Caffe Cordina, Valletta

by alyf1961
    by Gili_S
  • Cafe Cordina: Pleasant food, service varies widely

by afeeney Written Feb 19, 2013

The restaurant is conveniently located on Republic Street and is handy for a snack or meal. The desserts are rich and tempting although the meals I had there didn't stand out as good or bad. Coffee is also decent but not great, but don't order tea--like too many restaurants, they bring out hot water and a teabag, so you get vaguely tea-flavored water rather than tea brewed with just boiling water.

Some of the staff are almost hostile. For example, the third time I came by and asked to see a menu to see if they had a particular dessert I'd heard about, the woman at the front grunted and told me to get one from a table. Problem was, all the tables were full and I didn't quite feel like snatching one out of somebody's hand, so instead, I just left and did not come back. On the other hand, one of the waiters, Mario, was very pleasant.

If you go, do check out the ceiling murals and the crazy but beautifully executed chandelier near the door.

Favorite Dish: Maltese bread pudding, which is more like a UK OR US fruitcake. But wait, it's actually good, not the over-preserved and yucky stuff with a 20-year shelf life.

• Archeology
    • Architecture

• alyf1961's Profile Photo

CORDINIA: AN ELEGANT SETTING

by alyf1961 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Cafe Cordinia is a charming restaurant on the main street in Valletta.
    There are tables inside as well as a take away service and outside seating.
    The service was quick and efficient even though they were quite busy.
    The prices were slightly higher than other cafe’s in the area.
    Caffe latte 2.80
    Hot chocolate 2.45
    Cream horn 2.75

Favorite Dish: The cream horn was delicious.

• CAFFE CORDINA, Valletta/Malta: Poochu's tip - setting the record straight

by johncordina Updated Apr 4, 2011

Caffe Cordina reassures everybody that the allegations made by "Poochu" in his/her post are completely unfounded and untrue. The alleged incidents never occurred. If they did, the matter would have been made public by the health authorities, investigated and acted upon. We at CAFFE CORDINA always encourage constructive criticism since we regard this as being greatly beneficial but, having said that, it is equally important that we draw a line and act upon those comments which are based on untrue events, and are defamatory in nature - thus clearly intended to damage the solid reputation which CAFFE CORDINA has earned over the years. It is one thing to offer criticism/suggestions for improvement, but quite another thing to fabricate untrue stories and present them as facts.
    John Cordina - Proprietor of CAFFE CORDINA

• CAFFE CORDINA, Valletta/Malta: Tip of Oana-bic / setting the record straight

by johncordina Updated Apr 4, 2011

Oana-bic claims to have had "the worst pizza ever had in Malta" at CAFFE CORDINA.
    This - with all due respect - is nonsense, since CAFFE CORDINA never had and does not offer
    pizzas on its menu. Therefore, Oana-bic can hardly have been served "the worst pizza" ever in Malta at CAFFE CORDINA. He/she must have mistaken CAFFE CORDINA with someone else!
    We kindly ask him/her to be more carefull when publishing comments about restaurants (or anybody else for this matter), and to make sure that such mistakes are avoided in future. Thank you!
    John Cordina - Proprietor of CAFFE CORDINA

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

Caffe Cordina: good food in a great location

by call_me_rhia Written Jun 14, 2010

Caffè Cordina is a bar/coffeehouse/restaurant that was established in 1837... msot of it, today, is outdoor in a large square off Parliament Street. Good for people watching - and the food is not too bad, either.

Favorite Dish: We had a selection of cold Maltese dishes... with salad, fresh tomatoes and sundried tomatoes. I remember that there was a strange sausage, something with lentils and a few pieces of cheese: excellent cheese, quite tasty/spicy, possibly goat cheese.... I loved it!

• Terrible Choice!!!!!!!!!!!: Food Poisoning!!!!!

by poochu Written Dec 22, 2009

I and my group all ate different things there on the same occasion and 3 out of 5 of us had severe food poisioning!!! I ended up in hospital for 6 days!!!
    When I approached the restuarant to complain, they told me simply that it was not their concern and rudly told me that not to eat there again. One of the managers told me that these things happen from time to time there and it my problem not their's. Futhermore they offended me and my wife and called us stupid and over sensitive.
    Suprisingly I spoke to some of my friends afterwards and most had heard similar stories about the same establishment.
    I highly advise anyone reading NOT TO EAT THERE!

Favorite Dish: None

• Luxury Travel

• Gili_S's Profile Photo

Caffe Cordina: Since 1873

by Gili_S Written Dec 6, 2006

This probably the oldest cafe in this place. A classic one where you can have great coffee as well as great choices of the local cakes, pies and ice cream.

Favorite Dish: First was local pastizzi and then was some ice cream.

Coffee  & Pastizzi

• morgenhund's Profile Photo

Caffe Cordina: Come here for a coffee

by morgenhund Written May 18, 2006

Coming from Vienna, a trip to a cake shop would seem a bit like coals to Newcastle. However, it has a good selection of Maltese cakes - especially recommended if you enjoy almonds and in particular marzipan. There is a large terrace on the other side of the street and a coffee and cake comes to around Lm1.50 (about EUR 3.50).

Favorite Dish: I would recommend the apple pie with almonds.

Caffe Cordina

• SpagBoll's Profile Photo

Caffe Cordina: A must see in Valletta

by SpagBoll Updated Oct 25, 2004

Cordina's is an institution that many others have written about. We had some pleasant lunches here while sipping a cold Cisk and watching the world go by Republik St

Favorite Dish: If you sit outside - as most tend to in the Summer - don't miss a look of the interior of Cordina's. The paintings on the ceiling are a must see.

• chrissyalex's Profile Photo

CAFFE CORDINA This is probably...

by chrissyalex Written Aug 25, 2002

CAFFE CORDINA This is probably one of Valletta's most famous cafes. Inside there is a coffee bar,indoor seating and display cases full of delectable pastries and sweets. There are also tables outside in the square and it is a great place for people watching.

Favorite Dish: I just had a quick espresso at the coffee bar, but those pastries in the display case sure tempted me!!! :-)

• Oana_bic's Profile Photo

Caffe Cordina: Nice spot bad service

by Oana_bic Written May 4, 2005

Thats a nice spot for but the pizza was the worse that I tried in Malta. So stick with coffees, orange juice or local wines. As the the staff was really long and not very freiendy.

• sandysmith's Profile Photo

Caffe Cordina: Cakes Cakes and more Cakes

by sandysmith Written Feb 13, 2005

Great cakes Great surroundings in the centre of Valletta on Republic street. Eat in or take-away

Favorite Dish: Any gooey chocolate cake will do.
    Pastries and pies also available

Cafe Cordina

• erikute3534's Profile Photo

Cafés, burger bars and a few...

by erikute3534 Written Aug 25, 2002

Cafés, burger bars and a few good restaurants.
    Our favorite coffe shop in Valletta is Cafe Cordina - we like to sit outside in the square, have a small snack and coffe and watch the people walking.

Instant Answers: Valletta

Comments

Hotels Near Caffe Cordina
4.0 out of 5 stars