Apeldoorn Off The Beaten Path

  • Windmill Oranjemolen
    Windmill Oranjemolen
    by vtveen
  • Man with Two Hats
    Man with Two Hats
    by vtveen
  • Verzetstrijderspark: resistance fighters monument
    Verzetstrijderspark: resistance fighters...
    by vtveen

Best Rated Off The Beaten Path in Apeldoorn

  • vtveen's Profile Photo

    Paleispark

    by vtveen Updated Apr 9, 2013

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    View from the Teahouse
    4 more images

    The Paleispark (Park of the Palace) is part of the so called 'Kroondomein Het Loo', a large forest behind the Palace Het Loo.

    The Paleispark is the part close to the palace and was used by the royal family (who lived here for years) for walks and hunting. There are also a tea- bath and a boathouse on the shore of one of the romantic lakes. Everywhere are small streams and wells.

    Excellent for walks; from the main entrance are three signposted (loop)walks (3, 5 and 7 km's).
    Entrance: car park Palace Het Loo; there is a ticket machine at the left side of the car park and you need euro coins to pay (2010: entrance fee € 1,50 - / seniors and children € 0,50).
    (ONLY during April and May you also can visit the gardens around the castle Het Oude Loo with the same ticket)

    Directions
    Car: follow the signs 'Paleis Het Loo' along highways A1-A50.
    Public transport from the railway/bus station:
    - lines 102, 104, 400 - stop 'Paleis Het Loo';
    - line 16, 202 - stop 'Gedenknaald'.
    On foot: 40 minutes from the railway station.

    Related to:
    • Castles and Palaces
    • Hiking and Walking

    Was this review helpful?

  • vtveen's Profile Photo

    Het Oude Loo

    by vtveen Updated Apr 9, 2013

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Het Oude Loo
    4 more images

    An old hunting castle, next to the more well-known Palace Het Loo (now a museum), most probably built in the 16th century.

    Nowadays used by the Dutch royal family for ceremonies and to accommodate (foreign) visitors.

    Castle: closed for public
    Gardens around the castle: open for public ONLY in April and May.
    During these months lots of blooming rhododendrons and azalea's around the castle and a huge pond behind the castle. English style garden with impressive trees. At the entrance to the castle is a 'natural' labyrinth (left hand side).

    'Het Oude Loo' is located in the middle of 'Het Paleispark', which offers some nice walks; from the main entrance are three signposted (loop)walks (3, 5 and 7 km's).

    Entrance: car park Palace Het Loo; there is a ticket machine at the left side of the car park and you need euro coins to pay (2010: entrance fee € 1,50 - seniors and children € 0,50). (With the same ticket you also can visit the Paleispark/Park of the Palace)

    Directions
    Car: follow the signs 'Paleis Het Loo' along highways A1-A50.
    Public transport from the railway/bus station:
    - lines 102, 104, 400 - stop 'Paleis Het Loo';
    - lines 16, 202 - stop 'Gedenknaald'.
    On foot: 40 minutes from the railway station.

    Related to:
    • Hiking and Walking
    • Castles and Palaces

    Was this review helpful?

  • vtveen's Profile Photo

    Oranjepark - a real city park

    by vtveen Updated Nov 3, 2011

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Oranjepark
    4 more images

    Oranjepark is situated near downtown Apeldoorn. It is a real city park and is a beautiful green spot in the centre of the town.

    The Oranjepark was opened in 1876 and has lots of old trees, a pond (with a fountain and lots of ducks), a bandstand and the official war monument of Apeldoorn.

    It doesn't matter what time of the year you visit Oranjepark. During springtime you may enjoy the blooming crocusses, in summer there are free Sunday afternoon concerts, fall has its own charm with abundant fall foliage in the park and if there is a real winter the park is a place for ice skating.

    As said during the summer (mid may - mid September) each Sunday afternoon there is a (free) concert in the park. See for programme and more info: http://www.muziektentapeldoorn.nl/

    Walking distance from downtown Apeldoorn.

    Was this review helpful?

  • vtveen's Profile Photo

    Man With Two Hats

    by vtveen Updated Jun 25, 2013

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Man with Two Hats
    3 more images

    This is a monument to mark the 55th anniversary of the liberation of the Netherlands and to serve as a lasting reminder of the role of Canadian soldiers in securing that freedom.

    The statue was unveiled by Her Royal Highness Princess Margriet, who lives in Apeldoorn.

    The monument symbolizes the historic bonds between Canada and the Netherlands. It is a mysterous figure, which seems to be waving both hands with a hat in each one.

    In November an annual memorial takes place around this monument to honour the 7000 Canadian war victims during the liberation of the Netherlands. In 2005 a special plaque, a gift of the Canadian Governor General Adrienne Clarkson, was unveiled. This gift was already given to the people of Apeldoorn during the celebrations in May.

    More info (in Dutch): http://www.4en5mei.nl/oorlogsmonumenten/zoeken/monument-detail/_rp_main_elementId/1_1722

    The monument is situated nearby the entrance of 'Het Loo Palace', an absolutely must see site in Apeldoorn.

    Two years after the unveiling in the Netherlands Ottawa (Canada) became exectly the same monuemnt. See for more info: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/p/m/1b3ff2/

    Directions
    Car: follow the signs 'Paleis Het Loo' along highways A1-A50.
    Public transport from the railway/bus station:
    - lines 102, 104, 400 - stop 'Paleis Het Loo';
    - lines 16, 202 - stop 'Gedenknaald'.
    On foot: 40 minutes from the railway station.

    See also
    Maple Leaf Monument.

    Was this review helpful?

  • vtveen's Profile Photo

    Sand Hills on the Veluwe

    by vtveen Updated Aug 20, 2013

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Kootwijkerzand: impressive scenery
    4 more images

    About 15 km's west of Apeldoorn is situated the so called "Kootwijkerzand". A huge area of shifting (inland) sand dunes in the middle of the Veluwe with lots of walking tracks.
    (www.staatsbosbeheer.nl/doen/dagjeuit/zelfoppad/details.asp?LOC_ID=61)

    One of the most remote parts of the Veluwe and wonderful to walk around during every season. Or just sit on one of the dunes and enjoy this impressive scenery of wind-shaped sand hills or the warmth of the sun; out of the wind it seems always to be a couple of degrees warmer than elsewhere.

    After your visit drink a cup of coffee or tea in the village of Kootwijk with a lovely old church.

    Directions
    About 15 km's west of Apeldoorn; see for directions www.michelin.com
    Only accessible by car (or bycicle).

    Related to:
    • Hiking and Walking
    • National/State Park

    Was this review helpful?

  • vtveen's Profile Photo

    Grote Kerk

    by vtveen Updated Aug 18, 2010

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Grote Kerk
    4 more images

    The Grote Kerk (Large Church) was built in 1892 on the foundations of an even older church of 1842 (financed by King Willem I).

    It is one of the oldest and largest churches in Apeldoorn and was and is a 'royal' church. Queen Wilhelmina often went to the Grote Kerk and nowadays there are still royal weddings and christening ceremonies.

    In front of the church is a statue of former Queen Wilhelmina.

    Open for visitors: Wednesday and Saturday afternoon from 1.30 - 3.30 pm (May till September).

    Directions
    Loolaan 16, Apeldoorn
    In walking distance from downtown Apeldoorn, just opposite the theatre 'Orpheus'.

    Related to:
    • Arts and Culture
    • Religious Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • vtveen's Profile Photo

    'Wenumse Watermolen' - power of water

    by vtveen Updated Aug 25, 2010

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Wenum Water Mill
    4 more images

    'Wenum Water Mill'

    In and around Apeldoorn, more or less along the Veluwe massif, once were lots of water mills. They used the power of the water, streaming through small brooks from the hills of the Veluwe to the rivers of Rhine and IJssel.
    People, living here, already built in the 13e century mills along this brooks. They were used for milling grain, striking oil from seeds, rolling copper and producing paper. Later on some of these mills were converted into laundries.

    The ‘Wenumse Watermolen’ is a typical example of this kind of mill history. Built in or even before the year 1313 it was first a grain mill. In the 18th century the mill was used as a copper mill. In 1917 the stone building (see picture) was built and the mill used again as a grain mill.

    After a restoration the mill is owned by the local council from 1972 and managed by volunteers. This original water mill is opened for visitors every first Saturday of a month from 10.00 – 16.00 hours (or on demand for groups). Check opening hours at the Tourist Information Office (www.vvvapeldoorn.nl).

    I don’t say a wrong word if telling you this is a very idyllic spot: the stone building with millstones, a brook, an old bridge and just opposite the mill a large pond (called 'wijerd'). Nowadays used by the locals for fishing. Close to this water mill is also Apeldoorn’s only wind mill.

    Directions
    The mill is situated in the neighbourhood of Wenum (Oude Zwolseweg 164), about 5 km’s north of Apeldoorn.
    The best way to visit is by (rental) bike or car.

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Road Trip
    • Arts and Culture

    Was this review helpful?

  • vtveen's Profile Photo

    Middelste Molen - authentic paper mill

    by vtveen Updated Oct 19, 2013

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    De Middelste Molen: still a paper factory
    4 more images

    “De Middelste Molen” is the only authentic paper factory on the Veluwe, which still exists and where paper is made on the same way as ‘hundred years’ ago. As a matter of fact the mill started to produce paper in the year of 1622 !! The factory is situated in a mill along the Voorsterbeek/Loenense Molenbeek (a brook) using the power of the water coming from the hills of the Veluwe.

    In 1895 the factory became a steam engine, so it was no longer dependent on the quantity of water in the brook. The commercial production of paper was closed down in 1969. The factory was in very bad condition, when the first restorations were made in 1994.

    Nowadays there is a professional miller (Piet Zegers) and a lot of volunteers. They do succeed to produce very special kinds of paper. It is quite unique to visit this factory/mill/museum.

    There is a small reception where you can have a drink and a 'paper shop'.

    Information
    Opening hours: Wednesday till Saturday from 10.00 – 16.00 hours. From May till October, also on Tuesday (same hours)
    Address: Kanaal Zuid 497, Loenen (Veluwe); about 15 km's south east from Apeldoorn
    Directions: www.viamichelin.com
    Accessible: by car or bike, not with public transportation
    Entrance fee (2013) : adults 5 euro and children 2,50 euro.

    Related to:
    • Road Trip
    • Museum Visits

    Was this review helpful?

  • vtveen's Profile Photo

    Castle ter Horst - medieval gem

    by vtveen Updated Aug 30, 2010

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Castle ter Horst: idyllic situated
    4 more images

    One of the most unknown sights in Apeldoorn is ‘Castle ter Horst’. It is situated in the village of Loenen, about 15 km’s south east of Apeldoorn. The castle was built in 1557 and during an alteration stables and coach houses were added to the premises. The orangery is even older than the castle and was used by the owners as a grain shed.

    The castle is surrounded by a moat and very impressive English gardens. In every season it is a pleasure to walk around. The castle is also an official wedding location and some of the rooms can be rented.

    Visitors can take a look inside the castle only with a guided tour. Most of them are on Mondays during June, July, August and September and on two Mondays in October. Check the times at the website.

    Information
    Address: Hoofdweg 74, Loenen (Veluwe)
    Directions: www.viamichelin.com
    Accessible: car or bike; public transportation by bus till Loenen and then a walk of 1 km.

    Related to:
    • Castles and Palaces

    Was this review helpful?

  • vtveen's Profile Photo

    Castle Cannenburgh - back to the Middle Ages

    by vtveen Updated Oct 26, 2010

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Castle Cannenburgh
    4 more images

    We always like to visit ‘Castle Cannenburgh’ in the village of Vaassen, less than 10 km’s north of Apeldoorn. It is a real old castle, already built in the 15th century by Marshal Marten van Rossem. This classic castle, surrounded by a moat, has still the spirit of a medieval place with its old brick walls.

    The castle can be vistied and you will be impressed by the interior with lots of furniture, paintings and porcelain, all showed to the visitors in several rooms. It is just like ‘Marten van Rossem’ may enter one of them any moment. The tour will bring you to the chapel, a library, living- and bedrooms and the dark and creepy cellars.

    Next to the castle lies a beautiful garden with a couple of ponds. This garden can be visited with a combination ticket.

    You will find also a gift shop and an information center. There is also a café restaurant ('t Koetshuis) with a nice terrace. Great to have your coffee/tea, lunch or dinner with a view of this lovely castle.

    Information
    Opening hours: year round
    Entrance fee (2010): € 8,-
    See also: http://www.mooigelderland.nl/index.php?pageID=3281&n=&categoryID=1869&itemID=361714&show_castle=true

    Directions:
    address: Maarten van Rossumplein 4, Vaassen
    accessible (from Apeldoorn) by car or bicycle, or by bus line 90.

    Related to:
    • Castles and Palaces
    • Museum Visits
    • Hiking and Walking

    Was this review helpful?

  • vtveen's Profile Photo

    Hoog Buurlo – sheep village

    by vtveen Updated Aug 26, 2010

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Hoog Buurlo: shepherd's house
    4 more images

    It must be one of the smallest villages in the world. Hoog Buurlo has only two houses, three inhabitants, two sheep folds and more than hundred sheep. The 'village' is situated on a hill in the middle of the forests of the Veluwe.

    The shepherd and his flock have to walk 500 metres before they reach the vast heath land of Hoog Buurlo. There is a lot of space in this hilly landscape, which is one of the most scenic in the country.

    The sheep are staying in a new sheep fold (opened January 2009) in Hoog Buurlo. It is now possible for the sheep to stay the whole year in this fold and to have their lambs here.

    Hoog Buurlo is only accessible by car or bike, about 10 km’s southwest of Apeldoorn.
    By car you have to use one of the car parks along the road and to walk to 'the 'village'. Or just make a walk over the heath.
    Directions: www.viamichelin.com

    Related to:
    • Road Trip
    • National/State Park
    • Hiking and Walking

    Was this review helpful?

  • vtveen's Profile Photo

    De Naald - our tallest monument

    by vtveen Updated Apr 9, 2013

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    De Naald
    2 more images

    ‘De Naald’ - in Apeldoorn also called De Gedenknaald - is with its height of 17 meters (56 feet) the tallest monument of my hometown and a landmark in the North-western part - were I live - of the city. The obelisk-liked monument is made of stone and surrounded by an iron fence and stone bollards.

    ‘De Naald’ (The Needle) is located on the intersection of the Amersfoortse- and Zwolseweg, just in front of one of the impressive tree lined drive ways to Palace Het Loo. Of course ‘De Naald’ has a ‘royal’ spot, because it was a gift of the citizens of Apeldoorn to Queen Wilhelmina and Prince Hendrik, who used to live in ‘Het Loo’. Beside it was dedicated to Queen Emma and her husband King Willem III.

    When Queen Wilhelmina and Prince Hendrik were married on 7 February 1901, ‘De Naald’ was not yet ready; it was unveiled by Queen Wilhelmina a month later on 9 March 1901. One side of De Naald shows on a bronze plate the portraits in profile of Emma and Willem III; on another side is a plaque with the text:

    Gesticht
    door de Ingezetenen
    der Gemeente Apeldoorn
    als eene dankbare hulde
    aan de
    DOORLUCHTIGE OUDERS
    van Hare Majesteit
    KONINGIN WILHELMINA.

    English translation: Founded by the Residents of the Municipality of Apeldoorn as a grateful tribute to the illustrious parents of Her Majesty Queen Wilhelmina.

    ‘De Naald’ became world famous on April 30 2009, when the perpetrator of the Queens Day attack crashed with its car into the fence and stone bollards of the monument. Since 29.04.2009 the is Queen’s Day Attack Monument just opposite ‘De Naald’

    Directions
    Intersection Zwolseweg and Amersfoortseweg, nearby Palace Het Loo.
    By car: follow the signs 'Paleis Het Loo' along the highways A1 and A50.
    By regular buses from the railway/bus station:
    - lines 102, 104, 400 - stop 'Paleis Het Loo'
    - lines 16, 202 - stop 'Gedenknaald'
    On foot: 40 minutes from the railway/bus station.

    Related to:
    • Arts and Culture
    • Castles and Palaces
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • vtveen's Profile Photo

    Wenum - Oranjemolen ('t Haasje)

    by vtveen Updated Aug 25, 2010

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Windmill Oranjemolen
    2 more images

    The only traditional wind mill of Apeldoorn - Oranjemolen or 't Haasje - is situated in the neighbourhood of Wenum, very close to the Wenume Water Mill. Driving the old road from Apeldoorn to Vaassen you have to pass the bridge close to the water mill and after 100 metres you see the wind mill on the right hand side, standing in a typical Dutch scenery with some meadows and edges of a wood.

    Of course the mill is standing on a small elevation, because it has to catch the wind. You can come very close to the mill, due to its location along a public road. The mill has been restored in 2007 and looks a lot better now. If you are lucky, as I was during my last 'photo visit', you may see the mill running.

    The present mill was built in 1840 in the village of Baambrugge and did replace the original mill on the same spot. The miller ‘Vorderman’ was one of the well known families of Apeldoorn.

    Directions
    Address: Marleweg 64, Wenum
    Directions: www.viamichelin.com
    Accessible by car or bike.

    Related to:
    • Cycling
    • Road Trip

    Was this review helpful?

  • vtveen's Profile Photo

    Radio Kootwijk – former transmitting station

    by vtveen Updated Aug 20, 2013

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Radio Kootwijk -
    4 more images

    After World War I a huge transmitting station was built on the shifting-sands of Kootwijk. In the beginning there was nothing but sand and woods. Of course the station needed workers and so a 'whole' village did arise with houses and even a hotel; all in the middle of nowhere, about 15 km’s west of Apeldoorn.
    This station was necessary to ensure reliable communications between the Netherlands and its overseas territories.

    At the end of the last century new technical developments did make this kind of transmitters redundant. Most of the buildings and the masts were pulled down, but the main building was saved. This huge concrete building - officially 'Gebouw A' - is commonly called "de Kathedraal" (the Cathedral) and was and is the landmark of Radio Kootwijk; an important piece of industrial history.

    The settlement has also a water tower - with a height of almost 38 meters - from the same architect as the 'Cathedral': J.M. Luthmann. Water was used for cooling the transmitting station ans as drinkwater for the inhabitants.

    The historical buildings are now owned by 'Staatsbosbeheer' (a government institution), which will redeveloped the buildings and surrounding nature.

    In Radio Kootwijk you still can see the houses of the workers. Some of them in rows, whose corner houses were occupied by the bosses. Detached houses were destined for a doctor and the director of the transmitting station.
    Opposite the row of houses, just on a triangle of roads, are two small monuments, as reminders of the transmitting history of the village.

    Directions
    Radio Kootwijk is only accessible by car or bike.
    see: www.viamichelin.com

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Hiking and Walking
    • Cycling

    Was this review helpful?

  • vtveen's Profile Photo

    Kootwijk – small village on the Veluwe

    by vtveen Updated Aug 20, 2013

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Kootwijk:  'Brink' - centre of the village
    4 more images

    Most probably Kootwijk ('cote' = sheep fold / 'wick' = area) used to have a lot of sheep folds. But nowadays there is just a sculpture of some sheep on the square in the centre of this small village. On the same (green) square you will find a very old church. It is said it has been build in the 17th century: simple but impressive.

    Besides these two sights Kootwijk is an ideal starting point for exploring one of the biggest shifting sand dunes in Europe: Kootwijkerzand (see special tip) and making a walk or bike tour through the lovely surrounding area.

    Kootwijk has a couple of camping grounds, holiday park and a hotel/cafe/restaurant 't Hilletje.

    Directions
    about 15 km's west of Apeldoorn;
    see www.viamichelin.com

    Related to:
    • Cycling
    • Hiking and Walking
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

Instant Answers: Apeldoorn

Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers

113 travelers online now

Comments

Apeldoorn Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Apeldoorn off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Apeldoorn sightseeing.

View all Apeldoorn hotels