Dokkum Travel Guide

by dromosapien

Dokkum Things to Do

Dokkum: windmill

by OlafS Updated Oct 8, 2003

Dokkum has two old windmills from the 19th century. Both were built on top of the fortifications and are of the same type. One is a shop now.

• Architecture

Dokkum: St. Bonifatiuskapel

by OlafS Updated Oct 8, 2003

A little outside the centre, on the grounds where the remains of St. Boniface and his companions had been buried, a procession-park was built in the early 20th century. A big chapel was built in 1934, designed by H.W. Valk. This is one of my favourite architects and this building was one of my main reasons to make the long journey to Dokkum. I wanted to take pictures of the back as well. Getting permission was no problem, but I did have to find my way through vegetables, barbed wire and sh1t. When I noticed that the next obstacle was a herd of sheep I decided I had enough pictures. Sheep should be tame animals, but I didn't want to take any risk.

Oh, I shouldn't forget to mention that the water from the fountain in front of the chapel is believed to have healing qualities. Of course.

• Architecture
    • Religious Travel

Dokkum: church St. Martinus en Bonifatius

by OlafS Updated Oct 8, 2003

The Roman-Catholic church of St. Martinus en Bonifatius dates from 1870-1872 and was designed by the famous P.J.H. Cuypers. It's so closely surrounded by other buildings it's almost impossible to make a good picture of the outside. I made some excellent pictures inside, though. Fabulous interior, still mostly 19th-century.

Dokkum Hotels

Instant Answers: Dokkum

Comments

Dokkum Travel Guide
Map of Dokkum