Paola Travel Guide

by joanj

Paola Things to Do

• BE001903's Profile Photo

by BE001903 Written Oct 25, 2010

I booked more than 4 weeks ahead of our trip to get tickets at the Hypogeum. FYI we visited in October so not even high season. When I booked the tickets already most places were booked. So be prepared! Many people tried to get in last minute but no such luck.
    I did find it worthwhile! I can't post any pictures as it is forbidden to take any pictures inside.

Women's Prison, paola, Malta

by steventilly Updated Jul 22, 2004

The old state prison now serves as Paola police station, but adjoining that is the current, more modern prison. The old prison building shown here actually bears the legend "Women's Prison" in the stonework above the door.
    This was also the site of public executions and the last one was held there in 1945.

Minarette, Paola, Malta

by steventilly Updated Jul 22, 2004

Malta's only serving mosque is in Paola, staning on Corradino Hill. There is a newly commissioned Muslim cemetary right next to it too, there having been no proper Muslim cemetary in Malta for many years until then.
    Though the minaratte of the mosque was clearly visible from the town square it was the heat of mid-afternoon by now and we couldn't find the energy to walk to the mosque to see it up close. You can see from this picture (taken from the square) that the minarette is very colourful though.

Paola Restaurants

Pastizzis in Paola

by steventilly Updated Feb 9, 2005

A staple snack food of Malta is the Pastizzi. This is like an English Pasty, a light pastry shell holding a filling of either cheese or peas.
    We'd had pastizzis many times before in other cafes around Malta and also Qassata, a bigger more crusty version, but the ones here beat them all for price and for taste.
    We bought our lunch at The Paramount and I was sure we'd been undercharged - for 4 pastizzis and 2 bottles of coke we just didn't seem to have paid enough. Anyway, the pastizzis were SO delicious (the best!) that I went back for some more and found they were only 6 Maltese cents each. That's like 9p in England, and you can't buy bubblegum for that price. Amazing value and amazingly good too. We'll be back there again.

Paramount Kiosk, Paola, Malta

by steventilly Updated Jul 22, 2004

One of the things that attracted us to Paola so much was its tree-ringed oval "square" with the art deco looking Paramount Kiosk inside it.
    These kiosks are a feature of Maltese society and provide food and drink by day and night, and at night become a focal point for friendly social gatherings (= outdoor drinking).

Favorite Dish: Pastizzis!

• Paola Hotels

0 Hotels in Paola

Paola Shopping

• Kendra_V's Profile Photo

by Kendra_V Written Jun 25, 2010

As a woman I did many window-shopping in Malta but I didnt find anything tempting to buy. as we had booking for Hypogenum and we arrived in Paola earlier, so we had time to take a little walk and there was many little shops for men and woman and actually there was many interesing clothers and with a good price!

What to buy: woman top, skirts, attractive clothes

What to pay: aprox 12,5-14,95 per piece.

Paola Sports & Outdoors

Paola Hibernians

by steventilly Updated Aug 31, 2004

The Maltese like their football and every major town has a team, many taking their names from English teams (at least the suffix part). This is Paola Hibernians, my "adopted" Maltese team, like all Maltese teams they have a "social club" right in the centre of town.

Instant Answers: Paola

Comments

Paola Travel Guide
Map of Paola