Special for tourist you can visit the Afsluitdijk Monument designed by architect W.M. Dudok. There is a small souvenir shop -where Jan Conijn is selling postcards for 50 years- and a panorama tower.
The monument was completed at september 25 1933 and was a gift of the construction company.
At Kornwerderzand The Dutch armed forces stopped the German invasion in May 1940. It was impossible for the German forces to proceed and only due to the capitulation (forced by the bombardment of the city of Rotterdam) they passed.
Nowadays the fortifications can be visit at the Kazematten museum.
May - June: We & Sa: 10AM - 5PM
July - October: We & Sa: 10AM - 5PM; Su 1PM - 5PM
Adults: € 3,00
Visit Breezanddijk. It was a former artificial island, needed for the construction of the dike. Now it's a hidding place for ships during bad weather and an army practice location.
There is a gas station.
At both lock complexes there are bridges to allow passage of ships. Traffic on the highway comes to a standstill during these times.
The Afsluitdijk is a straight line for most of the dike.
Only at the Frisian side there's a bend leading it over the shallow base.
Favorite thing: This statue of Dr. Ir. Cornelis Lely was revealed by queen Juliana at september 23 1954. It is situated at the Lorentz locks at the Den Oever side.