Safety Tips in Luxembourg

Most Viewed Warnings and Dangers in Luxembourg

• DAO's Profile Photo

TAKE A BATH OR SHOWER

by DAO Written Sep 2, 2008

OK. Listen her mister. Notice I am only referring to guys. You are on your holidays. Fair enough – don’t shave. It hurts, you get cut, who needs that? You just got dressed in (I hope) clean clothes. What did we forget? You think the rest of humanity won’t notice? Let me tell you cold days (bad) or warm/hot days (much worse) you are a stinky bastard and we can ALL smell you and you smell like ***

Now, I have a habit of shouting very loudly in public:

“HEY! SMELLY BASTARD! WHY DO YOU STINK SO BAD?! WHY DID YOU NOT TAKE A BATH TODAY?! THEY HAVE WATER AND FREE SOAP AT YOUR HOTEL!”

Now I travel a lot and I have travelled to over 90 countries. Before you even THINK about making bathing optional because you don’t have to work this week – just remember 1 thing.

I will be waiting for you in a public place.

Clean it up mister!

If you are tired of smelling this guys – give me a (high) 5.

• Business Travel
    • Work Abroad

• chellediva's Profile Photo

Strong Coffee

by chellediva Written Jul 22, 2007

I stopped in Luxembourg for a petrol/bathroom/coffee break. The coffee came from a coffee machine that served it with optional cream and/or sugar. It was delicious! Until I spilled it all over my white pants. The darkest coffee on the lightest pants...only my luck. I'll try not to hold ill will toward Luxembourg.

• Upstate1NY's Profile Photo

Don't get seperated from your tour group!!

by Upstate1NY Updated Nov 12, 2005

I am in Frankfurt today laughing about the "problem" yesterday of accidently getting seperated from my tour when the bus driver sent me off in the wrong direction to join my group. OK not a "cool" thing but what made it worst was when I explained my problem to a pair of patrol officers in a car, the one in charge just laughed and offered no advice or assistance at all, refusing to even take my name in case my group contacted the police for help finding me. The "subordinate officer was stuck with the "offical line" but he did hand me a map and circled it where I was and were I probably should be to catch the bus back to Frankfurt.
    Luxembourg needs to work on the attitude of its patrol officers, whether they like Americans or not, they are, or should be. part of the public they are paid to protect even if it is from themselves or their mistakes!!)
    I dId encounter some VERY thoughtful, helpful people at the Grand Hotel Cravat near the main "drop off and pick up point". I know very little about their other services but their humanity was certainly OUTSTANDING in this case.
    Sadly I don't even have a photo of the Hotel, just it's name and location. When I get home I will try to add a map that will "point" you to them!!
    A google search does return a link for them so I have included it below!
    "Check them out" tell them you heard about how nice they were when some of the Luxembourg police were LESS than helpful. Yet the one officer certainly put himself at risk for handing me the map that got me to the hotel

• Castles and Palaces

• eriste's Profile Photo

Safest City in the world ???

by eriste Updated Mar 16, 2005

In a result of international estimation published in a newspaper in Finland 2003 (In May 2003 also at address http://www.bound4.com/b4/b4home.asp?sid=45 ) concerning the safety of cities Luxembourg was number one. After that Helsinki, Singapore and three cities of Switzerland Zurich, Geneva, and Bern held the second divided position.

In March 2005 Mercer Human Resource Consulting got almost the same resaults. Luxemburg 1. and Helsinki, Bern, Geneve, Zurich 2.

And based on what I could see I can believe on that estimaton conserning Luxembourg..

At railway station area some drug users and alcoholics could be seen but only few.

• morgane1692's Profile Photo

reeeeeally narrow parking spaces.

by morgane1692 Written Mar 26, 2004

Look at this, will you? We didn't have a microscopic Smart Car but it wasn't supersized, either. Genius navigation skills got us into this space, but my friend did have to crawl out the passenger side. Just don't drive anything bigger than an average sedan here or you'll face a similar predicament. ;-O

Pl. Guillaume II garage

• bzh's Profile Photo

Dangerous motorway

by bzh Updated Feb 24, 2003

If you drive into Luxembourg from France, using the A31 motorway, be extremely careful as this highway is one of the busiest in Europe and also happens to be fairly dangerous in bad weather conditions.

On the French side, you have standard tarmac that becomes a swimming pool under heavy rain. On the Luxemburguese side, you have water absorbing tarmac that behaves nearly as if it were dry.

Now, when the temperature drops below freezing point, the tarmac on the French side behaves as you would expect. Although it is not ideal, the road doesn't get too slippery. However, on the Luxemburguese side, the tarmac absorbs water. Under freezing condition, the water freezes deep inside the road and the whole thing becomes a huge skating ring.

• gnt70's Profile Photo

...I just want to advice you...

by gnt70 Written Sep 7, 2002

...I just want to advice you not to live in Kirchberg if you are coming to stay for a long time to Luxembourg without a car... There is no shop - pub - anything in the area and the buses are not coming that often. Many weekends you will feel sad not having any chance to buy cigarettes or a chocolate from a near shop.
    I propose to the authorities of Luxembourg to build a second elevator (additional to the one taking you to Grud) to take people from Kirchberg to Beggen where there is a Shell gas station open after hours and providing basic goods for survival :-)

• No real dangers here, but...

by James63 Written Aug 26, 2002

No real dangers here, but Luxembourg City is NOT for cars, which can be a real problem when access to the country as a whole is best facilitated by car. Note that the police are zealous in the extreme about ticketing - and it is not cheap. Luxembourg City is a maze of narrow one way streets in an otherwise great road system.

Also, while the people are generally friendly, you cannot count on it. If you are looking for directions, don't necessarily expect that the first person you meet will be eager to help.

• goingplaces's Profile Photo

This isn't so much a danger,...

by goingplaces Written Aug 25, 2002

This isn't so much a danger, but I think it warrants notice. We were driving through Luxembourg City, turned a corner, and ran into a curb. These curbs extended farther out into the road than the sidewalks, and we did a bit of damage to our rental car. Please, pay attention when driving through the cities!!

• B_Caro's Profile Photo

Be careful on the narrow...

by B_Caro Written Aug 24, 2002

Be careful on the narrow bikeways when you ride with two next to each other! Hélène and I stumbled within the first hour of our trip as our bikes hit each other while we were talking too much without paying attention to the road. Luckily for us we weren't hurt and most of our fellow bikers didn’t notice what was going on as we were cycling at the end ;-)

• tompt's Profile Photo

Don´t forget time

by tompt Written Sep 12, 2002

Don´t forget time when relaxing on a nice terrace. Drinking a good Luxembourg beer, like Diekirch, and enjoying the view, it is easy to forget you have to walk back to your hotel.......

Luxembourg Hotels

• Sofitel Luxembourg

The Sofitel is definetly an very well managed, clean place with a friendly staff and delicious food....

• Hotel Au Vieux Moulin

Well, this was very special as we went there for our first meeting anniversary. You might say it's...

• Hotel Heintz

Stadtbredimus Hotels
1 Review - 1 Photo
Schengen Hotels

Instant Answers: Luxembourg

Comments

Luxembourg Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Luxembourg warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Luxembourg sightseeing.
Map of Luxembourg