Apeldoorn Off The Beaten Path

  • Windmill Oranjemolen
    Windmill Oranjemolen
    by vtveen
  • Man with Two Hats
    Man with Two Hats
    by vtveen
  • Verzetstrijderspark: resistance fighters monument
    Verzetstrijderspark: resistance fighters...
    by vtveen

Most Recent Off The Beaten Path in Apeldoorn

  • vtveen's Profile Photo

    Middelste Molen - authentic paper mill

    by vtveen Updated Oct 19, 2013

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    De Middelste Molen: still a paper factory
    4 more images

    “De Middelste Molen” is the only authentic paper factory on the Veluwe, which still exists and where paper is made on the same way as ‘hundred years’ ago. As a matter of fact the mill started to produce paper in the year of 1622 !! The factory is situated in a mill along the Voorsterbeek/Loenense Molenbeek (a brook) using the power of the water coming from the hills of the Veluwe.

    In 1895 the factory became a steam engine, so it was no longer dependent on the quantity of water in the brook. The commercial production of paper was closed down in 1969. The factory was in very bad condition, when the first restorations were made in 1994.

    Nowadays there is a professional miller (Piet Zegers) and a lot of volunteers. They do succeed to produce very special kinds of paper. It is quite unique to visit this factory/mill/museum.

    There is a small reception where you can have a drink and a 'paper shop'.

    Information
    Opening hours: Wednesday till Saturday from 10.00 – 16.00 hours. From May till October, also on Tuesday (same hours)
    Address: Kanaal Zuid 497, Loenen (Veluwe); about 15 km's south east from Apeldoorn
    Directions: www.viamichelin.com
    Accessible: by car or bike, not with public transportation
    Entrance fee (2013) : adults 5 euro and children 2,50 euro.

    Related to:
    • Road Trip
    • Museum Visits

    Was this review helpful?

  • vtveen's Profile Photo

    Sand Hills on the Veluwe

    by vtveen Updated Aug 20, 2013

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Kootwijkerzand: impressive scenery
    4 more images

    About 15 km's west of Apeldoorn is situated the so called "Kootwijkerzand". A huge area of shifting (inland) sand dunes in the middle of the Veluwe with lots of walking tracks.
    (www.staatsbosbeheer.nl/doen/dagjeuit/zelfoppad/details.asp?LOC_ID=61)

    One of the most remote parts of the Veluwe and wonderful to walk around during every season. Or just sit on one of the dunes and enjoy this impressive scenery of wind-shaped sand hills or the warmth of the sun; out of the wind it seems always to be a couple of degrees warmer than elsewhere.

    After your visit drink a cup of coffee or tea in the village of Kootwijk with a lovely old church.

    Directions
    About 15 km's west of Apeldoorn; see for directions www.michelin.com
    Only accessible by car (or bycicle).

    Related to:
    • Hiking and Walking
    • National/State Park

    Was this review helpful?

  • vtveen's Profile Photo

    Kootwijk – small village on the Veluwe

    by vtveen Updated Aug 20, 2013

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Kootwijk:  'Brink' - centre of the village
    4 more images

    Most probably Kootwijk ('cote' = sheep fold / 'wick' = area) used to have a lot of sheep folds. But nowadays there is just a sculpture of some sheep on the square in the centre of this small village. On the same (green) square you will find a very old church. It is said it has been build in the 17th century: simple but impressive.

    Besides these two sights Kootwijk is an ideal starting point for exploring one of the biggest shifting sand dunes in Europe: Kootwijkerzand (see special tip) and making a walk or bike tour through the lovely surrounding area.

    Kootwijk has a couple of camping grounds, holiday park and a hotel/cafe/restaurant 't Hilletje.

    Directions
    about 15 km's west of Apeldoorn;
    see www.viamichelin.com

    Related to:
    • Cycling
    • Hiking and Walking
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • vtveen's Profile Photo

    Radio Kootwijk – former transmitting station

    by vtveen Updated Aug 20, 2013

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Radio Kootwijk -
    4 more images

    After World War I a huge transmitting station was built on the shifting-sands of Kootwijk. In the beginning there was nothing but sand and woods. Of course the station needed workers and so a 'whole' village did arise with houses and even a hotel; all in the middle of nowhere, about 15 km’s west of Apeldoorn.
    This station was necessary to ensure reliable communications between the Netherlands and its overseas territories.

    At the end of the last century new technical developments did make this kind of transmitters redundant. Most of the buildings and the masts were pulled down, but the main building was saved. This huge concrete building - officially 'Gebouw A' - is commonly called "de Kathedraal" (the Cathedral) and was and is the landmark of Radio Kootwijk; an important piece of industrial history.

    The settlement has also a water tower - with a height of almost 38 meters - from the same architect as the 'Cathedral': J.M. Luthmann. Water was used for cooling the transmitting station ans as drinkwater for the inhabitants.

    The historical buildings are now owned by 'Staatsbosbeheer' (a government institution), which will redeveloped the buildings and surrounding nature.

    In Radio Kootwijk you still can see the houses of the workers. Some of them in rows, whose corner houses were occupied by the bosses. Detached houses were destined for a doctor and the director of the transmitting station.
    Opposite the row of houses, just on a triangle of roads, are two small monuments, as reminders of the transmitting history of the village.

    Directions
    Radio Kootwijk is only accessible by car or bike.
    see: www.viamichelin.com

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Hiking and Walking
    • Cycling

    Was this review helpful?

  • vtveen's Profile Photo

    Man With Two Hats

    by vtveen Updated Jun 25, 2013

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Man with Two Hats
    3 more images

    This is a monument to mark the 55th anniversary of the liberation of the Netherlands and to serve as a lasting reminder of the role of Canadian soldiers in securing that freedom.

    The statue was unveiled by Her Royal Highness Princess Margriet, who lives in Apeldoorn.

    The monument symbolizes the historic bonds between Canada and the Netherlands. It is a mysterous figure, which seems to be waving both hands with a hat in each one.

    In November an annual memorial takes place around this monument to honour the 7000 Canadian war victims during the liberation of the Netherlands. In 2005 a special plaque, a gift of the Canadian Governor General Adrienne Clarkson, was unveiled. This gift was already given to the people of Apeldoorn during the celebrations in May.

    More info (in Dutch): http://www.4en5mei.nl/oorlogsmonumenten/zoeken/monument-detail/_rp_main_elementId/1_1722

    The monument is situated nearby the entrance of 'Het Loo Palace', an absolutely must see site in Apeldoorn.

    Two years after the unveiling in the Netherlands Ottawa (Canada) became exectly the same monuemnt. See for more info: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/p/m/1b3ff2/

    Directions
    Car: follow the signs 'Paleis Het Loo' along highways A1-A50.
    Public transport from the railway/bus station:
    - lines 102, 104, 400 - stop 'Paleis Het Loo';
    - lines 16, 202 - stop 'Gedenknaald'.
    On foot: 40 minutes from the railway station.

    See also
    Maple Leaf Monument.

    Was this review helpful?

  • vtveen's Profile Photo

    Mariakerk - a national monument

    by vtveen Updated Jun 25, 2013

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Mariakerk
    4 more images

    The Mariakerk is dedicated to Our Lady of the Assumption is commonly called St. Mary's Church. She is the first and long time the only Catholic church in Apeldoorn; was built in 1895 and in 1898 put into service. The building is a fine example of Gothic Revival, the style format of Catholic churches expressing a reliving of the medieval Gothic.
    The ship was built after a design of architect J.W. Boerbooms. In 1901 began the second phase, the construction of a transept and a choir, designed by the architects J.Th.J. Cuypers and J. Stuyt. The third phase, a 70m high west tower was never built due to a lack of money.

    Although being a national monument I never really visited the Mariakerk - or as it is officially named ‘Onze Lieve Vrouwe Ten Hemelopneming’ - in my hometown; especially because it has limited opening hours for visitors, beside its regular services and during special events.
    But they opened the church for visitors (since 2010) on Saturdays in July and August.

    I often had seen the rather sober and basic exterior of the church, partly hidden behind a modern apartment complex, but I was really surprised by the beauty of its interior. The church is rather bright and has a offers a kind of warmth with its colours and brick ceilings.
    The walls of the aisles do have wonderful Stations of the Cross, painted by Wynand Geraerdts. He also painted the murals above the arches. Throughout the church there are even more paintings and a couple of wonderful stained-glass windows.
    At the end of the church stands the beautiful (old) high altar, made by Friedrich Wilhelm Mengelberg.

    I could visit the ‘Schatkamer’ accompanied by one of the volunteers. This ‘Treasury Room’ is located on the first floor and has a lot of religious artefacts - bibles, crosses, clothes and other knick-knacks - from the parish.
    At the entrance of the church is a small ‘shop’ with information and photos of the church.

    Information
    Opening hours (hope they will continue to open the church for visitors):
    Saturdays in July and August 11.00 am - 2.00 pm and during special events, (music) performances and the regular services.

    Direction: Hoofdstraat 20, Apeldoorn; nearby the railway station of Apeldoorn.

    Related to:
    • Arts and Culture
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • vtveen's Profile Photo

    Gift for Queen Beatrix

    by vtveen Updated Jun 10, 2013

    4 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    very Dutch: red, white and blue

    Saturday August 13 of the year 2005 (former) Queen Beatrix unveiled this stained-glass window in the 'Grote Kerk' in Apeldoorn.

    This very colourful window is a present from the citizens and employers of the town as a tribute for the 25 years of being queen of the Netherlands.

    This window is put into the church on the left side of the pulpit and the huge church organ (on the other side is a window in honour of former Queen Wilhelmina).

    Artist Huub Kurvers designed this stained window with several coats of arms and the colours of our national flag: red, white and blue.

    See for openinghours of the church my other tip about the Grote Kerk.

    Directions
    Grote Kerk, Loolaan 16, Apeldoorn
    On walking distance of the city center of Apeldoorn.

    Related to:
    • Arts and Culture

    Was this review helpful?

  • vtveen's Profile Photo

    Het Oude Loo

    by vtveen Updated Apr 9, 2013

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Het Oude Loo
    4 more images

    An old hunting castle, next to the more well-known Palace Het Loo (now a museum), most probably built in the 16th century.

    Nowadays used by the Dutch royal family for ceremonies and to accommodate (foreign) visitors.

    Castle: closed for public
    Gardens around the castle: open for public ONLY in April and May.
    During these months lots of blooming rhododendrons and azalea's around the castle and a huge pond behind the castle. English style garden with impressive trees. At the entrance to the castle is a 'natural' labyrinth (left hand side).

    'Het Oude Loo' is located in the middle of 'Het Paleispark', which offers some nice walks; from the main entrance are three signposted (loop)walks (3, 5 and 7 km's).

    Entrance: car park Palace Het Loo; there is a ticket machine at the left side of the car park and you need euro coins to pay (2010: entrance fee € 1,50 - seniors and children € 0,50). (With the same ticket you also can visit the Paleispark/Park of the Palace)

    Directions
    Car: follow the signs 'Paleis Het Loo' along highways A1-A50.
    Public transport from the railway/bus station:
    - lines 102, 104, 400 - stop 'Paleis Het Loo';
    - lines 16, 202 - stop 'Gedenknaald'.
    On foot: 40 minutes from the railway station.

    Related to:
    • Hiking and Walking
    • Castles and Palaces

    Was this review helpful?

  • vtveen's Profile Photo

    Paleispark

    by vtveen Updated Apr 9, 2013

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    View from the Teahouse
    4 more images

    The Paleispark (Park of the Palace) is part of the so called 'Kroondomein Het Loo', a large forest behind the Palace Het Loo.

    The Paleispark is the part close to the palace and was used by the royal family (who lived here for years) for walks and hunting. There are also a tea- bath and a boathouse on the shore of one of the romantic lakes. Everywhere are small streams and wells.

    Excellent for walks; from the main entrance are three signposted (loop)walks (3, 5 and 7 km's).
    Entrance: car park Palace Het Loo; there is a ticket machine at the left side of the car park and you need euro coins to pay (2010: entrance fee € 1,50 - / seniors and children € 0,50).
    (ONLY during April and May you also can visit the gardens around the castle Het Oude Loo with the same ticket)

    Directions
    Car: follow the signs 'Paleis Het Loo' along highways A1-A50.
    Public transport from the railway/bus station:
    - lines 102, 104, 400 - stop 'Paleis Het Loo';
    - line 16, 202 - stop 'Gedenknaald'.
    On foot: 40 minutes from the railway station.

    Related to:
    • Castles and Palaces
    • Hiking and Walking

    Was this review helpful?

  • vtveen's Profile Photo

    De Naald - our tallest monument

    by vtveen Updated Apr 9, 2013

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    De Naald
    2 more images

    ‘De Naald’ - in Apeldoorn also called De Gedenknaald - is with its height of 17 meters (56 feet) the tallest monument of my hometown and a landmark in the North-western part - were I live - of the city. The obelisk-liked monument is made of stone and surrounded by an iron fence and stone bollards.

    ‘De Naald’ (The Needle) is located on the intersection of the Amersfoortse- and Zwolseweg, just in front of one of the impressive tree lined drive ways to Palace Het Loo. Of course ‘De Naald’ has a ‘royal’ spot, because it was a gift of the citizens of Apeldoorn to Queen Wilhelmina and Prince Hendrik, who used to live in ‘Het Loo’. Beside it was dedicated to Queen Emma and her husband King Willem III.

    When Queen Wilhelmina and Prince Hendrik were married on 7 February 1901, ‘De Naald’ was not yet ready; it was unveiled by Queen Wilhelmina a month later on 9 March 1901. One side of De Naald shows on a bronze plate the portraits in profile of Emma and Willem III; on another side is a plaque with the text:

    Gesticht
    door de Ingezetenen
    der Gemeente Apeldoorn
    als eene dankbare hulde
    aan de
    DOORLUCHTIGE OUDERS
    van Hare Majesteit
    KONINGIN WILHELMINA.

    English translation: Founded by the Residents of the Municipality of Apeldoorn as a grateful tribute to the illustrious parents of Her Majesty Queen Wilhelmina.

    ‘De Naald’ became world famous on April 30 2009, when the perpetrator of the Queens Day attack crashed with its car into the fence and stone bollards of the monument. Since 29.04.2009 the is Queen’s Day Attack Monument just opposite ‘De Naald’

    Directions
    Intersection Zwolseweg and Amersfoortseweg, nearby Palace Het Loo.
    By car: follow the signs 'Paleis Het Loo' along the highways A1 and A50.
    By regular buses from the railway/bus station:
    - lines 102, 104, 400 - stop 'Paleis Het Loo'
    - lines 16, 202 - stop 'Gedenknaald'
    On foot: 40 minutes from the railway/bus station.

    Related to:
    • Arts and Culture
    • Castles and Palaces
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • vtveen's Profile Photo

    Queen’s Day Attack Monument

    by vtveen Updated Apr 9, 2013

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Queen?s Day Attack Monument
    4 more images

    One year after the terrible attack on Queen’s Day 2009 a permanent monument to the victims was unveiled by Queen Beatrix and Mayor De Graaf. The monument was designed by glass artist Menno Jonker.

    This Queen's Day Attack Monument (Herinneringsmonument 30 april 2009) is a granite box containing several glass balloons, which symbolize vulnerability, celebration and mourning; seven white balloons represent the seven innocent victims who died in the attack. The artist has chosen the colour white, because it is used for mourning, especially to give expression to a link between death and a kind of hope.
    If possible visit the monument (also) in the evening; for me the place and monument are more impressive and even look a little bit mysterious with lights shining through the balloons (see one of the photo's).

    The names of the seven victims are engraved in the armoured glass plate, which is placed on the box with balloons. Next to the names is a Dutch text:

    Een schrikverbleekte wereld stokte,
    de nacht viel zwart de dag binnen ...

    The monument - 180 cm wide and 64 cm high - has been placed opposite the ‘Naald’, a monument in Apeldoorn where the car of the perpetrator of the attack on the Dutch Royal Family - during Queens Day 2009 - crashed.

    Directions
    Car: follow the signs 'Paleis Het Loo' along highways A1-A50.
    Public transport from the railway/bus station:
    - lines 102, 104, 400 - stop 'Paleis Het Loo';
    - lines 16, 202 - stop 'Gedenknaald'.
    On foot: 40 minutes from the railway station.

    Was this review helpful?

  • vtveen's Profile Photo

    Castle Staverden - just strolling around

    by vtveen Updated Jun 20, 2012

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Castle Staverden
    4 more images

    Although not really in Apeldoorn - about 20km's away - I think this could be a very nice (half) day trip.

    Castle Staverden isn’t a real castle, but more a manor. In popular speech it is still called ‘castle’ because of its history of more than 800 years and the fact that four buildings have been built on this place. The first one was a hunting lodge used by the counts and dukes of Gelre, dating back to 1298.
    The same year Staverden became city rights - granted by German King Rudolf to count Reinout of Gelderland - and nowadays most probably is the smallest city on earth with its 40 inhabitants living in the manor and farmhouses of the estate. The present ‘castle’ was built in 1905.

    Although living rather close to this castle we never visited it till one of these lovely sunny autumn days during the end of October 2009. From the car park we walked in the restored 17th century garden of the castle, surrounded by a moat and a stream called ‘Staverdense Beek’. We passed the peacock statue, an ice cellar and an old grave having a tombstone with inscription ‘Leonora 1353’, before reaching the buildings existing of the former stables and the renovated house, which is not open for public.

    In another corner of the garden stand an old water mill and a barn. The water mill itself is not open for visitors, but we could come very close and had a view of the water wheel. The barn has been altered into a visitor center with all kinds of information of Castle Staverden and the estate and a small shop selling gifts and local authentic products.

    Castle and garden are surrounded by streams, a pond and old striking trees (during our ‘fall visit’ with colourful golden leaves), being part of an estate which is situated in the middle of one of the most beautiful forests of the Netherlands. We finished our stroll around Castle Staverden on the terrace of the former Orangery (since April 2009 a café/restaurant) enjoying our coffee and the beautiful entourage.

    (It is also possible to make some longer walks along marked trails - will do it during a next visit. If following the red or yellow posts you will see the white peacocks. These animals have always been kept on Castle Staverden, the reason why it is also called ‘Peacock Castle’. Dukes of Gelre used to wear the feathers on their helmets.)

    Directions
    Road to Amersfoort (N 344) till Nieuw-Milligen > roundabout direction Harderwijk > second roundabout directiion Staverden (Gardenseweg) > turn right Staverdense weg > Castle Staverden, Staverdenseweg 283, Staverden

    Related to:
    • Hiking and Walking
    • National/State Park
    • Castles and Palaces

    Was this review helpful?

  • vtveen's Profile Photo

    Maple Leaf Monument

    by vtveen Updated Jun 20, 2012

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    maple Leaf Monument: beginning of the Canadalaan

    "Deze boom werd geplant
    op 29 december 1945
    door Luit. Gen. G.G. Simonds
    commandant van het
    IIe Canadese legerkorps
    dat Nederland bevrijdde"

    (This tree was planted
    on December 29 of 1945
    by Lieutenant-General G.G. Simonds
    commander of the
    2e Canadian Army Corps
    which liberated the Netherlands)"

    This is the text on a plaque, which is situated at the Loolaan, near the "Grote Kerk" ( building at the background of the picture). It is one of the remembrances of the liberation of Apeldoorn by the Canadians. The other one is the monument "Man with Two Hats" (see off the beaten path tip).

    The planting of this tree (of course a Canadian maple) was also the 'birth' of the Canadalaan (former Marialaan), which starts at this point.

    See for more info (in Dutch): http://www.4en5mei.nl/nc4en5mei-staging/oorlogsmonumenten/zoeken/monument-detail/_rp_main_elementId/1_327364

    See also tip: Man with Two Hats.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • vtveen's Profile Photo

    Oranjepark - a real city park

    by vtveen Updated Nov 3, 2011

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Oranjepark
    4 more images

    Oranjepark is situated near downtown Apeldoorn. It is a real city park and is a beautiful green spot in the centre of the town.

    The Oranjepark was opened in 1876 and has lots of old trees, a pond (with a fountain and lots of ducks), a bandstand and the official war monument of Apeldoorn.

    It doesn't matter what time of the year you visit Oranjepark. During springtime you may enjoy the blooming crocusses, in summer there are free Sunday afternoon concerts, fall has its own charm with abundant fall foliage in the park and if there is a real winter the park is a place for ice skating.

    As said during the summer (mid may - mid September) each Sunday afternoon there is a (free) concert in the park. See for programme and more info: http://www.muziektentapeldoorn.nl/

    Walking distance from downtown Apeldoorn.

    Was this review helpful?

  • vtveen's Profile Photo

    Town hall - home of the town

    by vtveen Updated Nov 1, 2011

    4 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Apeldoorn: town hall
    4 more images

    The town hall of Apeldoorn has to be the heart of the city; a building where local authorities, officials, civil servants and visitors feel comfortable; a meeting and reception place.

    Architect Hans Ruijssenaars created the building and did succeed in using as much as possible of daylight. Everybody is surprised by the amount of light inside the building. This fact is intensified by the white colours of the walls and ceilings. The best place to see the impact of this way of building is the impressive main entrance hall with its staircases to the upper floors.

    The (new) town hall is open for the workers and the public since the year of 1993. There are offices for about 1.000 civil servants. It is (of course) free to take a look inside the building.

    Directions
    The town hall is located at the Marktplein (Market Square) in the heart of the city centre of Apeldoorn; just 500 metres from the train and bus station (with a bus stop just opposite the building) and also easy accessible by car with a huge parking garage beneath the building.

    Related to:
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

Instant Answers: Apeldoorn

Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers

96 travelers online now

Comments

Apeldoorn Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Apeldoorn off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Apeldoorn sightseeing.

View all Apeldoorn hotels