Malta Warnings and Dangers

• penumbra's Profile Photo

Hard Rock "Beaches"

by penumbra Written Oct 12, 2013

Sliema

It's tough to find a sandy beach in Malta. The "beaches" near the tourist hotels in Sliema are solid rock with grooves and pathways cur or worn into the surface. The nicest beach I saw was in Birzebbuga near the container port.

• Beaches

Smoking matters.

by planxty Updated Sep 14, 2013

Smoking notice, Malta.

I am a smoker and I make no apology for it. I realise it is not good for my health and so on and I also realise that my country's economy would be in an even more parlous state if it were not for the punitive taxes imposed upon us by the Government. Allow me to explain the situation regarding smoking in public places in Malta.

I was interested to find out that Malta was the second place in Europe to introduce a smoking ban, a mere week after the government in Republic of Ireland had imposed similar restrictions upon it's citizens. So smoking in public places is against the law but what are the realities?

Smoking outside is permitted and most bars / cafes etc. have semi-covered areas. This is, after all, Southern Europe where the cafe society is King. I have seen a thing here in Malta that the British Government and anti-smoking lobby in UK would not have the decency to consider, that of the "legal smoking room". Admittedly, they are not common but they do exist. They are fully enclosed rooms where smoking is permitted. I do not know what the legal requirements are for having such a room but if, like me, you visit in months where the weather is less than brilliant you may want to look out for them.

As for enforcement, well that is another thing. Some places, late at night with only a few locals in, will break out the ashtrays or even just tell you to stub your butts out on the floor. I have even been in small locals bars where they just ignore the ban completely and carry on as they have done for years. I have yet to see any police checking on it.

You should be aware though that if the police do come calling, not only is the premises owner liable to a fine but you are also liable to a personal fine for smoking. As always I have tried to present the facts accurately here so the decision as to whether you light up or not, even if everyone else is doing so, is up to you.

Update September 2013.

Just to add a little further confusion to a pretty baffling situationI will share another piece of information with you. A specific place I had been drinking in for a couple of weeks had a legal smoking room. I will not name it for reasons that will become obvious. One evening I went to this place and noticed there were no ashtrays in it as was the norm. I made a comment to one of the other regulars who I had spoken to before and he told me that smoking was no longer allowed in the room. When I enquired what had changed, I was told that the management had not "paid off" the police enough and had been threatened with being fined heavily. I had this information subsequently confirmed by a member of staff.

This throws into some confusion the concept of the legal smoking room I mentioned in my original tip. Are they actually legal or are they just a little perk bought off a corrupt police force? I really do not know. To be on the safe side, I am now going to amend my advice and suggest you only smoke in the semi-covered areas provided.

• Dizzyhead's Profile Photo

The sun.

by Dizzyhead Written Sep 8, 2013

Malta is situated in the Mediterrean and here it is a lot of sun during the high season, so be really careful when you walk for a long time on the beach or boardwalk, or just go down and lay down on the rocks. Be protected by sun Cream and have a hat, maybe an umbrella with you if you have kids. Everything which keeps away the sun is a good thing!

Avoid if you can.

by planxty Written Feb 25, 2013

Taxis, Sliema, Malta.

I have ranted and raved on various VT pages about the perfidy of taxi drivers elsewhere in the world, especially my home city of London, %L% where I find licensed taxi fares obscene. I know the scams and I know how to get the proper price.

I have written elsewhere on my Malta pages about avoiding the taxis hanging about at the airport as the airport bus is equally quick and a whole lot cheaper. One evening, however, I wanted to go from St. Julians to where I was staying in Sliema where I was staying. I normally walk this two or two and a half mile distance but on this particulat evening the weather was particularly foul, as it can be in Malta at that time of year so I decided to treat myself.

I did everything right, I knew the route (effectively a straight run), the meter was on and all the normal things were in place. I could not believe it when a very few minutes later and having been dropped exactly where I wanted, I was asked for €10. These are London prices. I have no idea how they justify this.

Yes, the taxis here are good, clean modern vehicles. The drivers willspeak English if that is your first or available language but, believe me, they will charge you for the privelege.

Definitely not for the budget traveller.

Keep your clothes on.

by planxty Written Feb 24, 2013

Warning sign, Sliema Beach, Malta.

Whilst out walking shortly after arriving in Malta, I came upon the sign pictured by the beach in Sliema. In truth, it would have been a fairly hardy person who would have been sunbathing at all on what was a fairly raw February day but I thought I would share this with VT readers for when the glorious summer comes around. Basically, topless / nude bathing and sunbathing is not allowed in Malta so do not get caught out and risk a court case and potential fine by doing it.

A quote from the Justice Ministry, taken from the attached website suggests that there may be a slight decriminilisation of the matter as in not being taken to Court but being dealt with by a local tribunal in the same manner as for minor traffic offences etc. However, you should be aware of the current law. You have been warned and the decision is now up to you.

Here is the quote,

"Maltese law does not allow nudism in public places and beaches are considered public places.” The arraignments of tourists in Malta were normally treated quickly. This was to ensure that they could return home on their pre-booked flights, with no extra costs incurred, a ministry spokesman said. When asked if there are any plans to introduce spot fines to replace court cases for such incidents, the spokesman said the government was in the process of reviewing all possible offences and some might eventually be “decriminalised”. “Once this happens, these offences will no longer be dealt with by the criminal courts but by regional tribunals, as is already the case for traffic and certain environmental offences. “Individuals accused of such offences will also be able to settle fines electronically, by post or at one of the local councils’ offices.”

Get plugged in.

by planxty Written Feb 21, 2013

Electrical plug, Malta.

I am not sure if this is exactly the correct section to put this in but I cannot really think of anywhere else to put it. I suppose it is a warning to those of you used to the standard European two pin electrical plug.

Undoubtedly as a result of the long period of British influence on the island, the M use a three pin square 13 amp electrical plug which I use in the UK but have not seen elsewhere. The plug is as shown in the image. If you are coming from just about anywhere else in the world, you will need an adaptor and / or transformer. I am certainly no electrician but I am told that the supply here can fry your delicate appliances like computers fairly well if you do not have the appropriate equipment.

Hopefully, the attached website should assist.

Safe Streets

by antistar Written Jan 23, 2013

Malta is a very safe place with minimal levels of crime. Fist fights make headline news on this small island. Most of the trouble probably comes from tourists, who unlike the Maltese can be unpredictable and often drunk (but usually happy and harmless). Areas heavy with bars and clubs, like the Paceville area of St. Julian's, have a bad reputation and could be problematic at night.

Traffic Jams

by antistar Written Jan 21, 2013

The traffic in and around Valletta is pretty bad at all times of the day, but at rush hour you can expect your bus journey to take much longer, sometimes twice as long. Sometimes I was stuck on a bus and overtaken by pensioners and people with pushchairs.

Christmas in Malta

by antistar Written Jan 4, 2013

Christmas in Malta

I thought being a Catholic country, and a fairly religious one (it's the most religious country in the EU) that everything would shut down over Christmas. But I was wrong. In fact it was very busy shopping day the Sunday before Christmas, and Christmas Eve the shops opened later rather than closing early. On Christmas Day it seemed most important services were still running, including the ferry to Gozo, but the early part of the afternoon was quiet time for workers to be with their families. I was still able to hire a driver to take me to the airport, and of course the airport was running as normal except for all the shops there being shut.

Malta with Infants

by antistar Updated Jan 3, 2013

Pushchair spaces on the buses, Malta.

The Maltese are very kind towards children, especially the smallest ones. We would constantly have strangers entertaining our son, even teenagers on the bus. He was rarely bored. Our son attracted a lot of attention, and it was always welcome. People were very helpful when they saw us struggling, and the restaurants all had baby chairs and the staff paid a lot of attention to him.

Getting around can be a bit of a challenge though. Pushing a baby carriage up the steep hills is exhausting, and jumping onto a bus to take a rest isn't so easy either. It's improved now they have the modern buses, but often the bus driver won't open the easy access doors at the back unless you ask him. Getting on the bus is a scrum where all the Maltese kindness disappears. There's limited space to put a pushchair on the bus, and these spaces are prioritized for disabled people. We had to give up the spot twice on one trip to Marsaxlokk, on the way there, and on the way back. Our son was not happy to sit in my lap for an hour.

Pavements are generally pretty good, but the traffic is quite dangerous. Drivers don't often stop at zebra crossings even when they see you are with a push chair. Often I had to move out a little into the road to get them to pay attention and stop, and even then I risked having some idiot overtake the stopped car and hit me. The bus drivers are also often reckless and act like they are competing in a Formula One race, which is both bad when you are on the street and inside desperately trying to stop your child flying down the corridor.

Driving

by antistar Written Jan 3, 2013

The Maltese are friendly, helpful people when you meet them in the street, but they are pretty horrible behind the wheel of a car. Don't assume they will stop for you at a Zebra crossing because quite often they won't. On the few occasions that someone did stop, more than once the person behind overtook them aggressively and nearly ran me over. And I had a child in a pushchair!

It won't help either if you aren't used to British style left-hand driving.

Steep Hills

by antistar Written Jan 3, 2013

Steep Street, Valletta

For what is a relatively flat island, Malta sure has its share of steep hills. The problem is that it seems almost every town is built on some kind of hill. Valletta is the worst, with some of the steepest, scariest streets I've ever experienced, but Sliema and the Three Cities are also challenging. Riding a bike down some of them would be an exhilarating and quite possibly life threatening experience. You'll need to develop iron calves if you want do so some serious urban exploring.

• oRi_5's Profile Photo

Avoiding the jellyfish!

by oRi_5 Updated Nov 29, 2009

As you may or may not have heard, unfortunately Malta keeps getting plagued by more and more jellyfish every summer due to the constant increase in temperature. In order to avoid travelling towards a beach and on arriving not even being able to swim (or risk getting stung), a good trick is to ask for the weather report.

Check the local newspaper or ask at hotel reception for the direction of the wind on that day. Then just grab a map of Malta and if for example the wind direction is West then the good beaches to go swimming on that day are those on the East of Malta - since jellyfish move with the current.

I have always used this tactic and it has always worked out very well for me! :)

If you want to be on the safe side, carry some vinegar with you in case you do get stung. Then just apply it as soon as you're out of the water after 'scraping off' the sting with a credit card to get rid of the excess poison.

• Beaches

• Malta Paceville - Young drunk agressive kids

by shmangled Written May 21, 2009

If you decide to visit Malta, be aware that they are one of the most aggressive nations in the world. I went to a club with my girlfriend and a group started harassing her because she is really beautiful. When I asked them to stop and leave her alone, they didn't want to stop and even the bouncers didn't really care when I approached them.

I had words with the group to inform them that they are really sad that they cannot respect a woman's requests to be left alone. They were obviously looking for that type of reaction from me because then it gave them some kind of reason to follow us out of the club when we left and beat us both up in public, with police around and nothing got done about it.

The police in Malta are just as corrupt... If you are a foreigner, do not try call the police for assistance because if you cannot speak Maltese, you are not worthy of being assisted.

My thoughts on Malta, DO NOT GO TO MALTA!

• Singles

• Malta Dust

by Miloshme Written Mar 5, 2009

Malta being a little island has limited living space, so much so that it seems they are always pulling something down to make it bigger or higher. If you are a person who suffers from hayfever, asthma, or similar problems (even a smoker) - beware of ending up in hospital. With all the dust and heat, you'll find it increasingly difficult to breath.

• Seniors

Instant Answers: Malta

Comments

Malta Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Malta warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Malta sightseeing.