One of the most beautiful works of the old church is the apse representing the Adoration of the "Lamb" according to St John's Apocalypse.The main paintings is attributed to Mattia Preti or to one of his students, while the two lateral paintings were made by the Maltese artist Francesco Zahra and represents the announcement of the Birth of St John...more
A short time before the Rotunda was completed, the old church was carefully dismantled, and the best parts of it were delicately rebuilt next to the church. The initial idea was to demolish the old church so that the people could use the new Rotunda. But these fantastic works of art couldn't be lost.The museum gives everyone the occasion to...more
Each of the side chapels of the Rotunda is decorated with beautiful paintings made by Chev. Paul Camilleri Cauchi. Among these paintings we can count: The Vision of Zachariah, The Birth of St John, St John Preaching "Behold the Lamb of God" or The beheading of St John.more
Located on the left side of the church, looking the Main Altar, the Altar of the Blessed Sacrament is dating from the 17th century.Its main attraction is the tabernacle, which once belonged to Mdina Cathedral and was donated to the church by the Bishop M.G. Molina on the erection of the parish in 1678.more
As in the case of the homonym Rotunda of Mosta, the impressive dome is the one that is giving the name of the church – the Rotunda.The internal diameter of the dome is 24.5m, while the external one is of 27m, which a height of 75m from the church floor.The dome is supported by eight columns 13.5m high and has a total weight of 45,000 tones.more
The statue of Xewkija's Patron Saint was made in mulberry wood by the Maltese sculptor Paul Azzopardi of Cospicua in 1845. As in most of Malta's town, with the occasion of Xewkija's feast, the statue is brought on shoulders around the streets of the village in the procession usually held on the third Sunday of June.more
Once you enter the Rotunda you cannot stop being amazed about its beauty. Made of honey-colored Malta limestone, inside the Rotunda is 64m long and 43m wide.The fantastic dome with an outer circumference of 85m is supported by 8 columns, while the church has 16 large windows in the lower section and another 16 in the lantern.The Main Altar is...more
Getting closer to Xewkija from Mgarr Harbor, a wonderful view of the church was displayed to our eyes.The enormous circular structure in white local limestone, it is called Rotunda because of its form.The facade resembles to the famous Basilica of Santa Maria Della Salute in Venice, which inspired its architect, Joseph D'Amato. Four columns and...more
For the works to the new church many donations were offered, and free labor by the people was forthcoming all the time. Eight persons offered LM 500- each for the eight columns, which support the dome.Together with the local priests, the Archpriest Joseph Grech made door-to-door collections every week since 1952.Two fairs were held annually and...more
With the growth of Xewkija's population, the need for a new, larger church was felt.The works to the foundations of the new church started at the end of 1951, but the old church of St. John was left in place and continued to function as before until the new building was completed.After twenty years of hard work the new monumental church was ready.A...more
Xewkija is located half way from Mgarr Harbour to the capital of Victoria and is easily reachable by bus from both places.
From Victoria Terminus, the buses no. 42 and 43 are covering the route.
The entrance to the modern sacristy is located on the right side of the Main Altar.
Its item of interest is the collection of the portraits of most of the parish priests since 1678 when the village became parish.
1 Reviews and Opinions