Saint Julian's Nightlife

Dick's Bar, San Giljan, Malta.
    by planxty
    Muddy Waters bar, San Giljan, Malta.
    by planxty
    Karaoke singer, San Giljan, Malta.

Most Recent Nightlife in Saint Julian's

• planxty's Profile Photo

Muddy Waters bar: Are you ready to rock?

by planxty Updated Apr 5, 2013

Muddy Waters bar, San Giljan, Malta.

It is difficult, as so often on VT, to properly define this place. It is a great little bar that only opens at night, at least in the off-season, and occasionally has live music, mostly on a Friday night. I personally did not see any of the bands here but I had the great privelege of being here a couple of late nights when they play rock music at ear-splitting volume until well into the small hours, I love it.

The excellently named Muddy Waters was on my late night walk home from the centre of San Giljan (St. Julian's) and I did drop in there quite a few times. There is a really good atmosphere in here and even a relatively old man like myself was greeted warmly and engaged in conversation by the almost exclusively young crowd - delightful people. I did call to mind the old Jethro Tull song, "Too old to rock 'n' roll and too young to die"!

There is a decent selection of drinks although I steered clear of some of the more lunatic drinking games going on. I did not see any food on offer, I suspect it is not that kind of place.

The musical policy is entirely rock, although tending towards old 70's / 80's standards with a few more modern numbers thrown in. It appears that the very friendly barmen take it in turns to man the decks and they do a good job of it. They are more than happy to take requests. I don't know what this place would be like in high season but in the low season it is a great place to hang out late at night if you like that genre of music and enjoy meeting very pleasant young Maltese night owls. I had some great nights in there.

I did hear a local rumour that this building is scheduled for redevelopment and I do hope this is not the case, it is a great place.

You will, I hope, forgive the photo, it was obviously taken in the day when the place was not open!

Dress Code: Casual. Rock T-shirts would be appreciated!

• planxty's Profile Photo

Dick's Bar.: Bring your singing voice.

by planxty Written Mar 26, 2013

Karaoke night, Dick's Bar, San Giljan, Malta.

I have written elsewhere on my pages about Dick's Bar / eating house in San Giljan which turned out to be one of my favourite places on Malta. This is very mush a football (soccer) bar and crowds of people come to watch English, Italian, Spanish, German or whatever else teams, it just depends who is playing that night.

However, on some weekend nights off-season Dick and Marco put on a karaoke night which is great fun. I believe this increases during the summer season. The man running the thing is a delightful bloke slightly improbably called DJ Fuzz and he is pictured here. Karaoke really isn't my thing but I must say he does a rather good show and knows how to work a crowd. If you fancy giving your vocal chords an outing, this may well be for you.

• planxty's Profile Photo

Memories Bar.: So you think you can sing?

by planxty Written Mar 26, 2013

Karaoke singer, San Giljan, Malta.

San Giljan (St. Julian) is a very tourist place with nightlife centred round "Bar Street" or "Pub Street" as it is locally known. Music policy here is mostly of the pounding modern dance music at huge volume type which is not really my thing but younger readers may appreciate. Well, if it is not your thing and you think you can do better, for a little something different why not try your hand at karaoke which seems popular on the island? Many places will have karaoke on a weekend night but in Memories bar you can indulge your passion for Frank Sinatra impersonation all night every night.

I visited Malta in February and March which is extremely off-season and even then there were people crooning the evening away. I wasn't actually looking for a karaoke bar, it just looked like a decent bar but it soon became obvious what was going on. In the way of these things and few other takers, I was persuaded to give a number or two. When nobody is singing, the DJ / karaoke man plays reasonably music and is happy to take requests. Even if you don't fancy exercising your vocal chords, it is a decent and friendly place for a drink.

It is open 0900 - 0400 daily except Sunday when it is 1800 - 0400

Dress Code: Smart casual.

The Dubliner: Irish bar

by Turska Written Jun 5, 2011

Quite typical Irish bar. They had Guinness (one reason to go for us..) and the place looked nice, homely.. (We are not Irish, I didn´t mean that way)
    We might have stayed longer, but like in many places, in here it was also the football playing at big screen. I´m sure it´s a good thing for many people, but not for us..
    Could have stayed later if there wouldn´t have been a game on.

Dress Code: What ever :)

• Turska's Profile Photo

Huggins & Friends: Real pub between party-animals ;)

by Turska Written Jun 5, 2011

This was the place we went allmost every night for one beer or drink. The music was not so loud and even if there was football at tv, you could speak without shouting and hear your friend ;) It was impossible to find place without football, so it was good if you find some with music playing during the came, and not only tv shouting out loud. One night the music was turned off, I guess it was some more important game then, but luckily we came just before it ended.
    They had reasonable priced special beers and some little better drinks not too expensive. With better drinks I mean something else than vodka redbull.. My husband was happy to have GT (Gin and tonic) with around 2 euros!! Maybe not as strong as in Finland, but we don´t drink just to get drank (anymore, getting too old for that ;) ) so who cares.
    They also have some foods, but we didn´t try it.

Dress Code: What ever you like!

• Turska's Profile Photo

Paceville party-street: Cheap drinks and "MTV-music"

by Turska Written Jun 5, 2011

None of my maps cave a name to this street. When you come fromTriq san Gorg (where most people come from St. Julians buses) and you see Burger King, you will also see the street with lots of neon lights and loud music. If you like that short of music, and want to get drunk cheap, this is your place. But since we hate this music, and we arther have the best possible beer, than cheapest possible beer, and couldn´t even think of drinking a 1 litre jug full of vodka and mixer (witch was 14e cheapest!!!) this was like hell for us. We just walked fast through, when we went to Baysteet shopping centre coupple of times to eat.
    There was also some "Gentlemens clubs" as they say. In our mind those men really aren´t gentlemen going there.. ;)

Dress Code: Everything sparkly, tiny and "posh".. We didn´t actually fit in at all :D

Coconut Groove: Good rock at saturday

by Turska Written Jun 5, 2011

This was only place I found at internet by google, when I tried "hard rock Malta, heavy music Malta, rock Malta". We went there at saturday night. It was quite quiet first, but then it came alive. At upper floor the music was hevier. First we sat there, but it felt that we knew none of the bands witch the DJ was playing. Might be that those were local bands. Some songs from Metallica, Ramstein or similar, but mostly only strange ones. But when the night got older, the music got better at downstairs, and it was lots of hard rock and heavy from Bon Jovi to Iron Maiden and even some Finnish bands ;) Nothing too heavy (I don´t care about trash metal, or anything so speedy, where you don´t understand a word of the singing..)
    We liked this place a lot, but when we came back at sunday and moday, it was huge disapoitnment! They were playing music like Rod Steward, Toto, Beatles.. Nothing like at saturday. And the place was also empty.. No wonder! The people who like their music at friday and saturday will not go there if they play this kind of music (even if it´s better than todays MTV-musiv of course) and people who want "party party-music" wouldn´t go anyway, so we didn´t quite understand why they changed the style so much!

Dress Code: At saturday most people wear black or dark clothes, but there was also peope with jeans and t-shirts, so I quess it doesn´t matter what you wear ;)

• Elly01's Profile Photo

Memories Pub - Karoke night: Memories Pub

by Elly01 Written Dec 3, 2008

This place is really nice especially if you wish to spend some fun nights with your friends . Here one can have a drink and enjoy Karoke .

You cannot smoke inside obvsiouly but he has chairs outside where you can smoke !

Dress Code: casual

• Elly01's Profile Photo

The Alley: The Alley

by Elly01 Updated Dec 3, 2008

The Alley

This is one of my favorite places even though it tends to get crowdy at times as the Alley has always been the bar most visited I guess. Sort of, you cannot come to Paceville and miss out from the Alley - its the place where everyone meets I guess that's why.

The bar consists of 4 bars and a small dance floor. The music played is mostly rock however in these last few years they started playing Commercial music as well.

This place closed down now !! Great memories though !!!

Dress Code: Casual

• Coconut Grove: Rock and Metal in Malta

by ratbag1 Written Sep 27, 2007

We was after a rock or metal bar in Malta and we found the Coconut Grove by chance, it sells cocktails from Sunday to Thursday for Buy 1 get 1 free but has to be the same cocktail, my boyfriend ordered a cocktail called Darth Vader of all things it included vodak, rum, gin. triple sec, lemon juice, tequilla and jaquermister and whatever you do, dont mix it with the stirrer as its not a pleasant taste afterwards. Another nice one was Long Island Iced Tea with either lime or lemon.

Upstairs is the Remedy Bar and Pool hall.

Great little bar which has outdoor seats where you can people watch.

They play all sorts of music from Guns and Roses, Metallica, Linkin Park, Korn and so forth anyone looking for dance and r and b youre come to the wrong place.

Dress Code: Theres no dress code for this place

• Singles

• Paceville area - nightlife area: Only one spot in whole Malta

by stewartbel Written Apr 30, 2007
    Paceville

Paceville is a nightlife area only one km away from Radisson SAS hotel (where i stayed), also that much close to other luxury hotels in St Julians (Intercontinental, Hilton...)

There are many cool clubs with various music here - Hawaii bar, Vodka bar, Plush, Hard rock cafe...

7 rooms: Fantastic atmosphere

by glamourprincess Written Aug 29, 2006

Difficult to take a decent picture

This bar/club has a large outdoor area with large white paper-lamps, small wooden huts with white cushions, a cool bar and it also has less interesting indoor area with a small dancefloor (which was totally empty) and a bar. Everyone's outside, sitting near the bar or hanging in the small bungalow-like huts. The atmosphere a mixture of a tropical island and an arabic harem. The place was packed with all kinds of people, most of them were older than 18 (thank God - as I'm 24!). There was a really sweet smell..probably due to the many waterpipes placed on almost every table. The music was a mix of commercial r&b and reggeaton. Crowded place..get here early!

Dress Code: Regular.. wear shirt

• glamourprincess's Profile Photo

Places: Underground house and techno, and cheap drinks!

by glamourprincess Updated Aug 29, 2006

Places was somehow a different bar/club we went to when we stayed in St.Julian's. It's situated on the first floor/lower level on a building in Paceville. It had three different rooms, and managed to play two different types of music at the same time. It was more underground than other places we visist. I recognized a track by Booka Shade (a fantastic deep house duo) while enjoying a very reasonable priced beer, a budweiser priced 1 LM! Just make sure to be there before 12:30 to enjoy their fantastic offer: all drinks 1 LM. I guess the guests thought we were a bit strange to hang around at Places (which by the way had a rather old and worn interior, a bit like an old pub, it even had a fireplace. There were also some security issues that were questionable.. The crowd was alternative as well, nothing glam or dressed-up. But it's the kind of place I like.. even though we felt a bit out of place. Apparently Places is one of the trendiest spots in Paceville! DJ Ruby is residence at Places on Fridays and Saturdays, and he's great!

Dress Code: None

Plush: Escape the 16 year olds in this cool bar

Inside Plush

Plush is a combined cafe/bar/shop in the middle of Paceville. Most of Paceville is focused on attracting the younger generation, 16-18 year olds, Plush is a bar that is mainly dominated by older people (at least they looked more mature..in their twenties). The bar is large with a small terrace, dark colors, goth-looking chandeliers, soft carpet, a bar that changes colors and chairs and pillows in..plush! We went there on a Friday night and the guests were mostly Italians and locals. Guys dressed in jeans and shirts, and girls in high heels and short skirts and lots of accessories. There is no dancefloor, but the music was really funky; commercial house music, so some people were dancing around tables and chairs. The DJ was unfortunately not very skilled and had huge problems with creating smooth transitions. They have a large selection of wines and drinks, prices are though, quite high. We paid 2.50 LM for a drink that was..okay. I'd rather pay more for a great drink. I had a mojito, and being the mojito-lover I am - I know a GOOD mojito, and the one I got at Plush, well something was wrong! I scrutinized the drink and found.. a leaf from a Coriander plant! Who puts coriander in a Mojito? It's supposed to be mint. Only mint. Oh well, I still enjoyed hanging at Plush though, but I miss a dancefloor!

Dress Code: Just copy the Maltese/Italian style: jeans/cool shirt.. dress/skirt/top/accessories for girls

• Singles
    • Women's Travel

Axis: Biggest club in Malta

by glamourprincess Written Aug 29, 2006

Axis has room for 2000-3000 people and is located in the middle of Pacecille, St.Julian's. It is a huge gray-silver and orange-colored building and is very popular, especially among the younger generation, e.g. language school students. Axis has a 16 year old age limit. Mainly house/trance/techno/dance-music. We went there a friday in August and it takes a lot of people to make this palce look crowded so even though the place had a couple of hundred or more guests it looked very empty and we left early. You have to pay a few LM to get inside as well, but you can get a discount by taking the flyers from people in the barstreet, 50 cents off or something.

Dress Code: None that I know off, but keep your shirt on!

Instant Answers: Saint Julian's

Comments

Saint Julian's Nightlife

Reviews and photos of Saint Julian's nightlife posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Saint Julian's sightseeing.

View all Saint Julian's hotels