Places to eat in Luxembourg

Coffee and Apple Pie

Most Viewed Restaurants in Luxembourg

LA MEDINA: GASTRONOMIC SUPERHEROES

by DAO Updated Dec 13, 2014

I love these folks, I really do. They could not have made me feel more welcome, valued and looked after me. That was just the service. The food? Magnifique! La Medina is 1 of 5 different themed restaurants created by 2 geniuses named Dominica Colaianni and Olivier Felmann. Many people come by to laugh at some of the strange English translations on their outside menu board, but don’t stay to savour the wonderfully prepared food which makes this one of the best restaurants in Europe.

So why Superheroes? I arrived at the restaurant quite late and in very casual clothes and boots. The restaurant next door (bastards) refused to serve me. The waiter here at La Medina never blinked and greeted me like an old friend. Although cold outside, they agreed to seat me outside and my table was made up like I was royalty in a flash (pictured). My food was brought to me and was not only artful; it tasted out of this world and filled me up as well. The beer was cold and the red wine delicious.

If you only eat in one restaurant in Luxembourg, dine here.

The inside (warmer) is also beautifully decorated and designed.

Well done La Medina folks!

Open 12pm-2pm and 7pm-11pm Monday - Saturday. Their hours and days do sometimes change.

Favorite Dish:
    I had the ‘La dégustation de brick terre et mer’ starter which has a weird translation of ‘Mixed off meat and sea food bricks’ on their menu. Sounds bad, tastes heavenly. For the main meal I had the ‘Mixed grill du jour’ with some beer and house red wine. It was so good I nearly passed out.

Mixed grill du jour La d��gustation de brick terre et mer
    • Luxury Travel

L’ORANCHELLO: THE RUDDEST RESTAURANT IN EUROPE

by DAO Updated Dec 13, 2014

In my educated and informed opinion, this has to be the most unfriendly restaurant with the ruddest staff in Europe. They were absolutely rude, angry and aggressive with me on more than one occasion. I didn’t even eat here and I highly recommend you not eat here either. I tried to get a table on their empty terrace one night and they looked at me like I was a piece of rubbish. After giving me a dirty look (2 of them together) they told me after a long pause that all the tables were reserved! I went next door to the absolutely wonderful LA MEDINA and was greeted like royalty. Over the next hour and a half I noticed no one sat at the ‘reserved’ tables. Just look at the first picture. Do you see anyone sitting at any tables? Lying bastards. The next day I went inside the building that houses this restaurant to use the toilets. A waiter CHASED me and shouted at me all the way in. I had to literally shut and lock the door to get away from him. When I came out he absolutely unleashed a torrent of abuse at me. The though that I might be someone wanting to eat here obviously never occurred to him.

Favorite Dish:
    They refused to serve me!

WHERE ARE THE 'RESERVED' PEOPLE? BASTARDS EMPTY AGAIN

• leics's Profile Photo

Alfa Cafe/Brasserie/Restaurant: Not as good an idea as I thought.....

by leics Written Feb 17, 2013

The Mercure Grand Hotel Alfa...directly opposite Luxembourg's railway station..with a bar/cafe/brasserie and a restaurant.

I'd passed it every day and looked at the menus in the windows. It looked comfortable, always seemed busy and, although not particularly cheap, I'd decided to try it on my last night. A treat.

I decided to have a beer in the brasserie first (happy hour 1730-1830, second drink free). Service (sit down and they come to you) was pleasant and my Bofferding, accompanied by a dish of little savoury biscuits to nibble, was good. So I thought I'd try an 'amuse bouche' before ordering my main course.

There were three options: cheese, vegetarian or 'gourmand'. 'Let's splash out on the gourmand at 5 euro', I thought. I was expecting..well, little canapes, perhaps, or tiny bits of things on slivers of bread....

I was amazed at what turned up. I could have bought exactly the same thing from my supermarket at home.

I was served four mini spring rolls, four tiny pakoras and three skewers-with-bits-of-pork. Beautifully presented on a piece of slate (why?), but tasting exactly as I expected them to: supermarket nibbles plus supermarket dipping sauce.

I ate them (I'd paid for them!) and had another (free, because of happy hour) Bofferding...with more savoury biscuits.... to wash them down. Then I left. There was no way I was going to pay for a proper meal if the 'amuse bouche' didn't even begin to amuse my bouche!

I never usually eat in hotels. This was an aberration. I' think I'll stick to my normal behaviour in future.

I'm sure the Alfa is a perfectly good hotel serving perfectly good food. It's just that I didn't expect to get the same thing in a brasserie as I could buy from my local supermarket. I'm probably just naive....

Alfa or Asda? Bofferding & nibbles = good Cafe/bar interior
    • Singles
    • Seniors

Restaurant Namaste

by HORSCHECK Updated Sep 14, 2012

As Restaurant Namaste was located just around the corner from our Hotel, we decided to give it a try for our last dinner in Luxembourg.

Restaurant Namaste is specialised in the traditional cuisine of Nepal and India.

The place consists of one large room which is decorated with photos and pictures from these countries.

The offered dishes come with lamb, chicken, beef or fish. Also available on the menu is a wide variety of vegetarian meals, breads, starters and desserts.

To start we shared Butter Naan (Leavened fine flour breads) and Nepalese Mo Mo (Steamed puff pastries).

As main dish I opted for Namaste's Special Biryani, which is a combination of lamb and chicken with mushrooms, onions, broccoli, peas, ground nuts and aromatic saffron rice.

Everything was very delicious, but please be prepared that the portions are really huge. For Luxembourg standards the prices are reasonable. As an example my main dish Namaste's Special Biryani was only 14,75 Euro. The staff was friendly and helpful.

Namaste's Special Biryani Restaurant Namaste Chapati at Restaurant Namaste

BREEDEWEE: CLOSED FOREVER

by DAO Updated Apr 4, 2011

Breedewee is a restaurant listed in many guide books, websites and is highly recommended. It is also now out of business and shut forever. Sorry. It’s really a shame as well. It had a beautiful view from its terrace of the lower half of the historical part of the city. Breedewee had a reputation for serving delicious food at good prices while still maintaining large portions. In Luxembourg that is a crime of course. You will now have to settle for less food and less money after your meal.

• Mesa Verde: Vegetarian Restaurants

by grp Updated Apr 4, 2011

This excellent vegetarian / macrobiotics restaurant is located at St Esprit street near the Corniche / Grund lift.
    There are tables at ground floor and first floor.

The food is excellent and the aspect is wonderful - true chefs' masterpieces ! Service is also first class.

I went there the day of my arrival (a Saturday) for dinner, and I was really impressed by the sunset view from the first floor !

My meal cost me 30 €: dish - 19.90 €, fruit cocktail - 8.00 € and coffee - 2.20 €.

Not a 100% vegetarian restaurant, some fish and shellfish dishes are also served.

Closes on Sundays and Mondays.

Unfortunatly, it closed for holidays and will only reopen in September...

SCOTT’S PUB: BEER IN THE SUN

by DAO Updated Sep 1, 2008

Ok. It’s not a restaurant, but it is more of a day place than a ‘Night Life Tip’. A little hard to find from the Old Town, its worth the descent down to the Grund area. It’s the most authentic Pub in the city of Luxemburg. This atmospheric boozer sits right on the river and has some outdoor seating that is a great place to have a nice cold pint of beer on a warm day. Inside the rustic interior are friendly bar staff who will serve you with a variety of draft & bottled beers and assorted spirits. I suggest you try one of everything. The outside seating seems to stay packed all day, but you can always sit on the steps or walls. You can take the (recommended) long and winding path almost vertically down from the old town. Alternatively, especially on damp days, you can take the elevator down. It’s a bit hard to find this elevator from the top side, so ask at Tourist Information before setting of in search of it.

Cheers!

Open 12pm-1am 7 days a week

Favorite Dish:
    Food? They sell peanuts and some snacks. Sometimes sandwiches. They also do pitchers of beer (pictured!). How cool is that?

• Beer Tasting

BRASSERIE GUILLAUME: OFTEN RECOMMENDED

by DAO Updated Aug 30, 2008

This is a very well recommended restaurant. It seems every guide book and magazine sing its praises. It has a large and pleasant outdoor dinning area right in the middle of Place Guillaume where there is an excellent food and flower market on Sundays. They are open early until late and are always busy, yet they always seem to have at least one table available. They offer a varied menu as well as daily specials. Its considered a ‘budget’ option by local price standards. Its an excellent place to have a great breakfast on a summer’s day before you start your sightseeing.

Favorite Dish:
    They have a ‘Lobster Festival’ every year in June and July with reduced prices on this dish.

• Work Abroad
    • Study Abroad

ALIMA: BUDGET FOOD

by DAO Updated Aug 30, 2008

Food and drinks are expensive in Luxembourg. If you are on a budget, but still want to eat well, Alima is a fabulous place to get a great range of food. It’s a supermarket, but the range and service are very impressive. Prices? A soft drink will cost you at lest 1.50 Euros. Alima was 68 cents on the same day. They have an excellent cooked meat, cheese and bakery counters. Cold drinks, small bottles of wine and fresh bread insure a good picnic from here. They also have loads of helpful staff, fresh vegetables, a huge range of spices, mixes, canned products and helpful utensils like corkscrews. A real budget delight right in the heart of the pedestrianised shopping area.

Open: Mon-Fri 8:30am-6:30pm, Sat 8am-6pm

Unfortunately Alima is closed on Sundays!

• jet64's Profile Photo

Um Dierfgen: My favorite Luxembourg Restaurant

by jet64 Written Jul 26, 2008

I've returned here several times over the years if I'm anywhere near Luxembourg for one thing, the Schwinshaxe or pork knuckle. Everything is high-quality here and delicious. Highly recommended. I've never found any need to try a different restaurant in this area this one's a keeper.

Favorite Dish: Schweinshaxe (pork knuckle) with sauerkraut and fried potatoes - I've never had anything close to this quality and is different in that it tastes more like ham than roasted pork in gravy as the German variety (though it's not bad in itself). Excellent with dijon mustard and a luxembourg beer.

Um Dierfgen The Schweinshaxe with sauerkraut dish

La Boucherie

by HORSCHECK Updated Jan 22, 2008

La Boucherie is a French gastronomy chain with more than 50 restaurants in 5 different countries, mainly in France. They are specialised in French meat dishes.

One evening we visited their restaurant in Luxembourg for dinner.

The interior is kept in a typical Parisian functional bistro style with red white striped plastic tablecloths. A large outdoor terrace which faces the lively Place d'Armes is available as well.

From the menu I chose the grilled lamb steak with French fries (15,20 Euro) and a Pint of local Diekirch beer (3,50 Euro). The dish came with a sharp steak knife and was tasty and enough to keep me happy for that evening.

Grilled lamb steak and French fries La Boucherie

Ristorante Pizzeria Il Cherubino

by HORSCHECK Updated Jan 21, 2008

One evening we found the Ristorante Pizzeria Il Cherubino more by chance than on purpose. It was really an excellent find.

From the outside it looks a bit unimpressive, but the interior is cosy with an Italian style decor.

Maybe the tables are placed a bit too close to each other, but this all adds to the intimate atmosphere.

The menu is dedicated to the cuisine of Apulia and offers a wide variety of meat and fish dishes. Pasta and pizza is of course available as well.

I had a Pizza Prosciutto e funghi for 10,20 Euro and a few Bofferding beers (2,20 Euro). The pizza was excellent and so was the beer.

If you don't have a map of Luxembourg, you should pick up one of the restaurants leaflets which includes a useful little map of the city centre.

Pizza Prosciutto e funghi Ristorante Pizzeria Il Cherubino Local Bofferding beer Ristorante Pizzeria Il Cherubino

• el_ruso's Profile Photo

Le Benny: Le Benny - EXCELLENT!!!

by el_ruso Written Aug 26, 2007

We were hungry, it was late, and we were fruitlessly looking for a place to eat. Well, most places in Luxembourg close early, and we were getting desperate until we came across the place called LE BENNY in Diekirch, to the North of Luxembourg city.

The place was very unassuming, and looked like a tavern with wooden tables, but we were in for a surprise! This was the best restaurant in terms of food quality we have come across in almost two weeks in Belgium, Luxembourg and Netherlands! The quality of dishes, presentation and service are SUPERB! My gf had pork medallions under tomato and melted mozzarella, and I had salmon with saffron sauce; both were excellent. The waiter was very friendly as well.

And on top of that, the place is open very late in the night which is rare in this country. It is located Esplanade, 13.

Favorite Dish: pork medallions with tomatos and melted mozzarella

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Chi-Chi's: Should have gone local

by Dabs Updated Feb 1, 2007

One of our favorite restaurants in college and when we were first married was Chi-Chi's, a chain of Mexican restaurants in the US which slowly one by one closed in our area. It wasn't gourmet Mexican or even authentic Mexican but every once in awhile it made for a good meal. Every so often we'd stumble across one in an odd location such as Paris or Barcelona but we were really surprised to see one in Luxembourg City.

Favorite Dish: When I saw my husband's favorite dish, Texas Nachos, on the menu I knew we were going to end up here. But they were nothing like the nachos we used to get in the US which were piled high with ingredients, the toppings were sparse and he ran out of topping way before he ran out of chips. My chicken quesadilla was OK but nothing special and the fried ice cream, well at least that was as good as I remembered.

The total tab with soft drinks was 32E, way overpriced for the quantity and quality of the food!

Chi-Chi's

• acemj's Profile Photo

Maison des Brasseurs: Local food

by acemj Updated May 21, 2006

I stopped by this place for lunch and immediately noticed that most of the people in here were over 70 years old! I have a feeling it's the kind of place that gets regulars that have been coming here for years. I noticed that many of the customers knew each other and greeted each other with a nod or a raised glass. The interior is clean and basic and the service was good.

Favorite Dish: I ordered a salad and the chicken fricasse. The salad was average, but the chicken fricasse was good in a hearty, home-cooked sort of way. I also drank a Bofferding Pils to go with it.

Luxembourg Hotels

Bad (2.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review
Atel Christophe Colomb
Best (5.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review

Instant Answers: Luxembourg

Comments

Luxembourg Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Luxembourg locals.
Map of Luxembourg