights so I had a tough time getting up.

You get an idea of what living in the castle was like, for big posters of daily business show what a room was used for.

One room has an outside adding, a room stuck to the tower, totally of wood. I gathered all my courage and went in that room to have a look over the city, well, I just wanted to feel like the lady of the castle.
    Sigh, I was only just enjoying that idea when my youngest came running in, in no time I was back in the more solid part of the tower! brrr

High up the mountain

Larochette

Favorite thing: This castle arises really high above the village of Larochette. To get there, we had to climb some narrow stairs and then go all around the castle before we could enter it.
    The entrance was at the other side of the hill, where the slope is real steep.
    On the photograph you can see the path we followed: coming in on the left and following it at this side.

Fondest memory: We did try to walk down the alternative way but after some slipping and gliding we decided to go back the way we came... I had fun, am not sure hubby had.

• nighthawk's Profile Photo

Great starting point for a hike.

by nighthawk Updated Dec 7, 2004

Homburger house, Larochette

Favorite thing: Standing on castle ground you can look around and see the great Luxembourg country side.
    We did hike, but we started near Berdorf, another small village in Luxembourg.

Fondest memory: On this photograph you can see part of the Homburger house.
    The history of this castle is rich and it is rather well documented.

• Adventure Travel

• himalia11's Profile Photo

Walking around Larochette

by himalia11 Written Apr 28, 2004

Walking around Larochette

Fondest memory: There are several nice walking paths around Larochette. This photo is taken on the path that leads to the old watchtower. The watchtower is on a rock opposite of the castle. From there, you have nice view on the castle and the village.

Another place with a good view on the castle is found above the church. There's a little path close to the church that leads you upwards and up there you'll find also some benches where you can sit and enjoy the view on the castle!

• Hiking and Walking

• dlandt's Profile Photo

Wine and Beer

by dlandt Updated Mar 23, 2003

Favorite thing: There is a particular variety of wine made here in the area. I've forgotten the name but it derived from the Mösel river. Any waiter or shopkeeper should be able to help you find it as it is well known and advertised. The beer is good too, as would be expected. A local brew is called Diekirch which was good.

• Wine Tasting

• yumyum's Profile Photo

Small alleys

by yumyum Written Apr 27, 2007

Favorite thing: Towards the castle there are some small alleys both sides of Rue de Mersch. They are rather pretty and some have colourful houses.

Instant Answers: Larochette

Comments

Larochette Favorites

Reviews and photos of Larochette favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Larochette sightseeing.