The Parish Church in Gharb is dedicated to the 'Visitation of Our Lady to St.Elizabeth'.Built in Baroque style like so many other churches in the Maltese islands it is one of the more attractive churches on Gozo.The feast day is on the 31st May and the outside festivities are held on the first weekend of July.
Hours of Mass:Mon till Fri-5.15am,6.00am,7.00am and 6.00pm
This museum opened in October 1996 and was the Brainchild of Mr 'Silvio Felice'.Although called a Folklore Museum it concentrates mostly on the trades and crafts formerly prevalent in these islands.
The museum is not a mere collection of tools and gadgets,but where possible,related items are exhibited together in a particular workshop.The museum is set in an old workshop which comprises of several floors including the rooftop with great views of the village square and church.There is also a small courtyard were you can sit and relax and drink coffee.
Opening times:Daily 10.00-17.00,Entry:€2.70
Ta' Pinu inside is even more beautiful.
6 mosaics, 76 coloured windows and many ex-votos are decorating the church, while the altar and the canopy attract the attention right from the entrance to the church.
The old structure existing on this place at the time the sanctuary was built is incorporated into the chapel behind the apse.
The sanctuary is built in a neo-Romanesque style using local stone.
The outside is characterized by straight lines, symetrical and simple.
Standing in austere isolation of the surrounding cultivated fields, the sanctuary can be seen from far away.
The name of the sanctuary comes from the name of a very religious man who took care of the old chapel.
His name was Pillippinu Gauci, Pinu for short.
He was the one to restore the chapel and ordered the painting of Our Lady Ta' Pinu, representing the Assumption of The Blessed Virgin to Heaven.
Dedicated to the Virgin Mary, ta' Pinu Sanctuary was built next to an old chapel, where it is believed that in 1883, a local woman, named Karmni Grima, heard Our Lady speaking to her.
Since the date of its consacration, the sanctuary became a pre-eminent shrine to the Virgin Mary and a final destination for Maltese and international pilgrims.
Ta Pinu Sanctuary is located on the eastern side of the valley separating the village of Gharb from Ghammar.
The church is surrounded by lush fields and there are no buildings close to it, except the few one-storey buildings at the end of the road leading to the square in front of the church.
The Sanctuary tal-Madonna ta' Pinu is 700m away from the village of Gharb, on the western part of the Island of Gozo.
The works for the sanctuary began in 1920 and the church was consecrated in 1932.
The huge basilica of ta' Pinu with its 47-meter-high campanile is Malta’s national shrine and a church of pilgrimage.
Gharb is a village located at the westernmost point of Gozo.
The remains of the village's old roots can be still seen in some of the decorated stone balconies.
Gharb is the second oldest village parish in Gozo. The village's church has an elegant facade which has been compared with Church of Saint Agnes in Piazza Navona in Rome.
Another attraction of Gharb is a fascinating folklore museum housing many objects reminding of Islands' rural history.
Gharb is one of the most beautiful and well-to-do villages on Gozo and contains more "houses of character" than any other, as well as a lot of holiday rental villas. It's easy to see why, the streets are lined with lovely properties, mostly in this beautiful warm stone, and many having nice traditional balconies.
We thought that the bell ringing was in some way automated, but when we looked up at the belltowers we saw that there were guys in there ringing the bells by hand. I hope that they had ear protection!
As well as the square being highly regarded, Gharb church (Church of the Visitation of Our Lady to St Elizabeth) is also regarded as being one of the finest in the whole of the Malta. It doesn't suffer from the over-sized, over-grandness of many other churches, having a beautiful symmetry in its curved baroque face.
Gharb is regarded as having one of the most picturesque and quaint squares in the whole of Malta. Part of this appeal comes from the fact that you can juxtaposition the Church, cross, phone box and police station light in your photograph. This must be one of the most photographed scenes on Gozo/Malta and appears on loads of postcards & guidebooks. So naturally I had to take the picture too.
The main painting of the church depicts the Assumption to the Heavens of Our Lady and was made by Amedeo Perugino in 1619.
Here's one of the churches two bell towers. It's decorated with the lights for the Festa as well as with some hangings. It was about midday and the bells were ringing a pretty carillon.