Devil's House - Duivelshuis, Arnhem
Only made some pictures of the facade. The house once belonged to Charles II, Duke of Guelders and Count of Zutphen, and afterwards to his field marshal Maarten van Rossum. Today it forms part of the Arnhem town hall. The name 'Devil's House' derives from the satyrs that can be found on the facade.
This historic building stood next to the town hall. The house has been owned since 1518 by Duke Charles of Gelre. After his death the house was sold to Maarten van Rossum, the commander of Charles of Gelre. In 1543 rebuilt and received its official name; "House of Maarten van Rossum." In 1575 the family sold the house Rossum and since that time it is therefore in the hands of several owners have been. The Devil's House has served for a while as a town house but this was short-lived. In the 19th century many original facets restored.
Since 1830, the mayors control the city from the Devil's House and, built in the nineties of the 19th century, complex. In the early 20th century the building was too small for the expanding civil service and the necessary facilities. During the Second World War, the back building went up in flames and the Devil's House itself suffered severe damage. Is one of historical buildings in Arnhem where you enjoy strolling in the city with so many beautiful historical around
Mysterious and a gloomy building named Duivelshuis or “Devil’s House”.
The basement of this building served as temporary prison for captured British parachutists during Oparation Market Garden in September 1944. A German MG team was also positioned here. Today, there are still bullet holes in the building.
This house is on the right hand corner of the square on Walburgstraat. This bulding miraculously survived the war.
The residence of army commander Maarten van Rossum, whose statue stands atop of the building.
Maarten van Rossum was a cruel man. This warlord in the service of the duke of Gelre had no ethical problems when it came to massmurder, raping and pillaging (don't worry; he was one of the good guys so it's really OK, eh Mr. B.?). But, not unusual for the age of Renaissance, he was also a man with an outstanding taste. This palace he had built for himself is one of the earliest examples of Renaissance architecture in the Netherlands. It's named Duivelshuis (devils' house) after the many small sculptures of devils that brighten up the facades.
The DUIVELHUIS(Devil House) is part of city hall, where marriage ceremonies can take place.
The DUIVELHUIS(Devil House), built in 1545, is now part of city hall. It got it's name because of the gargoyles that are flanking the door opening.