Fun things to do in Gozo

View from The Citadella
    by Balam
    Azure window (Gozo, Malta)
    by Redang
    Saltpans, Gozo
    by steventilly

Most Viewed Things to Do in Gozo

• shavy's Profile Photo

Wandering around the Capital City

by shavy Written Dec 14, 2013

Is the first town you come across when you get off the ferry and drove away from the harbour
    Victoria the capital of Gozo is not big and nothing much to see around in this capital except you have the good view from the Citadel,

And wandering around to the small alley. Nice to walk through, you'll see sometimes a home of the local which some of it build in a unique style
    In this very tight street, cars, garbage car, small truck drive through it, we have seen one small pick-up
    truck collecting the empty gas tank on the occupant in the area, wow, what can I say amazing! how they do that

Vehicles drive through in this very tight street

• shavy's Profile Photo

Victoria

by shavy Updated Nov 23, 2013

The capital of Gozo the place is located approximately in the middle of the island all the roads and paths in the islands lead to Victoria, the city was formerly called Rabat, which is Arabic for the town in 1897 the name of the town was changed in honor of the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria, popularly called the city still Rabat

The center of Victoria consists mainly of narrow streets and some squares on which the daily life of the city takes place, wandering around we've notice that sometimes in a narrow street you will across to a beautiful homes, building, shops and even fairly class boutiques is such amazing place

A view from the Citadel

• KCutajar's Profile Photo

Hidden Gems of Gozo

by KCutajar Updated Jan 26, 2013

Of course their is much more to do in Gozo. If you are up for hike I strongly suggest going to the top of two of Gozo's many hills to be able to view the stunning scenery: Saviour's Hill known for the statue of Christ it has on the top similar to the one in Brazil and the other one known as ''Ta Pinu'' in the village of Gharb, known for The Way of the Cross spread among st the passage with the final statue on top along side an old Greek Theater.

Also Calypso Cave is situated in Xaghra has both got a beautiful view of The Red Bay and the cave itself is known in legend as the one referred to by Homer in "The Odyssey" were Calypso kept Odysseus as a "prisoner of love"

• Religious Travel
    • Hiking and Walking

• Tripack's Profile Photo

Come to Comino

by Tripack Updated Oct 16, 2012

Comino is a small and quiet island between the islands of Malta and Gozo. The channel between Comino and Cominotto is well kowm for its crystal water and called the Blue Lagoon (see photo). This place is appreciate by many tourists for a day trip. Comino is classified as a nature reserve.

Comino and its Blue Lagoon St. Mary's Tower
    • Beaches
    • Cruise

• Tripack's Profile Photo

Dive now!

by Tripack Updated Oct 12, 2012

Gozo is for sure a top diving destination in Mediterranean Sea.

A great cocktail to enjoy every dive : crystal water, underwater caves and tunnels and some lively locals as barracuda, parrot fish, denti, fire worms, jellyfish (ouch), grouper, shrimp, sea cicida (yummy),...

Some ratings of my dives around : Blue Hole***** (a Must dive), Coral Cave****, Xlendi tunnel***, Reqqa Point***.

Many dive sites are accessible from the shore, be aware that you should walk on slippery or bumpy surfaces and take sometimes scales to go out the water. Be a safe diver!

I dived with the efficient St. Andrew's Gozo Divers to my great satisfaction.

So dive now... work later!

Ready to dive? Reqqa Point dive site Xlendi dive site Xlendi area Blue Hole, a Must dive!
    • Diving and Snorkeling

• Turska's Profile Photo

Ta' Dbiegi Crafts Village

by Turska Updated May 29, 2011

It was one stop at hop on hop off- bus tour. It was march, so some of the shops were closed. There were handmade jewellery, leather works, glas, paintings, woodgrafts, clothes, pottery...
    Prices were higher than in tourist shops usually, and my guidebook says, that these aren´t necessery really made here. But if you like them, who cares where they are made :)
    We bought a small candle holder made of violet glas and I bought leather bracelet. Everything else was quite expensive, and the clothes and lace weren´t actually our style. Of course metal smiths workshop was interesting to me, because I´ve done that too. And there really was a man at work.
    Maybe many items were more interesting for little older people. I don´t use tablecloths for example.
    There were only one coupple and us as customers, so it really wasn´t were lively at march.

• Turska's Profile Photo

The Ġgantija Temples

by Turska Written May 29, 2011

Worlds oldest man built buildings dating to between 3600 BC and 3200 BC.
    It was interesting to see these, but it was little disapointing not to get inside the temples. At all guidebooks the photos have been taken from inside, so I guess those gates haven¢¥t been here for so many year yet. We happened to be there at the same time with a big bus group with a guide telling them about the place. It wasn¢¥t in English, so we didn¢¥t understand her, but all the people blocked our way to see so well. I just needed to get through those people just to get at least some photos. But I was sorry not to get more photos inside. Because you can¢¥t get really in (there¢¥s one small area where you are allowed) you can¢¥t spend SO MUCH time in here, it took abou 10 to 15min. Even the time that hop on hop off bus gave us was too long. We thought first it wouldn¢¥t be enough, but we needed to wait for the bus. And we are those people who usually spend a lot of time in places like this.
    I think they could have let us to get in the bigger area, and just block the way from touching the walls etc.
    But of course, this is still worth seeing! Just don¢¥t think you¢¥ll be able to go as well inside as most guidebooks tell you.

• Archeology
    • Photography

• SpagBoll's Profile Photo

Ta' Dbiegi Craft Village

by SpagBoll Updated Apr 4, 2011

This is a collection of Potters, Metal Workers, Leather Workers, textiles and general souvenirs. Really worth a visit, more so than maybe the market in Victoria.

All of the crafts people were really helpful, taking time out to explain what they did, how they did it, or how they could make items to order if required.

We bought so many things here that we had such fun trying to fit them into the case for the trip home.

Some examples

• skatzcatz's Profile Photo

Gozo Jeep Tour

by skatzcatz Written Nov 10, 2009

The Gozo Island Day trip has been one of the best day trips I've ever done in all countries I've visited. We had Eddie Vella the owner as our guide and with his local knowledge and ability to adapt the tour to our interests it was a very enjoyable day. the ride in the back of the suzuki jeep is comfortable and the spare time provided allows time to do our own thing at times. Eddie also noticed my interest in photography and never hesitated to stop to allow me to take another photograph. I would recommend a Gozo Island Jeep tour to anyone with a day spare in Malta.

Gozo Jeep Tour Gozo Jeep Tour Gozo Jeep Tour Gozo Jeep Tour Gozo Jeep Tour
    • Eco-Tourism

• Dick33's Profile Photo

On the roof

by Dick33 Updated Apr 28, 2009

We went to the Rotunda church and if you pay a small charge they let you go up around the dome. The photo isn't very good but it is me in the bell tower.
    It was a fantastic experiance.
    The church was built around the old one so the people of xewkija always had a church in the centre of the town.
    When me and my Mum came here a gentleman with a bad leg stumbled on the steps lucky for him I caught him in my arms and didn't fall too he thanked me because he wasn't good on his legs and he would have really hurt himself if he had fallen. he had been posted in Malta during the War and told me some old war stories. He also told me he and his wife where taking holidays all over Europe while in I think he told me Bulgaria a Lady was hitting her child for being naughty a German woman from the bus trip they where on said "Excuse me but in Germany we don't beat up our children!" the Bulgarian replied " is that right well here we don't gas our Jews!" he thought this was so funny as did I but his wife reminded him the War was over. I was so glad I was able to help him.

• Castles and Palaces

• Redang's Profile Photo

Churches of Gozo (2/4): Ta' Pinu

by Redang Updated Oct 25, 2008

Built in 1.920, this National Sanctuary is dedicated to Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Ta' Pinu). It's a spot of pilgrimage visited by Pope John Paul II on 26 May 1.990.

- Fax: (+356) 2156 2350

Ta' Pinu (Gozo, Malta) Ta' Pinu (Gozo, Malta) Ta' Pinu (Gozo, Malta) Ta' Pinu (Gozo, Malta) Ta' Pinu (Gozo, Malta)

• krissyM's Profile Photo

Il-Borgo

by krissyM Written Jun 12, 2008

The Old town of Victoria - Il Borgo is a confusing maze of narrow streets surrounding the Pjazza San Gorg. These streets are a great place to wander for a few hours as they are lined with shops, cafes and restaurants.

• krissyM's Profile Photo

Cathedral of the Assumption

by krissyM Written Jun 12, 2008

This church was built between 1697 and 1711 to replace the church that had been destroyed in an earthquake in 1693. The Cathedral was designed by Lorenzo Gafa, who also designed St. Paul's Cathedral in Mdina.

Due to a lack of funds the Dome atop the Cathedral was never finished. Inside however, the facade of one was created by clever trompe l'oeil painting.

Admission includes a self-guided audio tour. You can also visit the Cathedral museum with your admission ticket.

• Religious Travel

• steventilly's Profile Photo

Ta' Pinu - Stations Of The Cross

by steventilly Updated Jan 8, 2008

On the opposite side of the road to the entrance to Ta' Pinu is a track that leads uphill. At various points up this hill are statues, each representing one of the stations of the cross. As you ascend the hill you get great views over Ta' Pinu and beyond, right to the sea. It seems like you can see all of Gozo from up there.

Ta' Pinu, The Stations Of The Cross Ta' Pinu, The Stations Of The Cross Ta' Pinu, The Stations Of The Cross Ta' Pinu, Sweeping Vista

• steventilly's Profile Photo

Ghajnsielem

by steventilly Updated Jan 8, 2008

Ghajnsielem is the town on the hill above Mgarr harbour. It is dominated by its huge parish church which is steepled as well as domed - quite unusual for Gozo and Malta. The church sits in the middle of a huge square, around which are ranged a couple of cafe/bars belonging to the local band club and football club, as well as some small "corner shop" style emporiums. There is a small park with benches and stunning views down to the harbour below.
    The side streets are full of quite grand houses and some typically Maltese balconied terraces. Ghajnsielem seems quite a well to do town. Elsewhere in the town centre stands a monument to Anglu Grech, a local shepherd whose visitation by The Virgin Mary led to the foundation of the parish here, as well as a couple of other smaller, but quite lovely, churches.

Ghajnsielem Parish Churh Ghajnsielem Street Ghajnsielem Street Ghajnsielem Monument to Anglu Grech, Ghajnsielem

Gozo Hotels

Calypso Hotel Gozo
Cornucopia
Downtown Hotel

Instant Answers: Gozo

Comments

Gozo Things to Do

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Gozo locals.
Map of Gozo