Safety Tips in Moldova

Karl Marx Street
    by pure1942
    Lenin Street
    by pure1942
    They want to be a part of Russia
    by A-Friend-Of-Belarus

Most Viewed Warnings and Dangers in Moldova

• Crossing through Transnistria. How to avoid bribes

by otilias Updated Aug 1, 2010

Hi!

About two years ago I crossed Transnistria through Bender together with an American friend (I am Moldova). We were on the train going to Kiev and the conductor told me that the Transnistrian border patrol were going to give us trouble because of my American friend and that they would expect us to give them bribes. however, the conductor also told us to not get off the train, no matter what, just stay in the train even if they take our passports away, because no matter what, they don't have the right to stop the train because of two passengers. And so we did. The russian-speaking Transnistrian officer told us that our papers weren't enough and that we had to get off the train (the hint was that he could solve our problems really quickly in exchange for some cash). I played stupid, pretending I didn't understand what he was telling me , and although he took my passport in his hand, we didn't get off the train. I also told him that I was carrying only $10 cash and that I was going to use my credit card in Ukraine. A few minutes later he gave us our passports back (we didn't give him any money) and the train left. So here are my suggestions:

1. if you have to cross through Transnistria, take the train. They can retain a bus in the customs area, but not a train

2. Never carry too much cash on you. They might want it. Take a credit card or debit card or a traveller's check. They don't have an ATM at the border and also they won't know how to use a credit card (some of them can't even use a computer). If they try to take your credit card, you can report it stolen at your bank and you won't lose anything.

3. Sometimes you might want to just play stupid and, in case of emergency, even beg them to let you go, etc. Those assholes love power and if you make them feel powerful they might feel flattered enough to let you go.

Good luck!

• Trains

• Crossing through Transnistria. How to avoid bribes

by otilias Written Aug 1, 2010

Hi!

I don't know if my answer is going to be of much help, but about two years ago I crossed Transnistria through Bender together with an American friend (I am Moldova). We were on the train going to Kiev and the conductor told me that the Transnistrian border patrol were going to give us trouble because of my American friend and that they would expect us to give them bribes. however, the conductor also told us to not get off the train, no matter what, just stay in the train even if they take our passports away, because no matter what, they don't have the right to stop the train because of two passengers. And so we did. The russian-speaking Transnistrian officer told us that our papers weren't enough and that we had to get off the train (the hint was that he could solve our problems really quickly in exchange for some cash). I played stupid, pretending I didn't understand what he was telling me , and although he took my passport in his hand, we didn't get off the train. I also told him that I was carrying only $10 cash and that I was going to use my credit card in Ukraine. A few minutes later he gave us our passports back (we didn't give him any money) and the train left. So here are my suggestions:

Good luck!

• Trains

• ZiOOlek's Profile Photo

Check my passport

by ZiOOlek Updated Apr 5, 2008

It is important to have a passport with you all the time when walking or sightseeing in Moldova. Police officers are fond of checking passports often. When I have arrived at the station in Chisinau first person how greeted me was police man.:) What is more, they don't speak any language, except Russian and Moldovian and they will ask you many questions and expect answers... They ask even about how you like Moldova or what have you already seen. It seems just odd. Moreover, they are searching your passport to see your visa. They didn't find in my passport as Polish citizens do not need visa to enter Moldova and police officer was really surprised. In fact, there are few countries whose citizens do not need any visas and one of them is Poland. Police is very suspecious about everything...

It is also vital to have registraion form with you when you stay longer than three days.

• corrupted border police

by pini1212 Written Dec 21, 2007

Mr. Aleksander Korolev, PMR Vice President
    Pridnestrovian government's migration office
    2A Kotovskiy St, Tiraspol

Dear Sir,

Subject: Tourists in PMR was forced to pay 160 Euros by Border Police.

I was born in 1946 in Bendery which is now in Pridnestrovskaia Moldavskaia Respublica I was raised there until Sep, 1957, in which time I moved with my parents to Israel.

After 50 years away from this city where I was born, I decided to go and visit Bendery again. I was encouraged to do so even more after reading in the www.pridnestrovie.net/ that no visa is required when entering Pridnestrovie and how easy a visit to Pridnestrovie should be. I also found in the website: “…plus public-spiritedness and lack of sleaze in Pridnestrovie”.

What Happened At the Border?
    On Sep 15, 2007, after a trip of more then 300 km., from Romania, we arrived at the border of PRIDNESTROVIE at the main checkpoint in Bendery. To my dismay the border police wouldn't let us in, unless we would pay whatever they demand. They didn’t let us go in because the Canadian couple didn’t have visa to Moldova! (But the Canadian citizens do not need visa to enter to Moldova!) The first policeman demanded 5 euros per person. Having no choice (after traveling so long) we paid him, 30 Euros. He then ordered us to go to a second checkpoint, at which another policeman demand us to pay 30 euros more! In addition, he told us to live Bendery before 10 pm. So we were forced to be in Bendery only a few hours for a visit without any legal papers, which we needed to show to the hotel where we wanted to stay over night in Bendery, as we planed! While in Bendery we were confused with the traffic signs and were stopped by a policeman. Another 50 Euros to the pocket of this policeman resolved this issue…

We went back to the border at 10 pm, same day. At the checkpoint, now another policeman took from us 50 Euros more just to let us go out.

Is this how PRIDNESTROVIE want to promote tourism to their country?

That letter speaks for himself

• GCoop's Profile Photo

Taxi Drivers!

by GCoop Written May 17, 2007

Only go in the OFFICIAL yellow taxi's! The one's at the hotel, or on the street that say" Taxi" on the roof aren't offical, and are way over priced! YOU WILL GET RIPPED OFF!

The driver's will qoute you a price in dollars as well!!!!

• lotharlerch's Profile Photo

Transnistria with Tiraspol

by lotharlerch Updated Jul 8, 2005

Needless to say that this quite rarely done sidetrip to this separatist-stalinist theme park might be full of weird risks.

I do not want to list the risks here but illustrate the cultural/intellectual background as it was shown by a reaction of a local intellectual to my VT contributions. You see, the automatic VT censor works also here - an interesting marriage of understanding of freedom of writing and speech in Stalinism and on VT.

To illustrate this I paste the comment I got to my e-mail address outside VT:

Victor I. Plaksyenko wrote:

> Hi "Doctor" Lerch! I live in Tiraspol. It was interesting to read your "smart" story at Virtual Tourist.com and to know we all living in Tiraspol are a pile of trash (garbage heap). Well I think you live in a *** HEAP ***ing small peace of ***! I *** you, your mother, your children and all your unborn yet children! Be cursed and die!!! ***ing austrian hunchbacked idiot.

And my answer:
    Hi Victor Ivanovych,

the style of your letter confirms that the cultural level of Pridnyestrovye's elite exactly corresponds to their understanding of democracy.

• Theme Park Trips

• Lion_Beat's Profile Photo

Ice drift

by Lion_Beat Written Aug 22, 2003

A danger only if you are out of town, somewhere nearto The Nistru or Prut River in the spring and decided to go fishing on the River or just travelling and decided to make a camp near to the water...
    I'm sure you know that, just wanted to remind you and post this nice picture here!

• Fishing

• PashenkaMD's Profile Photo

If you need to go through the...

by PashenkaMD Written Aug 26, 2002

If you need to go through the break away Republic of Transdnistria, be prepared for a great amount of questions. They are The last remaining hardcore Soviet Communists on the planet. They are Russians (NO romanians) who want to join the country back with Russia.

Moldova Hotels

2 Reviews - 15 Photos
Molovata Noua Hotels
Ialoveni Hotels

Instant Answers: Moldova

Comments

Moldova Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Moldova warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Moldova sightseeing.
Map of Moldova