Archtecture, Luxembourg

Know about this? Rate It!

Palace of Justice
    Perpetual construction
    Interesting corner
  • acemj's Profile Photo

A few thoughts

by acemj Updated May 20, 2006

Quaint architecture

Favorite thing: Luxembourg City is no doubt situated in a dramatic physical setting. There are some interesting architectural highlights and some charming streets and hidden spots. You can find good accommodations and decent food and even some good drinking holes. However, I felt that there was something missing here. Maybe it was a clearly identifiable local culture and maybe it was just a certain excitement that you feel in other places. Whatever the case may be, I enjoyed my visit here, but was ready to leave the next day and move on to a more energetic scene.

• Norali's Profile Photo

Minimalism impresses

by Norali Written Oct 17, 2004

A palace.  Would you know ?

Favorite thing: Reviewing the pictures I took during my one-day-citytrip, I had a thought. Most of my pictures are related to architecture or buildings.

Its only then that I realized why I took pictures of the buildings and why the so relatively important number. It was the architecture and the minimalist setting that impressed me most. The post office was beautiful, in a minimalist way so was Palais Grand Ducal... The Tourism Office is interesting too. Some Renaissance-met-Rococo style prevails there.

They use to keep it simple, just elegant.

Fondest memory: The whole town has this provincial tranquil flair. It's only when you consider the life costing, the high number of banking institutions that you realize it is not the average European provincial town, it's Luxembourg city, capital city of Grand-Duché de Luxembourg.

Also, out of city center, you'll see the European Intitutions area. Yep, they have such an area too there. One tends to forget sometimes. :-) Me not, I once had to gather petition signatures that I had to address to European MPs. To my surprise, I had to send it to Luxembourg, not somewhere in Brussels.

• Castles and Palaces
    • Architecture

• Skipka's Profile Photo

Hotel de ville

by Skipka Written Aug 17, 2004

hotel de ville

Favorite thing: If you are going to the city center don't miss the Town Hall but be careful. Many toursit ask for a room there because they think it is Hotel. ;) However there is just a little difference between French word Hotel and Hotel with accent surcomplex.

• Skipka's Profile Photo

Clairefontaine Square

by Skipka Written Sep 2, 2004

clairefontaine square

Favorite thing: This little Square is behind the Cathedral and the dominant is Fountain of Grand Duchess Charlotte, however there is also back of the cathedral. It is nice place to take a rest for a bit.

Instant Answers: Luxembourg