Nijmegen Restaurants

Pannenkoekenboot Nijmegen
    Pancakeboat Nijmegen
    Mr Jacks Nijmegen

Best Rated Restaurants in Nijmegen

• Mezzo: Why don't they all have this on the menu!!!

by Warts Written Jun 4, 2004

"Modern European Cooking". That's what they wrote on the wall. It's a good description. The food is different and diverse.
    I really love the bouillebaisse, Thai fish curry and the salmon on tagliatelle with noilly-prat sauce. The people are real friendly and the prices are below average. The ambience is modern, but not "up-tight". The toilets are really clean; which isn't unimportant. They recently rebuild the place; with success. It looks great.

Favorite Dish: I really love the bouillebaisse; a French fich soup. Abit spicy but with lots of (shell-)fish.
    The salmon on tagliatelle with Noilly-Prat sauce is quit special. You even get a small starter for free, besides the home-baked bread. The portions are actually too big.

• Business Travel

Uylenspieghel: The typical Nijmeegs restaurant

by danitsja_nl Written Sep 8, 2003

Uylenspieghel

This restaurant is one of the typical Nijmegen restaurants. It’s special because of the unique Nijmegen ambiance…. Kids will love it! From the moment you enter you will feel like going back in time. There is so much to see like the stained –glass window. There is enough space for the little once under us, they can walk around and if they choose to have child menu they may make their own dessert in the kitchen! Please pay attention to the menu card that will be placed on a chair next to you.

If you want to finish your Nijmegen visit with a dinner, this is my number one advice.

Favorite Dish: I think the the whole dessert card is my Favorite

• danitsja_nl's Profile Photo

Weet je wel: Coffee and especially the apple pie Yummy!

by danitsja_nl Written Jul 15, 2004

A nice restaurant! Very good balance between price and quality!

Favorite Dish: If you are doing a city walk Weet je wel is the best place for a cup of coffee with home made apple pie. This is a coffee house you will only find if are leaving the shopping streets. Except of coffee they offer a small breakfast, lunch and dinner card. The service is great same for the cookery!

• Pavlik_NL's Profile Photo

Restaurant "Belvedere": Exclusive dinner with a view

by Pavlik_NL Updated Nov 15, 2003

Historical location for exclusive food.

On one of the most particular places within the Nijmegen centre-area one has the possibility to have dinner. Enetring the town from the North and crossing the bridge, one sees it immediately. On top of the hill is a towershaped building, which used to be a citywall tower and is now-a-days a very exclusive (and expensive) restuarant. At least you get a spectacular view over the bridge, the river and the flowerbed included.

I scream, for Ice-Cream!

by danitsja_nl Written Sep 14, 2003

Merano

Well I will let you in on my little secret…. I love to eat ice cream! And if you love it to I advice you to try one of the scoops from Merano. It is an Italian restaurant on the Lange Hezelstraat.

Tip: If you get addicted you can buy 1 litre boxes ( : Filled with the flavours of your choice.

• ptitetoile's Profile Photo

De Kluizenaar: Tango Kroeg

by ptitetoile Written Mar 31, 2004

This cafe was one of the cafe where the "kroegentocht" of the DobleOcho festival was organised. The atmosphere there was really friendly : old and kitsch decoration, a wooden bar, friendly waiters and a little room to dance at the back... I was so amazed that this neighborhood cafe had so much customers...Thus not only the tango dancers for this special occasion : I guess the sun made all the people of the neighborhood go out and enjoy spending some nice time with friends.

• ptitetoile's Profile Photo

De Kluizenaar Restaurant: Great restaurant near El Corte

by ptitetoile Written Mar 31, 2004

The restaurant belongs to the bar De Kluizenaar and you can have there the same atmosphere : a little bit of old kitsch but very warm and friendly atmosphere! My friend Corine and I were looking for a table and we shared the table of another tango couple from Utrecht (Paul & Parras) that we get to know during the meal!!!!

Favorite Dish: The vegeterian dishes are delicious ! I took the Duo Genotti and it was amazing : an original combination of nuts and pie and vegetables....

• mary2u99's Profile Photo

Cafe De Nieuwe Maan: Cafe De Nieuwe Maan

by mary2u99 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Cafe De Nieuwe Maan

This is one of the warm and friendly places that I visited. The food is delicious and the drink too. We had cheese and cold cut platter to go with our many beer and it came in a very huge serving. We tried a few type of beers.

Favorite Dish: These are some of the beers that we had:

Jever, Paulaner Hefe, La Trappe Dubbel, La Chouffe and Palm.

• Singles

Pizzeria Rotana: Rotana!

by egonwegh Updated May 15, 2007

Flyer Rotana

Pizza restaurant and take away. Definitely not an Italian, but Moroccan or maybe Turkish proprietor. Besides Italian pizzas they also do Greek salads with feta cheese, Dutch chips ("frietje waterfiets") &c. Wednesday and Saturday pizza day, some two dozen pizzas will sell for less than 5 euro apiece. By the way, talk about pieces -- most notable pieces of furniture in this restaurant: huge cigarette vending machine, and a golden clock adorned with Thuluth - or was it Kufic? - script.

Becak: Indonesian restaurant

by egonwegh Updated Feb 1, 2006

Becak business card

29 January 2006. A 'becak' is a 'man-pedaled carriage with passenger's seat facing front', says my source on the internet. A nice specimen can be found in the middle of this restaurant located on the Waalkade. Waitresses wear Indonesian 'sarongs' and the walls are decorated with bamboo and small 'wayang golek' masks. We were here for our anniversary - and also because we're planning a four week holiday to Indonesia later this year. The restaurant is closed on Mondays.

Favorite Dish: For starters, I had 'pisang goreng', that's baked banana, and Jennie had something spicy with meat. For our main course, Jennie had 'ikan' - fish, in other words - with 'bami goreng' and I had the 'babi kerry' with white rice. We both had fruits and syrup for dessert.

• Alphons's Profile Photo

Restaurants

by Alphons Updated Jul 26, 2004

Het Belvedere

There are here a lot of restaurants, you can eat Greek, Italian, Turkish, Mexican, Indian, Chinees, and a lot more. And if you like it you can eat here dutch too. Here is the Belvedere now a restaurant with a beautiful view over the river Waal and the Ooy polder.

Old Cave: Latin Party

by egonwegh Updated Nov 13, 2006

Theme party "Havana on the river Waal" with colleagues of the University Library, 9 November 2006 at the Old Cave on the Anthoniusplaats near the river Waal. My boss dressed up as an Argentinian 'gaucho'. I would have preferred spacious rooms and stunning views to this apparently medieval cellar ('Old Cave' is a very apt name!), but I did like the music and the lively atmosphere.

Favorite Dish: Food was okay, Spanish or Mexican 'tapas', e.g. potato salad, Spanish fish plate, olives, spicy meatballs (also calamares and anchovy for 'afficionados')

Valdin: Valdin

by egonwegh Updated Aug 9, 2006

With Jennie, my mum and brothers, on 30 July 2006, on the occasion of my mother's birthday. I would recommend that you take your pick from the all-in menu. You'll get to choose from ten starters, ten main courses and ten desserts, at an all-inclusive price of 30 euro, with drinks - including red and white wine - for free.

Favorite Dish: I had "carpaccio van ossenhaas met pijnboompitjes, lamstournedos met honing-tijmsaus en coupe mocca met rumsaus" (translation pending ...). Good food and friendly waiters. Be prepared to wait an awful long time in between courses though, as every course took about one hour, quite uncommon in the Netherlands. A good thing we didn't bring our hyperactive weekend foster child along with us.

Gandhi: Indian tandoori & curry restaurant

by egonwegh Updated Dec 6, 2005

Gandhi restaurant leaflet

Pleasant atmosphere, Indian music, quiet restaurant. Also take away at 15 percent discount. One of the reasons for going to a restaurant was that Jennie passed her exam, and it had to be an Indian restaurant because I had just finished a translation assignment - Dutch into English - that came from an Indian agency ...

Favorite Dish: We had the "Akbari" three course menu for two persons - small, spicy sausages for starters, chicken and salmon, rice, salad, mushrooms and bread as our main course, and mango ice cream and coffee for dessert.

• egonwegh's Profile Photo

Kandinsky: Some coffee and toasted bread

by egonwegh Updated Jul 30, 2007

Nijmegen, Waalkade, Kandinsky cafe

On the river front, the Waalkade, in Nijmegen. Excellent view across the river Waal.

Favorite Dish: Here you can get some coffee/cappuccino or some beer and a quick lunch. Last time we were here, we had some coffee and toasted bread with ham and cheese. Very friendly service.

The text on the yellow sign in this picture says "bicycles will be removed" ...

Instant Answers: Nijmegen

Comments

Nijmegen Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Nijmegen restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Nijmegen sightseeing.