Really Local, Luxembourg

• leics's Profile Photo

City Lounge: My 'local'

by leics Written Feb 17, 2013

Exterior

This place was on the corner of my hotel's street and every time I passed it was busy. With elderly gentlemen whiling away the hours with a newspaper, ladies lunching, families having a quick snack before or after shopping, couples, people with laptops...

I assume it's part of the City Hotel, which exists on the floors above. But it didn't feel at all like a hotelbar/cafe and seemed to have no direct access to the rest of the hotel.

It seemed a good place to sit & read with a beer (Bofferding) or a coffee, so that's what I did at least once every day. The beer and coffee were both very good, and one night I tried the croque monsieur (ham and cheese toastie): also very good, although not cheap.

The ladies who run the bar/cafe were pleasant and friendly, knowing lots of the 'regulars and quickly getting to know me too: a very good sign, I think.

Like most cafe/bar/brasseries in Luxembourg, smoking is allowed. A partition was drawn across part of the bar after 1900 (and, I think, between 1300 and 1400) to provide a smoke-free section.

I found this place to be by far the most 'comfortable' spot for a solo middle-aged female to enjoy a peaceful beer....and, as it is set on the corner of a busy road opposite the railway station, there is excellent people-watching from the window tables. :-)

• Singles
    • Seniors

• leics's Profile Photo

Le Coral: Nice bar....

by leics Written Feb 16, 2013

Yes, definitely 'really local'.

Le Coral was where I ended up on my first night, tired after a day's travelling and just wanting a cold beer and a relax. It was on the same street as my hotel along with several other bars and brasseries..but the other bars and brasseries seemed to be full of men enjoying a post-work pint-and-chat, whereas Le Coral had customers of both genders, some alone and some in groups, some with laptops, some with books and some just chatting.

So, being a solo middle-aged female, I chose Le Coral for my beer.

The barmaid didn't quite understand my French, and I didn't realise that I was supposed to sit down and be served rather than order my drink at the bar, but we managed. I got my drink
    (draught Diekirch, a Luxembourg beer which I realised, the next day, was not as good as its national competitor Bofferding) and she got her money. :-)

I liked the ambience of the cafe/bar. Although clearly a local favourite (it was busy every night I passed) I did not feel uncomfortable as a 'stranger', nor as a woman alone.

A pleasant spot for a beer and/or a snack (they provide the usual croque monsieur, pizza and so on).

As in the majority of Luxembourg's cafes and bars, smoking is allowed.

• Singles
    • Women's Travel

• Mousel Cantine: Try the Jarret de Porc!

by weta Written Aug 27, 2006

The Cantine is situated at one corner of the now disused Mousel brewery complex in Clausen. The interior is a relaxed mix of bar and restaurant with big chunky wooden tables and solid wooden chairs. There is another room available for private parties but our group of 11 people (including 5 children under 6yo) were seated at a long table in the main front room near the bar.

The service staff were friendly and efficient, and were willing to listen to our attempts at speaking French but also spoke English when necessary. Orders were taken promptly and pleasantly and the food and drinks appeared without fuss or errors. The unfiltered Mousel is a great brew and is definitely my preferred drink there.

All in all we had a great night, from the food to the service and the atmosphere - great for a informal relaxing dinner, which is what it's all about isn't it?

Favorite Dish: The main of Jaret de Porc is a huge lump of pork, perfectly cooked from the middle out to the crispy and testy crackling. The accompanying roast potatoes were great and even the broad beans in heavy sauce were tasty - and I hate broad beans!

Desert for me was The Colonel - 3 scoops of lemon sorbet DROWNED in about an inch of straight Vodka which you could eat with a spoon or mix it all up and drink througha straw - fantastic! I had a taste of the Creme Broulet as well and that was delicious too. The Irish Whiskey looked fantastic with three distinct layers of Whiskey, coffee and cream.

• maria-belgrade's Profile Photo

What can I say...

by maria-belgrade Written Jul 2, 2004

As I have already mentioned, the luxemourgian cousine does not appeal to my taste. So, the best advice I can give you - do not eat dumplings, especially if you expect something like Czech dumplings. Soon you'll realize how wrong you were...
    Stick to good, old junk food :-)

• bzh's Profile Photo

Mousel's Cantine: Traditional food and local beer

by bzh Written Feb 24, 2003

If you want to sample Luxembourg's traditional food in a friendly atmosphere, head for the Mousel's Cantine. Beware though, traditional Luxembourg food is rather heavy so make sure you have worked up an apetite before going. This is a restaurant located just next to the Mousel brassery that produces the beer of the same name and is the only place where you will be find unfiltered Mousel beer that is way better than the standard one you'll have in bars.

Favorite Dish: Any of the traditional dishes and a pint of unfiltered Mousel beer.

• funkymama's Profile Photo

RESTAURANT LES CAVES...

by funkymama Written Aug 25, 2002

RESTAURANT LES CAVES GOURMANDES.

Favorite Dish: Noisettes d'agneau en croûte aux senteurs de Provence.
    about 19 euro.