Saint Julian's Restaurants

Food, Dick's Bar, St. Julians, Malta.

Most Recent Restaurants in Saint Julian's

• planxty's Profile Photo

Margo's pizzeria.: How much for a pizza?

by planxty Updated May 19, 2013

Margo's Pizzeria, St. Julian, Malta.

I very rarely would write a review about a place I had never been as I generally find it to be unfair but I am going to make an exception here. As I have mentioned in many other restaurant reviews here on VT, I am a great believer in local knowledge and this is indeed the reason for my not visiting. Allow me to explain.

As I mentioned in another tip, I spent a lot of time in the excellent Dick's Bar which is actually underneath the place I refer to here. If you look at one of the images I have reproduced here they state very modestly that "Some say Margo's is the best pizza in the world". This will become relevant later on. In fact, they had this banner up before the place was even open. Some of the staff who were preparing the place for opening used to come into Dick's for lunch. I was actually in the town the night it opened and had considered going there to check it out.

I did have a look at the menu and the house speciality is a pizza called "The not so poor man's pizza" which is priced from €1800! Yes, I have checked my typing and you have read it correctly, €1800, which equates to about $2,000US. So what do you get for this obscene amount of money? Gold leaf, white truffle etc. as you would expect. Obviously, this is merely an a marketing ruse and the "normal" pizzas run from about €10 each but here is the problem. The "Poor Man's pizza" runs to €70 with the beer and the truffles extra. A little rich for my taste.

A Maltese friend of mine, himself a professional cook, had attended with his wife to try out the new place in town and was hugely disappointed. Another two expat acquaintances both had similarly poor things to say. To cap it all and within two weeks of opening, the place was absolutely slated by the restaurant critic of one of the more respected local newspapers. Most of the criticism was directed at the appalingly slow and surly service although the food was fairly well castigated as well. another comp.,laint was that the place refuses to accept credit or debit cards, despite being in one of the more touristy areas of the island. Who is going to order a €2000 plus pizza and pay cash. Still, if you have that kind of money, you probably have a bodyguard to carry it for you. I have included an image of the review here. Having heard not one but four very negative reports I decided that I wouldn't bother with Margo's.

If you don't believe how pretentious this place is, have a look at this completely overblown quote from their website, "Margo is a dream, fantasy. Margo is whoever you want it to be. Margo is like God. No one has seen God, but we all have our own interpretation on the concept.

Margo is someone beautiful. Just for you. She, he, it, might not be the most amazing being to the world but they are the most amazing to you." Margo is like God? Enough said, I feel.

Favorite Dish: As stated, I didn't eat there so do not have a favourite.

• Beer Tasting

• planxty's Profile Photo

Dick's Bar: Good cheap grub.

by planxty Written Feb 25, 2013

Dick's Bar, St. Julians, Malta.

I am in the unlikely position of writing this tip in the place I am writing it about which is a thing that certainly would not have happened when I started on VT but is becoming more common as I travel with my netbook and wifi acess is becoming ever more available. However, one perennial VT problem has not, as yet, been solved and that is where to categorise this place. Is it a restaurant - yes. Nightspot - on occasion. Thing to do - absolutely if you want to meet locals in a friendly atmosphere. I suspect it will be featured in several categories.

As this is the restaurant category, I shall obviously concentrate on that here. I have found eating out in Malta to be a not inexpensive pastime and prices are certainly comparable with UK which is regarded as being expensive. I know Malta, some years ago, was regarded as a good value holiday destination but their accession into the EU and adoption of the € has seen to that as it has in so many places. With this in mind, Dick's offers a good selection of local and "British" dishes but in truth, much of the Maltese cuisine is British orientated because of the long period when the British administered the islands. Does roast chicken and chips count as local or British? I have no idea.

I have eaten here several times and have always been very pleased with the food and the service. There is the usual tourist fare like burgers, sausage, egg and chips, "full English breakfast" etc. but there are also local dishes like roz al forno (a baked rice dish), timpana (a baked pasta dish) and various filled local rolls (ftira) which are similar to foccacia bread. These you can have as they are or toasted and tuna capers and olives is a favourite local combination.

First, a note about the image attached here. You will see a monstrous sign boasting about the best pizza in the world (it isn't even the best pizza in St. Julian apparently) but this refers to Margo's newly opened restaurant on the upper floors which will feature in a warnings and dangers tip. Dick's Bar is the downstairs portion of the building, run by Richard (junior) and Marco, the sons of the original and eponymous owner Richard (Dick) senior.

The decor is just that of a typical Maltese bar / restaurant and is usually full of a good mix of locals and travellers / expats. The atmosphere can get a bit lively, especially when the football is on, which seems to be most nights, it is on as I write. Probably not the place to to take your loved one for a romantic meal. The food, however, is excellent with many of the dishes being home-made by Richard on the premises. His speciality, of which he is justifiably proud, are his savoury pies (steak and onion, steak and kidney and chicken and mushroom) which really are amongst the best I have tasted. The steak and kidney is my favourite. He also makes a deep dish apple pie which I have yet to try but others have raved about.

Sometimes, there will be something sitting in the chiller which is not on the menu. For example, last night I feasted on beatufully slow-cooked Maltese beef which was literally falling to pieces and absolutely gorgeous. The guys here do not stick slavishly to the menu, you just basically ask for anything you fancy and they'll knock it up for you. Actually, half times you would not even need to order food here as thegenerous free bar snacks they provde like chips (fries), toasted Maltese anchovy and olive oil bread, Maltese sausage etc. would nearly fill you up.

There is a good selection of both local and imported drinks and bottles of local wine from €6. If you don't want alcohol, the coffess is excellent.

Certainly it is not haute cuisine, it is not meant to be but I do, however, recommend you try at least one meal here, you won't be disappointed.

Favorite Dish: A difficult choice as the beef was so good but I think I would have to plump for the homemade steak and kidney pie with chips. Proper pub grub.

• Beer Tasting

• PokerDood's Profile Photo

Bad Ass Burgers: Really Bad Ass!

by PokerDood Written Jun 23, 2012

This place rocks! The food is good, the drinks are good, the people who run it are good, the location is good. It's very good.

Favorite Dish: All of them are good. Just the thing before a long night at the poker tables at Casino Portomaso

• Pagoda Restaurant: Excellent Service

by Clayton12 Written Mar 18, 2012

Nice, relaxing & romantic atmosphere, The service given by the staff is extremely excellent. Staff is very friendly and welcoming, they are very helpful. The food was very good and appetizing. For sure will recommend this restaurant.

• Pagoda: Good set meal

by gatrada Written Feb 10, 2012

Good food - especially the set menu. For 17.99 you got a 5 course meal that was huge - crispy duck with pancakes, followed by appetisers, then sweet corn soup, followed by main course of three items plus rice, and finally lychees. They have a buffet too, but it maybe on weekends. Near to where all the activitiy is as well. Check it out.

• Pagoda Restaurant Malta, St. Julians: Best Chinese Food Ever Tasted!

by MarkZammit Written Feb 8, 2012

Personally my experience at the Pagoda restaurant was amazing! The service was great and so was the food. I particularly enjoyed the sweet and sour chicken and the sushi :) mmmm
    It's central location made it very convenient for me as I was in the mood for some night life after. The prices were very fair and the portions were abundant. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone in the mood for some tasty Chinese and a great atmosphere!!!

• Pagoda Restaurant: Response to Marty Skyler's Review

by dgrech Written Sep 26, 2011

Dear Marty Skyler,

Having read your review, I would like to clarify a few of your points. First of all you shared a menu for 1 person between two, and your total bill came to 21.75euros (including a large bottle of water), not as you stated 25euros. I did apologize about the misunderstanding regarding the dessert, as I had a new waitress and when she asked you for the dessert, she was under the impression that you took another set menu. It amazes me that you noticed that the starters on that menu were in plural, but you did not notice that there was no dessert included. Having said all this, thank you for complementing our good food.

As our main interest is customer satisfaction, I invite you for a complementary meal.

• Pagoda restaurant in Sant Julian, Malta: Worst experience in Malta. Avoid it

by marty.skyler Written Sep 25, 2011

The food was so scarce that it made the menu a cheat. It said springrolls, ribs and wings when they served just a small SINGLE springroll, rib and wing.
    The food was good, but the service was slow.
    The final insult came when, after waiting for half an hour for the dessert and after being told several times that it was about to be served, they said that we had no right of dessert.
    After a polite argument with the owner, he laughed at our faces saying that the problem was that his english (wich was perfect) was not too good to distinguish between plurals and singulars.
    All this circus cost us 25 euros for a single menu.
    As I said, worst experience in Malta in our third day on the island.
    Don't go under any circunstance, that my recommendatio

• Turska's Profile Photo

Peppi´s: Most expensive fries we´ve had

by Turska Written Jun 5, 2011

The view was the reason for us to come here. It should ring a bell in your head but..
    We ordered two PINTS of Guinness and French fries. See the photo. The beer wasn´t a pint (it was at tap beers list!) and the fries were expensive but very small! My husband thinks this all was 16e. Could be, or at least close to it, because it was so odd that we laughed how much can about 10 to 15 fries and 2 can beers pay! In Finland it would be normal, but In Malta we had good meal at 24e (with gas water, not wine) for both, so..
    I don´t know if the real food was worth the price, we didn´t hear peoples comments.

Favorite Dish: I guess my favourite "dish" was the view from the terrace :)

Estilo: Best food we had in Malta

by Turska Written Jun 5, 2011

We ate here twice. The food was very good at both times. At first time we asked a table outside, but when I felt cold, we asked can we go in. Waither said no! That was odd, same time other waither said yes to some other coupple for the same question. Next time we went straight in, even if I like to eat out, but it wasn´t so warm yet, and the gas warmers seemed to be only with big tables.
    The food was very good both times, and so was the local wine also. And it was not expensiev at all. When we ate inside the tables looked little cheaper, but the food was as good, and we had friendlier waither.
    They have many kinds of food.
    By the way: They are open 24 hours!! And have free delivery! Unbeliveable-expesially for this good food.

Favorite Dish: I had chicken in white wine sauce (with hint of cream-quite a big hint by the way..) at first time and some kind of garlic, chili and cream spaghetti next time. Can´t say witch was better, both were so good !

• Turska's Profile Photo

Cafe Puccino ( Restarant Fluid): Delicious cake!

by Turska Written Jun 5, 2011

At our last day at Malta, we thought we could have another time a piece of cake before we left. We were at Baystreet complex trying to find some souvenir for our god child, and went to cafe Puccino at top floor next to pizzeria Mozzarellas.
    I took chocolade cake and my husband took some kind of chokolade and mint cake, and they both were SO delicious! And they had good selection of different coffees also (for me, non coffee-drinker also-I got my latte macchiato). Cake was just the right size, couldn´t eat a bit more, but nice to not have too small either. In Finland you might pay 7e for a cake that fits in 3 to 4 spoonfulls :D
    We looked at their restaurant menu also, and it really looked good. Sadly we had ended up to Mozzarella´s next door last night... It was our last day, so we didn´t get to taste their food anymore.

Favorite Dish: Chocolade cake!!!

Hard rock cafe: American food

by Turska Updated Jun 5, 2011

You often see American VT:ers saying, that "Don´t go there, you can go there at home". Just remember: Many of us aren´t American, and for example: There is no Hard rock cafe in Finland. I´´m not sure is there anywhere near even. And things like potato skins are "somethin different" for us, not something typical. If there´s an American restaurant in Finland, it means only hamburgers usually.
    American food feels quite heavy for us, but it´s fun to have it sometimes. So I don´t understand what´s so wrong about going to Hard rock cafe! And we loved the fact, that there was no football playing on tv! Even though the music mostly wasn´t hard rock, but it wasn´t too loud for us. (maybe for some older people it might be?)
    The waithress happened to be a fan of Finland, and came ask if we were Finns (we both have black hair and don´t look like typical Finn-if you ask many southern people) because we look so much like Finns! It was a surprice, but she said she has been in Finland twice, so she lknew how Finns truly look ;) Not all are blond!

Favorite Dish: Potato skins! We just love them! Haven´t have them anywhere in Finland. Pasta with three cheese and chicken was also good. And those small "bite size" desserts are great idea!! It´s enough for a sweet thing after this big meal!

The price per person is food, appertizers, small desserts and wine, it still was 36e per both of us!!!! Cheap if you ask from a Finn..

• Turska's Profile Photo

Mozzarella´s: Why so popular?

by Turska Updated Jun 5, 2011

We like pizza, and we had seen many good reviews of Mozzarella´s so we went here. Shouldn´t have gone. If it would have been cheap, then we would have been more satisfied, but it was little more expenisve than the other places, and even though there was nothing wrong with the pizza, there was nothing special in it either. We can have better from take away-places back home. The place looked something like a fats food restaurant, not cosy at all, and even if there were only hree tables of people who all we trying to talk to each other, and none of them watched the game, the football was at big screen so loud, that it was hard to discus. I really wont recommend this to anyone. I ´m sure you will get better food, even pizza at much more cosier and friendlier place and much cheaper. I don´t think it was very expensive, but we saw much cheaper better looking pizzas at other places.

Favorite Dish: Local wine maybe?

• DSwede's Profile Photo

Blue Elephant: Semi-elegant Thai food

by DSwede Updated May 6, 2011

As would be expected by dining at one of the higher quality hotels in a resort destination, the restaurants are good and possibly over the top. But the food is delicious and the experience is worth the effort. Granted, an evening like this does come with a cost. It is one of the more expensive restaurants around, yielding a bill of about 30Eur/pp.

The restaurant simulates the outdoors, with lots of tall plants, trickling water in pools and even a small waterfall. The dining areas are separated into several small deck/patios which cuts down the noise and gives a better sense of privacy. Dinner is from 7pm ~ 11pm.

Favorite Dish: The cocktails are good and strong, but a bit expensive relative to the other bars. As for the food, you cannot go wrong with the curries. The rabbit curry was a flavorful mix of local and Thai.

• STEFZAMM's Profile Photo

Raffaele Restaurant: Don't Miss The Fresh Seafood in a Romantic Setting

by STEFZAMM Written Jan 10, 2011

This restaurant is situated on Spinola Bay. It has more outdoor seating capacity than indoor and when the weather permits anyone will choose outdoor to indoor. The setting is one of a kind with the old buildings and the little fishing boats.

Raffaele is open all day for lunch, late lunch and dinner and they offer a variety of pasta, pizza, local dishes and fresh seafood.

Favorite Dish: My favourite dish is fresh fish of the day with salad and jacket patatoe.

• Work Abroad

Instant Answers: Saint Julian's

Comments

Saint Julian's Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Saint Julian's restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Saint Julian's sightseeing.

View all Saint Julian's hotels