Fun things to do in Provincie Gelderland

  • Burgers ZOO
    Burgers ZOO
    by JuliaMac
  • Raadhuis Overloking Its Square
    Raadhuis Overloking Its Square
    by johngayton
  • The Modern Replacement
    The Modern Replacement
    by johngayton

Most Viewed Things to Do in Provincie Gelderland

  • vtveen's Profile Photo

    Vaassen – Daams’ Mill

    by vtveen Updated Apr 16, 2015

    Daams’ mill (Daams Molen) is dating back to the year of 1870 for Derk Poll Jonker. In 1883 he passed the mill on to his brother-in-law Herman Daams. From the beginning it was a flour mill, which changed hands several times. Till 1934 the mill was used, but the same year Daams’Mill fell out of use and became a feed mill, which lasted till 1964. Due to neglect, its condition deteriorated to the point where the municipality considered demolishing the mill.

    Restoration of Daams’Mill started in 1989 and one year later on the National Mill Day it was ready to grind again. The mill is a so called octagonal ‘stellingmolen’ (smock mill). The ‘stelling’ is indicating the gallery or platform constructed around the tower, so the miller can adjust the sails into the wind.

    In 2012 the mill was raised with almost 5 metres. This raising was necessary to ensure enough wind for the mill, due to the so called ‘wind rights’. The ‘old’ mill was transported to the other side of the road. After the new floor was built the mill removed again to its original spot.

    This new ground floor houses a tea- and coffee room and a tourist information point. And nowadays Daams’ Mill can be considered the ‘turning heart’ of Vaassen. Daams’Mill can be visited during the opening hours of ‘Koffie- en Theehuys De Korenmolen’ or/and when a miller is on the spot for a complete guided tour. (see www. koffie-entheehuysdekorenmolen.nl)

    Daams' Mill The mill seen from the centre of Vaassen Daams' Mill, so called 'kruirad Interior with the so called 'maalkoppel'
    Related to:
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • vtveen's Profile Photo

    Vaassen - Castle Cannenburgh

    by vtveen Written Apr 13, 2015

    We always like to visit ‘Castle Cannenburgh’ in the village of Vaassen, less than 10 km’s north of Apeldoorn. It is a real old castle, already built in the 15th century by Marshal Marten van Rossem. This classic castle, surrounded by a moat, has still the spirit of a medieval place with its old brick walls.

    The castle can be vistied and you will be impressed by the interior with lots of furniture, paintings and porcelain, all showed to the visitors in several rooms. It is just like ‘Marten van Rossem’ may enter one of them any moment. The tour will bring you to the chapel, a library, living- and bedrooms and the dark and creepy cellars.

    Next to the castle lies a beautiful park with a couple of ponds.

    You will find also a gift shop and an information center. There is also a café restaurant ('t Koetshuis) with a nice terrace. Great to have your coffee/tea, lunch or dinner with a view of this lovely castle.

    Information
    Opening hours and entrance fee: see website

    Castle Cannenburgh Marten van Rossem, waiting for visitors Castle Cannenburgh - details Castle Cannenburgh, seen from Vaassen Castle Cannenburgh
    Related to:
    • Castles and Palaces

    Was this review helpful?

  • vtveen's Profile Photo

    Winterswijk- Mondriaan and textile

    by vtveen Written Mar 28, 2015

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    We did a town walk in Winterswijk (in the most eastern part of the Netherlands). If I had to sum up the walk it will be characterized by two things: ‘Mondriaan’ and ‘textile”.

    Mondriaan
    The famous Dutch painter spent a substantial part of his youth in Winterswijk, where his father was teacher at a local school. Here he painted more realistic works like landscape paintings, portraits, still lives and paintings of Winterswijk.
    - Mondriaanwijzer: showing all the places where he lived and worked
    - Piet Mondriaan monument: recalling the fact that Piet Mondrian grew up in Winterswijk from 1880 to 1892
    - Mondriaan window: the place where Mondriaan painted Winterswijk
    - Mondriaanhuis: the former house where Piet and his family lived; nowadays it is a museum showing his early work
    - Nieuwstraat; Mondriaan often worked in this narrow street; reproductions of his paintings hang on the walls of the small houses

    Textile
    From 1870 the town became a centre for textiles, such as spinning and weaving; the textile industry had its heyday in the 20s of the last century and made a new revival after World War II. The rather small town had about 10 different textile factories.
    - Tricot: renovated textile factory of Gerrit Jan Willink, dating back to 1890; de factory chimney is still proudly pointing in the air
    - The villa of Gerrit Jan Willink
    - Several houses of staff members of the textile factories
    - Original brick gate to the factory ‘De Batavier’
    - Artwork showing several aspects of the textile industry
    - Railway station at the end of a railway line which was built primarily for the textile industry

    Monuments walk
    We came across all these sights and views during our ‘Monuments walk’. That’s a walk of 5 km through Winterswijk along 49 monuments (or better ‘points of interest’); seven of them are a socalled QR-point , providing more info on your smartphone. The monuments vary from the impressive 12th century Jacobskerk, through an old cemetery, synagogue, till the narrowest and oldest house in town. The walk lead you also through some shopping streets and there are plenty cafes/restaurants for a drink.
    The local Tourist Office (signposted VVV) offers a booklet with a map and a lot of information about the monuments.
    Really don’t know if it is available in foreign languages.

    Mondriaan window Tricot, factory chimney Mondriaanhuis, nowadays museum Gate to the factory ���De Batavier' Mondriaanwijzer
    Related to:
    • Hiking and Walking
    • Architecture
    • Arts and Culture

    Was this review helpful?

  • vtveen's Profile Photo

    Vorden - Eight Castles Route

    by vtveen Updated Mar 16, 2015

    The Eight Castles Route is the first signposted cycle route in the Netherlands and has existed since 1913. It was developed to celebrate 100 years of Kingdom of the Netherlands. The route is well signposted with yellow hexagonal plates. The local tourist office (VVV) has a nice booklet with a description and map of the bike ride.

    The cycle route passes through the countryside of Vorden along fields, meadows and forest, As the name says you will pass 8 castles (some of them seem more manors), many farms, one watermill and one windmill. Catering along the route is quite scarce, especially outside the summer season (as we noticed during our last trip end of October).

    The tour starts in Vorden (it is possible to rent bicycles: Profile Bleumink, Dorpstraat 12) and follows quiet rural roads, cycle paths (sometimes unpaved) and a few forest trails. The renewed Eight Castles Route with a length of 36 km is as flat as a pancake. It takes about 2 1/2 hours biking without stops.

    Most of the eight castles are still inhabited and therefore not open for visitors. The surrounding estates are often accessible for hikers. Some of the castles open their gardens on special occasions.

    The eight castles (in order of the bike trip):
    - Castle Hackfort: marked trail's, beautiful watermill
    - Castle Den Bramel: nice surrounding estate
    - Castle De Wildenborch: gardens a couple of times a year open to the public
    - Castle De Wiersse: visible from a distance, gardens are open several times a year; in the summer season guided tours inside the castle
    - Castle Het Medler: visible from very far away
    - Castle Het Onstein: visible from a distance
    - Castle Kieftskamp: visible from a distance
    - Castle Vorden: located nearby the village of Vorden, nowadays a hote, can be visited.

    Achtkastelen route Castle Hackfort Castle Den Bramel Castle De Wildenborch Castle Vorden
    Related to:
    • Cycling
    • Castles and Palaces
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • vtveen's Profile Photo

    Berg en Dal: a little bit of Africa in a museum

    by vtveen Written Dec 27, 2014

    ’Afrika Museum’ in Berg en Dal (nearby Nijmegen) was founded in 1954 as a missionary museum, supported by the Congregation of the Holy Spirit, whose members worked (and still work) in Africa.
    The first exhibition was made up of objects that have been brought in by the priests themselves from Africa during their various mission travelings.
    Nowadays the museum has evolved into an independent institution, although early 2014 it has merged with two other Dutch museums into the ‘Nationaal Museum van Wereldculturen’ (National Museum of World Cultures). The ‘Afrika Museu’will still use its own name and focusing on Africa.

    One can divide the museum in two parts: an indoor museum and an outdoor museum. We visited on Boxing Day and had to concentrate on the indoor part. The museum is not that huge and we in a couple of rooms we saw pieces of traditional and modern African art, which were beautifully displayed.

    Being a hobby photographer we were lucky to run into two temporary exhibitions about photography. One was called ‘Cuba Mi Amor’ and the other one showed the amazing (sometimes huge) pictures of the famous Jimmy Nelson.

    We could visit the outdoor part of the museum and walked along some of the different African villages and houses. But everything was closed and there were no activities, so it was not very interesting. We have to come back - summer season - for this part of the museum.

    The ‘Afrika Museum’ has a small shop with jewelries, books, postcards, art and so on.
    Just outside the museum a small/basic self service cafe/restaurant offers drinks and snacks.

    Information
    Opening hours, entrance fee and location: see website.
    Website: Dutch, English and German

    The museum is not that big and I only would recommend a visit when travelling/visiting nearby ‘Berg en Dal’.

    Afrika Museum - entrance African art African art Jimmy Nelson - portraits Kusasi (Ghana) village
    Related to:
    • Arts and Culture
    • Museum Visits

    Was this review helpful?

  • vtveen's Profile Photo

    Vorden - Wildenborch:thousands of winter aconites

    by vtveen Updated Nov 20, 2014

    The Wildenborch is a castle between the villages of Vorden and Lochem.
    The castle was first mentioned in the year of 1372, when it was owned by the infamous Count Sweder Rodebaert van Wisch, a knight who loved robbing and looting. The Wildenborch (“castle in a wild swamp region”) was surrounded by swamps and was an ideal hideout after raids in the surrounding areas.

    Another famous resident of castle Wildenborch was the Dutch poet Anthony Christiaan Staring (1767-1840). The family still provides opportunities for historical and literary research. The estate is accessible, but the house – still inhabited - is closed to the public (except during the annual Staring Nights).

    The lovely gardens of the Wildenborch are open for the public a couple of times a year. We visited during a grey and gloomy Sunday afternoon, especially to see the blooming winter aconites (and snow drops). We followed a signposted walk along thousands and thousand of these little yellow and white flowers. We never had seen these aconites and were really surprised by their beauty.
    At the same time there is a chance to get a glimpse of the back of the castle. At the end of the walk one can have a cup of tea or coffee in the (old) coach house of the Wildenborch.

    Despite the weather it was a very pleasant walk and we will come back another time when the weather is (much) better.

    Castle Wildenborch is one of the eight castles in and around Vorden.

    Opening hours
    The gardens of the Wildenborch are open three times a year:
    - late February/begin March for the winter aconites and snow drops
    - mid May, for a garden with spring flowers; there is also a market with regional products
    - late August, for summer flowers.

    See for dates (and admission fee their website (in Dutch only).

    De Wildenborch: winter aconites De Wildenborch with its remarkable 'tower'. Back of 'De Wildenborch' Common snowdrops at De Wildenborch Yellow winter aconites,mixed with white snow drops
    Related to:
    • Castles and Palaces
    • Hiking and Walking
    • Eco-Tourism

    Was this review helpful?

  • vtveen's Profile Photo

    Apeldoorn - a royal town

    by vtveen Written Nov 20, 2014

    The royal history of Apeldoorn started in the year 1684, when King Stadtholder Willem III bought a castle close to the town (now called "Het Oude Loo"). Soon he considered it as too small and ordered to build a new "Palace Het Loo".

    Palace Het Loo
    Nowadays a National Museum which shows a lot of the history of our royal family and the inhabitants of the palace with decorated rooms, furniture, paintings and hunting trophies. The renewed gardens are also worth a visit.

    Het Oude Loo
    This is the old hunting castle, next to the more well-known Palace Het Loo; most probably already built in the 16th century. Nowadays it is used by the Dutch royal family for ceremonies and to accommodate visitors. The castle itself is closed for public. But the gardens (with lots of rhododendrons and azalea's) around the castle are open for public in April and May.

    The Paleispark (Park of the Palace)
    This is part of the so called 'Kroondomein Het Loo', a large forest behind the Palace Het Loo. The Paleispark was used by the royal family for walks and hunting. There is also a bathhouse on the shore of one of the romantic lakes. Everywhere are small streams and wells.

    Elsewhere in Apeldoorn are a lot of other reminders of the royal family.
    For instance the "Grote Kerk" is one of the oldest and largest churches in Apeldoorn and was and is a 'royal' church. Former Queen Wilhelmina often went to the Grote Kerk and nowadays there are still royal weddings and christening ceremonies. In front of the church is a statue of her.
    In the church is a stained window. This very colourful window is a present to Queen Beatrix from the citizens and employers of Apeldoorn as a tribute for the 25 years of being queen.

    On the main square of Apeldoorn is a statue of King William I and there is even a bike tour around the town called 'Oranjeroute'.

    For more info see my Apeldoorn page.

    Palace Het Loo Castle Het Oude Loo Paleispark Staue of Queen Wilhelmina Stained glass window in the Grote Kerk
    Related to:
    • Arts and Culture
    • Castles and Palaces
    • Museum Visits

    Was this review helpful?

  • vtveen's Profile Photo

    Voorst - Verborgen Tuinen (Hidden Gardens)

    by vtveen Written Nov 20, 2014

    Although existing more than 10 years and located in a nearby village of our hometown, we never had heard about this garden. On an arts and crafts market we got a leaflet of the (officially called) “Verborgen Tuinen van Bert Loman” and decided for a visit.

    The garden, which consists of nine smaller gardens, is really hidden behind some ordinary houses along an ordinary road in the small village of Voorst. It has an area of about 1500 m2 with many different species of trees and other plants, mostly perennials (it is said there should be about 300 of them). Nooks, vistas and seats make the garden very varied and exciting.
    Walking around we were really jealous of such a beautiful and well maintained garden.

    But most stunning of the ´Verborgen Tuinen` is the combination of this varied garden with the really beautiful art objects of natural materials and flowers. These objects are made by owner Bert Loman. In the centre of the garden is a small shed and at the entrance an exposition room with fantastic nature photos (I assume this exposition will change during the season/year).

    It is possible to have a cup of coffee or tea in the garden. During our visit it was almost ‘freezing’ cold, so we didn’t use the chairs and benches for enjoying the tranquillity of this green oasis, where art and nature go hand in hand. As said the garden isn’t too big and our visit took about 45 minutes, but it was worth the (bike)ride from home.

    Information
    Opening hours: only during summer season on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday and an extra couple of Sundays from 11.00 – 16.30 hours. See also website.
    Admission: € 4,- (Nov. 2014)

    Verborgen Tuinen - entrance Verborgen Tuinen - natural art object Verborgen Tuinen - natural art object Verborgen Tuinen Verborgen Tuinen
    Related to:
    • Arts and Culture

    Was this review helpful?

  • vtveen's Profile Photo

    Staverden - just strolling around the castle

    by vtveen Written Nov 20, 2014

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Castle Staverden isn’t a real castle, but more a manor. In popular speech it is still called ‘castle’ because of its history of more than 800 years and the fact that four buildings have been built on this place. The first one was a hunting lodge used by the counts and dukes of Gelre, dating back to 1298.
    The same year Staverden became city rights - granted by German King Rudolf to count Reinout of Gelderland - and nowadays most probably is the smallest city on earth with its 40 inhabitants living in the manor and farmhouses of the estate. The present ‘castle’ was built in 1905.

    Although living rather close to this castle we never visited it till one of these lovely sunny autumn days end of October 2009. From the car park we walked in the restored 17th century garden of the castle, surrounded by a moat and a stream called ‘Staverdense Beek’. We passed the peacock statue, an ice cellar and an old grave having a tombstone with inscription ‘Leonora 1353’, before reaching the buildings existing of the former stables and the renovated house, which is not open for public.

    In another corner of the garden stand an old water mill and a barn. The water mill itself is not open for visitors, but we could come very close and had a view of the water wheel. The barn has been altered into a visitor center with all kinds of information of Castle Staverden and the estate and a small shop selling gifts and local authentic products.

    Castle and garden are surrounded by streams, a pond and old striking trees (during our ‘fall visit’ with colourful golden leaves), being part of an estate which is situated in the middle of one of the most beautiful forests of the Netherlands. We finished our stroll around Castle Staverden on the terrace of the former Orangery (since April 2009 a café/restaurant) enjoying our coffee and the beautiful entourage.

    (It is also possible to make some longer walks along marked trails - will do it during a next visit. If following the red or yellow posts you will see the white peacocks. These animals have always been kept on Castle Staverden, the reason why it is also called ‘Peacock Castle’. Dukes of Gelre used to wear the feathers on their helmets.)

    Castle Staverden Castle Staverden Castle Staverden - watermill Castle Staverden - shop/information center Castle Staverden - Orangery
    Related to:
    • National/State Park
    • Hiking and Walking
    • Castles and Palaces

    Was this review helpful?

  • vtveen's Profile Photo

    Nijbroek and its old church

    by vtveen Written Nov 20, 2014

    Nowadays Nijbroek is one of those peaceful and quiet rural villages in the Netherlands. And driving, biking or walking around it is almost unbelievable it ever had city rights and there were plans to make it a real city. Most probably it was cancelled because the city of Deventer was too close to Nijbroek.
    Nijbroek was a separate municipality until 1820, when it was merged with Voorst

    Nijbroek is located in the middle of a polder, which was reclaimed by monks in the 14th century. In 1814 the area around the village had its last flooding. Originally Nijbroek has a so called ribbon development along the Middendijk and the most historical buildings/farmhouses are standing along this dike.

    A lot of the heritage of Nijbroek can be seen when walking the so called ‘Niebroekerpad’, a signposted path through the rural landscape. See for info and a map: http://www.pressart.nl/import/assetmanager/6/2356/Niebroekerpad_folder.pdf

    At the ‘Dorpsplein’ (village square) you will find two monuments; one of them is the MKZ (Foot and Mouth Disease) monument, referring to the 2001 epidemic which took part also in this part of the Netherlands.

    By far the most important touristy site of Nijbroek is the 14th century village church. The original chapel, devoted to Saint Remigius, became in the year 1339 a Parish Church with an own pastor and was dedicated to Saint Gregory.
    The church and tower date from the 14th century and its tower was raised in the 15th century, the old belfry lapsed. The choir dates from the 15th century. In the church are remains of 15th century paintings found. The organ was built in 1816 by H. Knipscheer.
    In the early eighties of the twentieth century the church was restored.

    We visited Nijbroek on a bike trip from Apeldoorn on a sunny Sunday and it was just a pity the church was not opened for visitors (as often - Protestant - churches are closed for visitors in the Netherlands). In the meantime I had a phone call with one of the volunteers of the church and heard it is only open during services, special events and by appointment (Mw. H.T.Hilbrink 0571-291885). You also could ask some of the locals to help you around.
    I will try to visit again as soon as possible and add pics of the interior.

    Nijbroek - 'city center' Nijbroek - church Nijbroek - church tower Nijbroek: MKZ (Foot and Mouth disease) Monument
    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Arts and Culture
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • vtveen's Profile Photo

    Middachten Castle – romantic Christmas feeling

    by vtveen Written Nov 20, 2014

    Castle Middachten was first mentioned in 1190 and originally a reinforced house with moats and thick walls, where the residents could feel relatively safe during attacks. The castle boasts a strategic location between the high Veluwezoom and the low swampland in a loop of the river Ijssel.
    Castle Middachten has never been sold and has been inherited by both male and female lines and has been in the hands of the Steenre, Raesfelt, Reede, Bentinck and nowadays Ortenburg families.

    Castle Middachten can be visited a couple of times a year, but I would strongly recommend a visit during Christmas time (around mid December). The Ortenburg family opens their ‘home’. After paying the entrance fee we first visited the castle and enjoyed the nicely decorated rooms on the ground floor and the impressive stairwell with beautiful woodcarvings and stucco on the dome.
    We were welcomed by the sounds of a harp player. Rooms had Christmas trees in different styles and other decorations, flowers and the originally interior with lots of paintings, antique furniture, pottery and a festively laid table in the dining room was (almost) inviting us for a diner.

    We had a coffee in the basement of the castle, which also offered a couple of ‘shops’ with authentic souvenirs from Middachten.
    Afterwards we walked along the booths of the Christmas fair in the former stables of the castle, which is rather small, but offering nice gifts and decorations. There is also a stand with ‘Glühwein” and hot chocolate and a local bakery was selling cookies and other delicacies.

    We left rather early and missed the burning candles in and around the castle, which must cause an even more romantic Christmas feeling at Middachten Castle.

    Information
    The castle and gardens are also open during the summer season; for exact opening hours see the website (Middachten even offers a possibility of ‘bed and breakfast’).

    For admission fees and guided tours see website.

    Middachten Castle - Christmas time Middachten Castle - Christmas decoration Middachten Castle - entrance Middachten Castle - Christmas fair Middachten Castle - Gl��hwein booth
    Related to:
    • Castles and Palaces

    Was this review helpful?

  • vtveen's Profile Photo

    Loenen waterfall: the highest of the Netherlands

    by vtveen Written Nov 20, 2014

    As Gelderland is rather flat, there are not many waterfalls in streams and rivers in the Netherlands. But not far away of Apeldoorn you will find the ‘Niagara of the Veluwe’. This waterfall in the so called ‘Vrijenbergspreng’ has a fall of 15 metres (in 4 steps). As a matter of fact there is a second waterfall upstream with two steps and about 10 metres high.

    Both waterfalls are situated in a ‘spreng’, which is a dug water course. These man made artificial brooks on the Veluwe stream for kilometres from a dug spring with groundwater to the end, usually another (natural) river or canal.
    It is rather easily to recognise these ‘sprengen’: in the beginning (near the artificial spring) having often steep and deep slopes and always being as straight as possible

    The ‘Vrijenbergspreng’ - with the two waterfalls - was dug in 1825 and the water flew into the ‘Apeldoorns Kanaal’ to keep the water level high enough for shipping traffic. It has a length of about 6 km’s ands flows through a beautiful landscape.

    Waterfall of Loenen Waterfall of Loenen: 15 metres high The smaller waterfall, upstream the 'spreng' 'Spreng':artificial stream - deep and steep slopes Waterfall of Loenen: car park
    Related to:
    • Hiking and Walking

    Was this review helpful?

  • vtveen's Profile Photo

    Klein Amsterdam - the other Amsterdam

    by vtveen Updated Nov 19, 2014

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Klein Amsterdam means 'Little Amsterdam'.

    Almost every tourist to the Netherlands will visit Amsterdam, but I think nobody ever has been to 'Klein Amsterdam'. And even my fellow countrymen hardly know where to find 'KA'. So it is rather challenging to visit both Amsterdam and Klein Amsterdam while visting the Netherlands and Gelderland.

    Although many cities in the Netherlands call themself 'Little Amsterdam' there is just one small hamlet, which has the official name of 'Klein Amstrerdam' and it has also some real signs with its name.

    In all respects it is a completely different world between 'Klein Amsterdam' and her big sister. In a very rural setting between the villages of Klarenbeek, Voorst and Hall do live 30 families with a total of just 100 people and there is just one shop. The settlement is concentrated in a triangle of roads: Heuvelderweg, Gravenstraat and Diederikweg.
    Nobody could tell me why this settlement is called 'Klein Amsterdam'. Most likely some people from Amsterdam have lived here in the past, who have disappeared later.

    Just outside the settlement - follow the 'Diederikweg' and 'Weg over het Hondsveld' for a couple of hundred metres - is a 'farm' De Hommel, where coffee and (high)tea is served. Perfect place to relax in a beautiful garden. Opening hours: March till October - 10.00 till 19.00 hours. (www.koffiehommel.nl)

    Klein Amsterdam: street sign Klein Amsterdam: rural setting Klein Amsterdam: shopping area De Hommel for coffee and (high) tea

    Was this review helpful?

  • vtveen's Profile Photo

    ‘s Heerenberg - Castle ‘Huis Bergh’

    by vtveen Written Nov 18, 2014

    Just outside the town of ‘s Heerenberg, close to the border with Germany, we found on one of our bike trips through Gelderland Castle ‘Huis Bergh’. This castle is supposed to be one of the biggest and most important castles in my country. Its history goes back to the 13th century; the most important parts of the castle, still existing today, date from the 14th, 15th and 17th century.
    The castle has been destroyed a couple of times, but each time it has been restored; for the last time in the year of 1941. In that time the castle belonged to mister J.H. van Heek, a very rich industrialist.

    Inside
    The castle is famous for its art collection (mainly early Italian paintings, a lot of historical portraits ), weapon room, an exhibition of the Bergh mint and much more, among them. We could visit the castle on our own and there were room stewards to explain the many treasures we saw. For temporary expositions and special events (for instance around Christmas time) see website.
    The (main) opening hours are: May – October: 12.30 – 4.30 pm. Also during some school holidays.
    Entrance admission (Nov. 2014): adults € 10,- and children € 6,-. See for further information their website.

    The old Mint House can only be visited by groups, so we just saw the outside of this building.

    (It is forbidden to take pictures inside the building, so ….)

    Outside
    We biked, on a very quiet pace, around the castle over the embankment with really great and unexpected views on the castle. It is just if you are travelling in the middle ages, specially in and around the old Mint House and the church with its old graveyard.
    Of course you can also walk and don’t forget the Plantage, a forest with very old oaks, next to the embankment.

    We had a cup of tea in the former Coach House with a great view on the entrance archway to the castle.

    Huis Bergh: seen from the embankment Huis Bergh: main building Huis Bergh: entrance with archway Huis Bergh: coat of arms Huis Bergh: Coach House
    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Castles and Palaces
    • Arts and Culture

    Was this review helpful?

  • vtveen's Profile Photo

    Elburg: Zwaluwenburg and A.Vogel Tuinen

    by vtveen Updated Nov 18, 2014

    When visiting Elburg I highly recommend a side trip to the ‘Zwaluwenburg’. This is a castle/mansion located nearby the city in a very beautiful setting.

    The estate offers several ways of exploring its beauty.
    If in a hurry you could visit the ‘care farm’ Westbroek (Zorgboerderij Westbroek), where you can get a tea or coffee and can do some shopping in the small shop. You can get some homeopathic treatments of dr. A.Vogel, which are made in Elburg.

    If you have more time, make a signposted walk around the estate of Zwaluwenburg. First the path is meandering in the “A. Vogel Gardens” (A. Vogel Tuinen), where you can get an impression of the plants, flowers and herbs which are used in their production. The walk continues through woodland and meadows.
    ‘Klein Zwitserland’ (Little Switzerland) is an area with narrow paths. In late spring this area offers a spectacular number of flowering rhododendrons and azaleas in different colours.
    Nearby castle/mansion Zwaluwenburg is private property and can only be visited during art exhibitions.

    After about 4,5 km’s you will return at Westbroek.

    Information
    Westbroek, open all year Mondays till Fridays from 10.00 am – 5.00 pm; May up to October also on Saturdays.
    Zwaluwenburg, open during art exhibitions (http://www.zwaluwenburg.blogspot.nl/)
    A. Vogel Tuinen: open all year

    Zwaluwenburg A. Vogel Tuinen Westbroek Zwaluwenburg - rhododendrons and azaleas
    Related to:
    • Hiking and Walking
    • Castles and Palaces

    Was this review helpful?

Provincie Gelderland Hotels

  • NH Rijnhotel

    10 Onderlangs, Arnhem, Gelderland, NL 6812 CG, The Netherlands

    Satisfaction: Excellent

    Good for: Couples

    Hotel Class 4 out of 5 stars

  • Manna

    Oranjesingel 2c, Nijmegen, 6511 NS, The Netherlands

    Satisfaction: Excellent

    Good for: Solo

  • Van der Valk Hotel Apeldoorn - de...

    Van Golsteinlaan 20, Ugchelen, Apeldoorn, 7339 GT, The Netherlands

    Satisfaction: Excellent

    Good for: Families

Top Provincie Gelderland Hotels

Apeldoorn Hotels
250 Reviews - 1051 Photos
Nijmegen Hotels
419 Reviews - 767 Photos
Arnhem Hotels
412 Reviews - 1487 Photos
Wageningen Hotels
19 Reviews - 45 Photos
's-Heerenberg Hotels
10 Reviews - 28 Photos
Nunspeet Hotels
11 Reviews - 31 Photos
Harderwijk Hotels
40 Reviews - 180 Photos
Zutphen Hotels
71 Reviews - 284 Photos
Groesbeek Hotels
34 Reviews - 71 Photos
Doetinchem Hotels
7 Reviews - 11 Photos
Winterswijk Hotels
17 Reviews - 80 Photos
Wijchen Hotels
12 Reviews - 52 Photos
Putten Hotels
23 Reviews - 56 Photos
Otterlo Hotels
34 Reviews - 56 Photos
Nijkerk Hotels
2 Reviews - 13 Photos

Instant Answers: Provincie Gelderland

Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers

34 travelers online now

Comments

Provincie Gelderland Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Provincie Gelderland things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Provincie Gelderland sightseeing.
Map of Provincie Gelderland