Fun things to do in Nijmegen

  • Gunpowder Tower from the Rondeel
    Gunpowder Tower from the Rondeel
    by johngayton
  • Nijmegen Waal Road Bridge
    Nijmegen Waal Road Bridge
    by vichatherly
  • Nijmegen Market Square
    Nijmegen Market Square
    by vichatherly

Most Viewed Things to Do in Nijmegen

  • egonwegh's Profile Photo

    Quack Monument

    by egonwegh Updated Nov 27, 2012

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The Quack Monument - officially Marie Adolf Fountain. Also known under all kinds of unofficial, dirty names ...
    The monument was removed from its spot and hidden by the Council for many, many years under the pretext that no place could be found for it due to the reconstruction of some nearby streets. But then they tried the same location once again after several decades, and lo and behold! the monument was erected once again....

    On an early Sunday morning, 20 July 2008, we walked past the fountain and saw water spilling out of one of the water basins. Several buckets full of water had already flown towards the Tunnelweg. Upon closer inspection, we found that the water circulation had been obstructed by a single leaf from one of the nearby trees. Well, that was a problem that even we - with our very limited DIY skills - could easily deal with!

    Marie Adolf Fountain / Quack monument
    Related to:
    • Arts and Culture

    Was this review helpful?

  • Pijlmans's Profile Photo

    Museum Het Valkhof

    by Pijlmans Updated May 2, 2012

    The Valkhof Museum is certainly worth a visit.

    It houses a large and interesting archeological collection, with many artifacts from Roman times.

    There's also a collection of classic and modern art, mainly paintings.

    Opening times and prices (2012)
    Tuesday-Sunday 11.00-17.00
    Adults: 8 euro
    6-12 years: 4 euro

    See the website for up-to-date information.

    Unfortunately for foreigners, most of the information in the museum was in Dutch.

    Museum Het Valkhof Museum Het Valkhof

    Was this review helpful?

  • Pijlmans's Profile Photo

    Vogelhofje

    by Pijlmans Written May 2, 2012

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Vogelhofje means as much as "birds courtyard".

    One wall is completely covered with little bird houses.

    The surrounding gardens are very well kept and not suprisingly there were a lot of birds, mostly sparrows, playing around.

    You'll have to look a bit around to find it, it is behind a gate that is closed at night.

    Vogelhofje Vogelhofje

    Was this review helpful?

  • Pijlmans's Profile Photo

    Street Art

    by Pijlmans Written May 2, 2012

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Just below the Valkhof, at the end of the street "Waalkade", there is this intriguing composition of a person sitting on a toilet in a destroyed bathroom.

    It is at the end of the block where also the bike-museum Velorama and the museum De Stratemakerstoren can be found.

    Street Art Street Art Street Art Street Art Street Art

    Was this review helpful?

  • Pijlmans's Profile Photo

    Museum De Stratemakerstoren

    by Pijlmans Written May 1, 2012

    Small museum in a 16th century defense tower.

    The name translates to "road-workers tower" but the origin of this name is not clear.

    The subterranean corridors make this an exciting experience for young and old.

    Entrance about 4 euro, see the website for up-to-date information.

    Museum De Stratemakerstoren Museum De Stratemakerstoren Museum De Stratemakerstoren Museum De Stratemakerstoren Museum De Stratemakerstoren
    Related to:
    • Museum Visits

    Was this review helpful?

  • egonwegh's Profile Photo

    Roman biking route

    by egonwegh Updated Aug 7, 2011

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Why not follow the Roman route on bike? It will take you trough parts of the town of Nijmegen, but also to the countryside, Groesbeek, and even into the province of Limburg (St. Jansberg & Plasmolen). One of the first sights you will come across is this replica of a Roman pillar, called the Keizerzuil.

    Nijmegen, replica of Emperors Pillar (Eikstraat)
    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Arts and Culture

    Was this review helpful?

  • pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

    Donjon

    by pieter_jan_v Updated Sep 13, 2010

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The Donjon was Nijmegen highest building for centuries. Build as a part of the Valkhof castle is was the main point of reconnessance and defence. The high tower had no gates and even no windows on the first floor. People entered by ladders that where retracked inside the tower. The original tower dates from around 1100. Inside there was a huge storage of food and drinks.

    In 1796 the tower was wrecked.

    From July 2005 a temporary Donjon has been rebuild to collect money. From the 33 meter plateau top you have a great lookoff.

    Visiting hours:
    Daily: 10AM - 6PM (weather permittent)

    Admission: Euro 2.00

    UPDATE: The temporary Donjon was closed in October 2006. We will have to wait till a real stone Donjon will be rebuild and open to the public

    Donjon top
    Related to:
    • Castles and Palaces
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

    Waalbrug (Wall river bridge)

    by pieter_jan_v Updated Sep 13, 2010

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    In 1931 the dissicion was made to build a new bridge at Nijmegen. That wasn't easy because for the ramp a part of the city has to be changed drasticly. Five years later Queen Wilhelmina opened the 244 meter long bridge (604 meters in total), the biggest at that time in Europe. In 1943 traffic resumed over the bridge.
    Since 2001 it's a national monument.

    Waalbrug - Nijmegen
    Related to:
    • Road Trip
    • Architecture
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • egonwegh's Profile Photo

    Museumpark Orientalis

    by egonwegh Updated Jul 20, 2010

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Exhibitions related to daily life in Palestine and the Arab world in biblical times, but the museum also has a keen interest in the present and the dialogue between different faiths. The museum is closed at present (July 2010) but expects to reopen in 2012.

    They also do theme parties, with fellow workers from the University Library we participated in a Roman theme party. Tactical manoeuvres with spears in the forest nearby and dinner afterwards. Here you can see us in front of a reconstructed Roman temple building. I'm third in the leftmost row behind my 'optio' who also happens to be the head of my department in our library.

    Roman theme party at Museumpark Orientalis
    Related to:
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • vichatherly's Profile Photo

    German Gun

    by vichatherly Updated Oct 10, 2009

    You'll find this gun, pointing towards the road bridge, at the base of the Belvedere.

    This German 50mm ant-tank Panzerabwehr Kanone 38 is a relic of the fierce fighting for the Waal road bridge in September 1944.

    German 50mm ant-tank Panzerabwehr Kanone 38
    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Photography
    • Road Trip

    Was this review helpful?

  • vichatherly's Profile Photo

    Hunnerpark Time Capsule

    by vichatherly Written Oct 10, 2009

    This time capsule contains information on the WWII Operation Market Garden and was sealed in September 1974. It is due to be opened in September 2044.

    It is in a raised, circular area, surrounded by a small brick wall.

    Hunnerpark Time Capsule
    Related to:
    • Photography
    • Road Trip
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • vichatherly's Profile Photo

    Belvedere Observation Point

    by vichatherly Written Oct 10, 2009

    The original Belvedere, forming part of the old city walls, was built in the 15th Century. Today it is a restaurant.

    From the observation point outside you get a great view of the Nijmegen Waal Road Bridge. To the left of its span the spire of Lent can be seen over the river. To the right, on the horizon the Arnhem TV Tower at Den Brink, can be seen on a clear day.

    Belvedere Observation Point Nijmegen Waal Road Bridge
    Related to:
    • Road Trip
    • Photography
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • vichatherly's Profile Photo

    Nijmegen Waal Road Bridge

    by vichatherly Updated Oct 10, 2009

    This was the major part of our visit to Nijmegen. To visit the bridge and see where the famous river crossing was made.

    What struck me was the sheer size of the bridge and the fast flowing river.

    This bridge across the Waal was built in 1936 and played an important part on Operation Market Garden. The bridge was held by the Germans and it was stopping the Allies from reaching the beleaguered British Airborne troops in Arnhem.

    It was decided that the bridge would be taken from both ends. Sergeant Peter Robinson and his troop of British Grenadiers crossed the bridge around 18:30 on Wednesday 20th September 1944. The Americans attacked the bridge from the other end after crossing the Waal in canvas boats. The task was given to Major Julian A Cook’s 3rd Battalion 504the PIR. Six times the crossing was made between the start and 19:00 and heavy casualties were suffered.

    Unfortunately, even though the bridge was successfully taken by the allies the tanks of XXX Corp could still not carry on to rescue the men at Arnhem.

    Nijmegen Waal Road Bridge Nijmegen Waal Road Bridge Nijmegen Waal Road Bridge Memorial Plaque to the Grenadier Guards
    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Photography
    • Road Trip

    Was this review helpful?

  • egonwegh's Profile Photo

    Village pump

    by egonwegh Updated Mar 1, 2009

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Didn't know until now that we had one of these: it is our own village pump and 'fire extinguisher' (1747) on Kelfkensbos, right next to the museum Het Valkhof. It was placed on Kelfkensbos when a natural well had to be filled in, moved to several other sites in the course of time, and restored on this spot in 1999. It has a bronze tap with an animal's head and it is decorated with the coat of arms of mayors Jacobus Vos and Matthys van der Lynden , the pump was probably made by the stone mason Johannes Dense.

    Nijmegen, village pump on Kelfkensbos
    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Arts and Culture

    Was this review helpful?

  • egonwegh's Profile Photo

    Courtyard of the Carmel Convent

    by egonwegh Written Mar 1, 2009

    Courtyard of the former Carmel Convent on Doddendaal by architects C. Pouderoyen en J.G. Deur (1951). A cloister that closely resembles other cloisters we've seen in France and Italy. Students now live in the 'cells' surrounding this courtyard.

    Nijmegen, courtyard of the Carmel convent
    Related to:
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

Nijmegen Hotels

See all 16 Hotels in Nijmegen

Latest Nijmegen Hotel Reviews

Hotel Catharina
1 Review & Opinion
Amrath Hotel Belvoir
42 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 31, 2014
Mercure Nijmegen Centre
141 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 16, 2014
Hotel Atlanta
15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 17, 2014
De Prince - De Amuse
27 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 14, 2014
Scandic Hotel Sanadome Nijmegen
59 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 16, 2014
Apollo Hotel
21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 26, 2014
Sionshof
5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 21, 2013
Hotel Courage
26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 8, 2014

Instant Answers: Nijmegen

Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers

101 travelers online now

Comments

Nijmegen Things to Do

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Nijmegen locals.
Map of Nijmegen