Mdina Restaurants

Old Priory Cafe, Mdina, Malta.
    by planxty
    Detail, Old Priory Cafe, Mdina, Malta.
    by planxty
    Detail, Old Priory Cafe, Mdina, Malta.

Most Recent Restaurants in Mdina

• planxty's Profile Photo

The Priory Cafe: A delightful little cafe in a great location.

by planxty Written Apr 19, 2013
    Old Priory Cafe, Mdina, Malta.

Like any other place that is well-touristed Mdina is not short of places to eat and they generally seem to be quite expensive even by Maltese standards which I found surprisingly to be more or less in line with London prices.

Whilst walking about Mdina, I did fancy a sit down and a nice coffee and I picked this place as it looked to be in an interesting building. Let's be honest, just about every building in Mdina is interesting but this place certainly did not disappoint as I hope the images reflect. Walking through the serving area where I was greeted in a genuinely friendly manner by both members of staff, I seated myaelf in the middle room of three and had a look round. At floor level it was a spotlessly clean and fairly modern loking restaurant complete with a plasme screen TV which was thankfuly turned off. Let your eyes travel up a little though and it is a whole different scene. There are a couple of old looking paintings on the wall. I am no art expert and they may even have been reproductions but they looked pleasant enough. Let your eyes trave on up and you will see the wonderful ceiling pictured.

This is, as the name suggests, part of the Carmelite priory and Museum and manages to combine the traditional very well with modern facilities and furniture. The waitress took my coffee order quickly and with a smile, and it was a very decent cup. Whilst waiting for it to arrive, I took the opportunity to peruse the menu, which is about standard for a Maltese cafe / restaurant. Salads, pasta and traditional Maltese "sandwiches" comprise most of it. As I mentioned, it was not cheap. A "Beef steak hache, salad and fries" (effectively burger and chips), ran to €12:75. This, however, is paying for the surroundings which are delightful.

I would not ordinarily write such a long tip about a place I merely had a coffee but I think it is worth it, as indeed is the restaurant if your pocket runs to it. If not, the coffee is not overpriced and it is a very pleasant place to enjoy it.

Favorite Dish: I only had a coffee here, as described.

• Turska's Profile Photo

Fontanella tea garden: What a view, what a cake!

by Turska Written Jun 19, 2011

We came here because of the view I had heard so much about. And the cakes everybody seems to be so exated about. And both things were true. Cakes were good and so was the view.
    I was sorry we didn´t know there is also good variety of salty snacks, now we didn´t have roomfor them in our belly ;) But the foods looked good also.

Favorite Dish: Chokolade cake was best I had had for ages! It was moist and.. delicious! My husband took mint chokolade cheese cake. It was also good, but nothing like mine!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

Fontanella Tea Garden

by HORSCHECK Updated Nov 24, 2010

Fontanella Tea Garden - My Ftira

We had a late lunch break at the Fontanella Tea Garden. Their oudoor terrace offers magnificient views of the surrounding region, that's why probably most people visit the place.

We were lucky enough to get a table right at the front of the terrace.

The menu offers a wide range of snacks from sandwiches and baguettes to pizzas and salads. Gorgeous cakes are available as well.

I opted for a Traditional Ftira, which is a special Maltese bread. I chose the toasted version with chips and salad as sides. It was quite filling, yummy and with 3,80 Euro reasonably priced. To drink I chose a local Cisk beer (1,90 Euro).

The bill has to be paid at a seperate cashier's desk at the exit of the restaurant.

• Photography

• starship's Profile Photo

Fontanella Tea Room & Beer Garden: Go for the View and the Chocolate Cake!

by starship Updated Nov 28, 2009

From igougo.com website's marif

Perhaps no visit to Mdina is complete without a visit to Fontanella's. The location alone, high up on the North Bastion wall with a view to the spectacular countryside and sea, is worth the stop. Tables with garden umbrellas, warm stone walls, climbing plants, flowers and palm trees in the courtyard and terrace create what I think would be the perfect dining venue.

One reason not to take a guided tour in many places is, obviously, the lack of independence and time constraints. So it was with us---our tour guide was excellent, but we had only a scant few minutes to do and see what we wanted and although Fontanella's is quite famous, we had no time to try its famed chocolate cake.

Favorite Dish: Fontanella's is probably one of the most well-known restaurants in Mdina and famed for its chocolate cake and specialty coffees.

Fontanella's is open daily from 10am to 10pm. Summer dinners are accompanied by piano music.

• tim07's Profile Photo

Fontanella Tea Gardens: Meal with a view

by tim07 Updated Oct 10, 2009

There are a few places to dine inside the city walls of Mdina. One of the most famous is the Fontanella Tea Gardens, a restaurant perched on the ramparts behind the cathedral. I can vouch that the views from the restaurant are spectacular. I can't vouch for the food as the place was packed when I arrived, so I didn't get to eat there.

• Balam's Profile Photo

Ciappetti: Great Food

by Balam Written Sep 22, 2009

Ciappetti

We called in to this restaurant after being given a flyer on the main street and while walking around we came across it so we went and I am very glad we did.
    Situated in one of Mdinas old town houses the Ciappetti restaurant certainly is as their slogan says 'probably the best Restaurant this side of the Island'

With its two small courtyards as well as interior seating it will suit any taste (and any weather). The traditional decor makes a great atmosphere that certainly helps you relax and enjoy your meal of if you don't want a meal then you can have a drink in the first courtyard.
    The food was lovely, we had a mixed Maltese plate and it was certainly the best that we had had while on Malta, all fresh and top quality ingredients. It’s only a pity that we were not staying a little nearer to Mdina so we could have come back and tried the rest of the great looking menu.

When the food came it looked that good that we just could not wait to get tucked in and so completely forgot to take a picture of it until we had finished.

• DennyP's Profile Photo

MDINA RESTAURANT: great coffee..

by DennyP Written Nov 3, 2008

VIEW FROM THE TABLE..

So good to sit at the top of this restaurant and look out over the countryside...so hot and dry..but the coffee and sandwiches were just fine.I only wanted a snack....there are umbrellas that you can put up if it is too hot while you eat..actually it was pleasant enough although hot ..a bit of a breeze here..

• ginte's Profile Photo

Don Mesquita: Small and very cosy pub

by ginte Updated Apr 12, 2008

That was something I enjoyed a lot! The wine bar with red window and doors in the pic is situated in the square near the 'Mdina experience audio visual spectacular'. It was quite sunny and we had some free time, so we decided to have a glass of beer inside. I was captured by the interior and the music inside. Really a nice bar worth to drop in again:)

• Roeffie's Profile Photo

Xara Palace Trattoria A.D.1530: Very nice and relaxed on a Mdina terrace!

by Roeffie Updated Feb 4, 2008
    Terrace of Xara Palace Trattoria 1530 a.d.

We had a complete lunch here on our day off at the HP LFP Convention. After a half day's Jeep safari we had this more then pleasant stop to what I would call a great dinner instead of a lunch.

Real tasty lamb, I still remember the exquisit taste of te Lime Pie.

Open daily for lunch and dinner, from 10:30 hours until 23:00 hours.

Favorite Dish: The Xara Palace,

Malta

Telephone:
    Fax: (+356) 21 452612

• joanj's Profile Photo

FONTANELLA: Food with a view

by joanj Updated Oct 30, 2007

Fontanella Restaurant

This restaurant is situated adjacent to the bastion that surrounds the Silent City. It has both a lower and upper level, with plenty of shade provided by umberellas.

If you go to the upper level, you have a fantastic view over the surrounding countryside, and as the airport is not too far away, you can see the planes on their final approach. There is no noise at all from the aircraft.

You can see from other photographs taken from where I sat, what a panoramic view there is at the upper level.

Favorite Dish: When we take the bus to Mdina in the late morning, after walking around the city, we always come here for a coffee and cake. The cakes are stupendous, I usually have the carrot cake, and this year they drizzled caramel sauce over it. Scrumptious. The Toasted cheese and ham ciabatta and hot chocolate was delicious too.

They serve sandwiches, cakes, pizza, full lunch, pots of tea and coffee. It is licenced.

• LotusV8's Profile Photo

Bacchus: The Gunpowder store

by LotusV8 Written Sep 23, 2006

The bare stonewalls of this restaurant once housed Mdinas gunpowder store but, despite a dungeon-like atmosphere, this is one of the best places for a meal in Mdina. There are tasty hors dóevres, speciality fish dishes, grills and pasta, the Grand Opera dessert will have You sing.
    The upper part has a big room wher a lot of Maltese people party after they have been married.
    At the entrance you can read some notices about celebrities that had visited Bacchus (fex The Queen of Denmark, etc...)
    The restaurant is open daily from 9-9

Favorite Dish: Favourite dish?? This is my favourite restaurant, well peppered fillet steaks, but it isnt fare, I guess that everything is top class. Bacchus has a wide ranging wine list, mostly French and Italian wines, though there is a good selection of "new world" wines. Try the Barolo

• Angelinka's Profile Photo

fontanella: dont miss the good cake

by Angelinka Updated May 31, 2005

Favorite Dish: Date cake:

Dates are not common on the maltese islands, however the locals like to use them in producing sweets. In this picture is a really delicious example, different from common chocolate cakes and absolutely delicious.

• Angelinka's Profile Photo

Fontanella: great place for resting

by Angelinka Written May 31, 2005

In the heart of Mdina, is a really unique tea garden with the name of Fontanella. This place hosts an amazing view of almost half of Malta, from where one can also sea the Mosta dome and the Portomaso tower. However, Fontanella is famous for its cakes. The selection of chocolate, dates, apple, strawberry and other cakes makes the visitor very tempted to try them…

• sandysmith's Profile Photo

Courtyard Cafes: Other Choices

by sandysmith Updated Feb 17, 2005

quiet coutyard

There are various other cafes in Mdina tucked behind doorways with quaint courtyards. We peeped into this one which looked intriguing....but couldn't manage another cake in a short space of time..not even me!
    btw inner courtyards like this feature in many houses as gardens were not permitted in the silent city.

• sandysmith's Profile Photo

Fontanella Tearooms: The only cakes to Have in Mdina

by sandysmith Updated Feb 15, 2005

sampling some of each...

Favorite Dish: Renowned for its scrummy cakes - especially chocolate :-)) and its home made pastizzis - little pastries filled with peas or cheese. - we sampled some of each. Indeed we noticed other cafes around Malta advertise cakes as Fontanella cakes ..but its great to sample them in the original location too.

Instant Answers: Mdina

Comments

Mdina Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Mdina restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Mdina sightseeing.