Malta Restaurants

• Marks and Spencers Food Kitchen, Sliema, Malta
    Marks and Spencers Food Kitchen, Sliema,...
  • Oskar Stuffing his Face with Savoury Muffin, Malta
    Oskar Stuffing his Face with Savoury...
    Mint Cafe, Sliema, Malta

Most Recent Restaurants in Malta

Ta' Frenc Il-koy: Marsaxlokk: Fresh Fish/Mediterranean

by antistar Updated Jul 29, 2014

They say that in Marsaxlokk the fisherman go out to sea and make their catch, while their wives stay behind to cook in the restaurants. Along the sea town's arching harbour front you will see plenty of restaurants, many of them with women outside enticing you inside with special offers and plates of fresh fish. And it is really fresh - it comes straight in from the boats. I saw fresh deliveries straight from rough hands of salty old men while I was eating.

Ta' Frenc Il-koy is a classic example. The women and young family members who run the restaurant will immediately make you feel at home, and children will receive an especially warm welcome. I found my pasta dish to be excellent - much better than I'd expect from a small restaurant in a small town. My wife took the fish platter, with three different kinds of fish. One fish was wonderful, one was so-so and the other she didn't like too much, but overall it was a good meal.

The only real mess-up was my son's dish, which I think was forgotten and it came late. He'd stuffed himself with so much free bread (keeps him from going crazy) that by the time his food arrived he didn't want to eat it at all.

Ta' Frenc Il-koy, Marsaxlokk, Malta No fish for you!

Bottegin Palazzo Xara: Rabat: Maltese

by antistar Updated Jul 29, 2014

This is reviewed as one of the best restaurants in Rabat, but it's only a small town (and this is Malta) so don't expect too much. I enjoyed my meal a lot: A Maltese dish of ricotta and pea pie. The only downside was the potato chips served with it turned out to be exactly that: potato chips from a packet. Nice ones, though. My wife thought her dish was pretty average at best, and my son had some very tough fish fingers, but he enjoyed them.

The service was friendly and the restaurant itself is very nice, although like the menu, which roams all over, the place didn't seem to know exactly what it was: A bar? A restaurant? A social club? The price was reasonable too.

Bottegin Palazzo Xara, Rabat, Malta

Mint: Sliema: New Zealand Cafe

by antistar Updated Jul 29, 2014

It's hard to describe the kind of food you will get in MINT, but it's very tasty. They describe it as fresh, seasonal and homemade. What you get is a cozy self-service cafe with a range of tasty dishes that you can pick and choose from the glass cabinet. They will then heat, mix it or whatever is required and bring it to your table. I had a savoury muffin and tabbouleh. I'm not sure if that was supposed to go together but they didn't care and it tasted great. My son absolutely adored the savoury muffin, cramming it into his mouth with both hands and applauding while he chewed. I've never seen him do that before.

They also describe this place as a New Zealand cafe. I don't know what that means either, but I certainly heard Kiwi accents among the friendly, helpful staff.

Oskar Stuffing his Face with Savoury Muffin, Malta Mint Cafe, Sliema, Malta

Marks and Spencer's Food Kitchen: Sliema: Food Kitchen

by antistar Updated Jan 9, 2013

Check out the picture. That's the view from the terrace (in December too). With a view like that you might think it was an expensive restaurant, but it's just the Food Kitchen on the top floor of Marks and Spencer's. With a store canteen I was expecting middle-aged women tucking into soup and sandwiches on plastic tables decorated with plastic flowers, surrounded by whitewashed walls. I didn't expect a crisply decorated modern food kitchen, serving imaginative dishes with the best view I've ever enjoyed in a restaurant.

The food is great value, with full table service, except that you pay as you leave. There's great variety, and many vegetarian options. I had the "chef's special" of a very unusual Tabbouleh salad, made with a mix of dried fruit and topped with feta cheese. I would normally hate that much dried fruit, but this was surprisingly nice. The soups and sandwiches also seemed very popular.

Marks and Spencers Food Kitchen, Sliema, Malta Marks and Spencers Food Kitchen, Sliema, Malta

Margo's: Valletta: Pizza

by antistar Written Jan 6, 2013

Excellent pizza, friendly service, but soooo slow. It wasn't really their fault - a party of about a dozen had arrived just before us. But there was no warning. There was no apology. And worst of all a group of three men arrived long after we'd ordered, about an hour that is, and they got their food before us. They seemed to be friends of the staff. That was annoying.

On another day it would probably be a very good experience, and I enjoyed my pizza when it arrived, although my hunger might have affected how tasty I found the damn thing to be!

Four stars for food, three stars because I had to wait so long.

Margo's Pizzeria, Valletta, Malta

Vecchia Napoli: Sliema: Pizza

by antistar Written Jan 3, 2013

I was warned the food in Malta was bad, so I researched each restaurant carefully. This one came highly recommended, and for me it was excellent. The pizza had a perfect base, and the topping was unusual but extremely tasty. I've never had shredded lettuce on pizza before, but it absolutely worked. The local wine was also good value and very pleasant.

It's cozy, with a great location on the waterfront. The staff are friendly and the place is right on the waterfront within easy walking distance of anywhere in Sliema, as well as some parts of St. Julian's.

Opens at 6pm

Favorite Dish: The Vesuvio Pizza.

• Scarlet Lounge: Great New Place

by gemeosat Written Sep 20, 2011

The decor of this restaurant is very chic and modern. It is actually divided in several parts. A restaurant ,a lounge bar and the bar area. I liked the lighting in the restaurants...makes a really nice atmosphere.

The food can be described as mediterranean food...there are everything starting from salads,pasta,grills,fresh fish and tapas

Favorite Dish: I ve been to this place 2 times already and have always chose to go for the duck breast which is absolutely great...panfried in blackcurrant sauce......awesome

• Music

• Ta' Pennellu: Great Find in Marsalforn

by rmitgoteam Updated May 25, 2011

This small, cozy restaurant is located right at the harbor in Marsalforn. There's outdoor seating in front or you can eat inside where the young Maltese owner and cook hangs his modern art on the walls. The food was delicious and artfully prepared. For lunch, we had bruschetta, fresh fish, and a thin-crusted Italian style pizza. There are lots of other meat and pasta dishes on the menu as well. The tasty red wine is made by the father himself who lived in New York for 13 years. The restaurant has a bistro feel with soft music playing in the background. The atmosphere is friendly and informal. Attention to detail is apparent in everything about this restaurant. Best of all, the prices are very reasonable. With so few restaurants to chose from in this part of Gozo, here is a great restaurant that you should not miss.

• Rampila Restaurant and Wine Bar: Historical Ambience

by mizzn004 Written Apr 15, 2011

Rampila is situated close to the city gate of valletta, opposite St John's Cavalier. The place is definitley authentic. Its main dining room is in a tunnel which apparently was bulit at the time of the knights of St John. The overall feeling is cozy and initimate. According to me though, nothing beats its lovely terrace which is actually embedded in the bastions giving a great view. The food was well presented, fresh and tasty. What makes this place so special?? Its historical feeling and an exhibition featuring a historical presentation of the maltese villages. Well done!!

Favorite Dish: seafood pasta. A lovely plate of pasta with octopus, clams, prawns and mussels.

• Tarragon, St. Paul's Bay: Tarragon - Beware of the Patron!

by SusanneMunich Written Apr 6, 2011

If you are happy to put up with slow service, mediocre food and an ill-kempt and ill-tempered patron, you may like “Tarragon”.
    If you would like to be served by staff who know how to filet a fish, can recommend a matching wine and who want you to have a pleasant evening in this disproportionally expensive restaurant, go elsewhere.

Favorite Dish: Do not eat fish, as the staff do not know how to filet or serve it.

Il-Forn: Open air simple food

by ray_d Updated Apr 4, 2011

A late-night restaurant of eclectic tastes.
    Not particularly excellent but enjoyable enough and the food is as natural as you can get.
    Cheap as chips and reminds me of my student days, only now it is Yuppy country. A room is given over to an Art gallery.
    I shall not comment on the displayed art.
    The place is easy to miss. It is a normal house which once was an oven. So the name: Il-Forn (The Oven).
    I would have enjoyed it more if the smell from the Pigeon Avery on the adjoining roof did not mix smells with my food and service was not confined to only 1 waiter and 1 waitress. I hope the cook was not the artist.
    8/10 for the food and the location.

Favorite Dish: Ftira: a flat, stiff bread filled with everything under God's sun.

Tight streets loose change

Le Dauphin (The Dolphin): French taste with views to match

by ray_d Updated Apr 4, 2011

I have been here before but not with this wonderful French inspired cuisine.
    The 3 rd floor overlooks Spinola Bay through wide open windows.
    The decor is simple and pleasant and an air of sophistication is in evidence.
    Service is discreet and unobtrusive.
    Food is tasty and simple with local flavours mixed in with freshest sea-food.
    Pricey but very enjoyable. Enough for it to be my first restaurant on my return.

Favorite Dish: No dish is special in its own way but it is the taste and freshness that pleases my eyes and stomach.
    I tried fish, Squid and pate' and sorbets.
    All had the same care.

The Bay

Paparazzi: The View is good

Paparazzi Pizzeria

Actually named Paparazzi Restaurant but the name is a little presumptuous.

Reasonable food.
    Expectable price.
    Large portions.
    Quality reasonable.
    What it lacked in quality it made up in quantity and speed of service was comforting.
    The view is excellent sitting half way up the hill on St. George street overlooking Spinola bay.
    Traffic is unbelievably heavy but a pay car-park is on top of the hill and 300 metres to the left on the same road.
    I would call this a medium priced place in which one could spend a pleasant evening with friends.
    Go for the view.

Favorite Dish: My mixed fish platter looked great but taste disappointing but then again the price I paid was miniscule.

Breath taking

• vebea's Profile Photo

The Grapes: Restaurant to avoid in Rabat

by vebea Written Jun 21, 2010

We had lunch in this restaurant when in Rabat, the food was so-so - everything was served in the same white wine sauce, not bad but rather bland. The restaurant obviously caters for groups. A few minutes after we arrived a coachful of elderly tourists poured in, there was chaos and noise and the service was slow. We hardly swallowed the last bite and were rushing out into the street. It was an awful experince.

• sandokan_19's Profile Photo

Numeronove 9 Church Street, Paceville, Malta: Don"t miss The Fresh Seafood

by sandokan_19 Updated Sep 22, 2009

very good service....fresh food and very cheep it is near of the sea, so i would recommend this restaurant and you will be see how is it ther my favourite food is spaghetti carbonara...

Favorite Dish: my favorit food it is spaghetti carbonara....

Instant Answers: Malta

Comments

Malta Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Malta restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Malta sightseeing.