Marsaxlokk Restaurants

by tim07

Most Recent Restaurants in Marsaxlokk

• Matthew's Bar and Restaurant: Quite disappointed

by diego76diego Written Oct 9, 2011

I followed the advice from other reviewers and stopped at this restaurant on the promenade.
    In brief: the fish is cooked in fat butter even if it is grilled. Vegetables/rice/side dishes are without salt.
    The octopus in garlic is actually octopus in onion - they have have confused the look of those!
    That was for sure our last time at the place.

Favorite Dish: None

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

Matthew's Bar and Restaurant

by HORSCHECK Updated Jan 5, 2011

As we hiked from Marsaskala to Marsaxlokk, we were quite hungry on arrival in Marsaxlokk at around lunch time.

More by chance than on purpose we spotted Matthew's Bar and Restaurant and as many of the tables were taken we decided to give it a try.

Matthew's Bar and Restaurant is a simple family run restaurant with good local cuisine. About 10 plastic tables are placed outside on the pavement.

They are specialised in fish dishes, but the menu also offers a selection of snacks, sandwiches, salads, pasta and and meat dishes.

I opted for fish and chips (6 Euro) and a local beer. My meal was tasty and filling. The service was friendly and attentive.

Matthew Matthew

• Skuna Bar: This cafe has been closed for at least three years

by Boredperson Written Nov 20, 2010

This cafe/restaurant used to be well known in the village. Now it is deserted, windows smashed and generally very tatty. The owners do not wish to sell it, neither will they do it up or re-open it. It does nothing for the ambience of an otherwise up-and-coming village.

• Ix-Xlukkajr: Do miss the overcooked seafood!

by jolvb Written Apr 19, 2010

We read a glowing recommendation of this restaurant on your site and we went with high expectations. We paid over Euro 40 for a platter of seafood for two persons, consisting of 2 overcooked scallops smothered in a cheese sauce, about 14 nice mussels, about 8 overcooked prawns,about 8 totally uninteresting kalamare rings and a handful of badly overcooked and barely edible shrimps. The service was slow: it took around 45 minutse to be serbed this platter. We felt badly cheated. We were served little and poor quality food at a ludicrous price.

• Seniors
    • Fishing

• tim07's Profile Photo

Various: Harbour view

by tim07 Updated Oct 10, 2009

Many of the restaurants around the quayside have shaded open air seating areas on the quay. A great place to sit and shelter from the sun, as you eat your meal & look out across the picturesque harbour.

• leics's Profile Photo

Matthew's: Fish.

by leics Updated Aug 25, 2009

I am reliably informed that the fish you get here is as good as you will get elsewhere in the village, but at a very reasonable price.

Only a few tables inside, but lots out on the harbourside (in the warm/hot weather, obviously......but that is most of the year in Malta).

Don't expect speedy service. This is not really something Malta does. Just place your order, and then enjoy a drin k, the view and the cool of the evening whilst it is being cooked. It will be good.

I had lampuki (dorado) ...a chunk from a large one. It was lovely, the sauce probably the tomato-iest I have tasted. The vegetables were good too.

Recommended.

Favorite Dish: Fish.

It won't be frozen.

Matthew's My lampuki The veggies. The swordfish steak.
    • Seniors

• Joeyfrommalta's Profile Photo

ix-xlukkajr: Food poisoning - be warned

by Joeyfrommalta Written Apr 27, 2007

This restaurant came highly recommended however, after getting food poisoning there from what I can only assume was not so fresh fish, I would steer clear of this restaurant if I were you.

Was sick for days!!!!

• Elly01's Profile Photo

Cafeteria in Square: Cafeteria in Square

by Elly01 Written Apr 23, 2007

I am not sure about the name of this cafeteria but once I went to have a hot chocolate here as it is very nice as it is in the square close to where the market is held just opposite the parish church.

On Sundays afternoon in Winter it is always packed with people who go and have a drink after going for a picnic or a long walk.

cafeteria
    • Wine Tasting

• Elly01's Profile Photo

Ron's Restuarant: Local fish Restuarant

by Elly01 Written Apr 23, 2007

This restuarant I personally visited myself. The food is very good even though I am not such a lover of fish dishes however I took meat for sure when I went. However I remember the salad was not so fresh so be careful !

One can eat in the balcony as it faces the sea promenade very romantic atmosphere.

Favorite Dish: Most probably veal with bread crumbs

Ron's Restuarant

• Diana75's Profile Photo

Harbour restaurants

by Diana75 Updated Nov 5, 2006

In line with Marsaxlokk's reputation, many restaurants have opened in the harbour's area in order to meet the ever-increasing demand.

The best ones have the menu based obviously on fish, but there are also excellent Mediterranean cuisine and even a Chinese restaurant.

Trying a tasteful fish dish is definitely a thing that shouldn't be missed in Marsaxlokk.

Marsaxlokk restaurant Marsaxlokk restaurant
    • Luxury Travel

• Bigs's Profile Photo

Mr Fitz Bar&Restaurant: Don't miss the fresh seafood!!!

by Bigs Written Aug 22, 2004

There are a lot of restaurants on the seaside promenade. We decided to take the last one, cause there were some locals sitting at one table... Seems that it was a good joice, the food was really tasty....

Favorite Dish: I had the swordfish steak and ordered baked potatoes and vegetables instead of fries and salad. I hate fishbones and so this was the perfect choice for me. My friend took the Lampuki, a typical Maltese fish, with some more smaller bones...

All have been very tasty and a free glass of wine was included in the midday menu. All mixed with the lovely view over the harbour made it very special....

And last but not least it really was cheap. We payed around 4 Malta Lire for the both of us, which is about 10 €.

My yummy swordfish

• steventilly's Profile Photo

Piscese: Don't Miss The Fresh Seafood!

by steventilly Updated Jun 24, 2003

Marsaxlokk is full of cafes and restaurants - almost all of them ranged along the harbourside. Mostly they specialise in fish & seafood, though most also do pasta & pizza. We stopped for a drink at one of them - Piscese - and read later in our guidebook that this is one of the better places to eat in Marsaxlokk. I can't comment - we didn't eat anywhere, nor did we even look at the menues - it was only 10:30 when we left the place!
    Here I'll just give you a look at some of the places - they all look pretty attractive, though like anywhere I guess the price and quiality (and therefor the value for money) can vary from place to place.

Sue Relaxes

• maxovna's Restaurant Tip

by maxovna Written Sep 12, 2002

A very hospitable owner of one cafe invited us so passionately, that we decided to eat at this very cafe. He managed to create such a friendly atmosphere that we felt at home. We had a nice talk about cars, life in Russia, etc, and really had a good time.

Favorite Dish: I don't remember the name of the cafe where we ate our dinner, but the food was delicious - octopus and sward-fish with French fries and vegetables.

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

Café de Paris: Don't miss the local Seafood!

by pieter_jan_v Updated Jul 15, 2013

This restaurant is just a small one, but with a big terrace at the harbour waterfront.
    The waitress was real Britsh and talk the ears from my head with her amusing stories.

Favorite Dish: Local Fish

Caf�� de Paris

• edinka's Profile Photo

Cafe de Paris: Try Lampuki Here!

by edinka Updated Apr 4, 2011

Nice,moderate priced restaurant at the bay.
    You have a decent view over the Marsaxlokk Luzzus.

Favorite Dish: Lampuki - Maltese national fish food around September

Instant Answers: Marsaxlokk

Comments

Marsaxlokk Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Marsaxlokk restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Marsaxlokk sightseeing.