Zoelen Things to Do
Once a year on a Sunday normally in the month May, the largest event of Zoelen is the Dweildag.
A festivity with a number of mostly national bands who play during the day on stages located in the Jeudestraat. At the end of the day the best performing band will be announced. Besides the stages in the street, many food and drink stands are located in the street and their are second hand and new items put on sale.Related to:
- Family Travel
Aldenhaag included the old motte and bailey fort and its surroundings. Before the modern period Aldenhaag was called the Esschenterp, literally "mound in between the arable lands". It may be noted that Thedingsweert, Zoelen and Tiel all lie on the north bank of defensible rivers since the threat in that period came from the Counts of Flanders, who were attempting to seize the region, much as the Spanish would try 300 years later. The area was devastated by the Count of Flanders between 1290 and 1296, so the fears were well founded. By 1362 the original castle on the motte had disappeared and the property of Aldenhaag was divided from the newer castle land at Soelen. Originally in the hands of the van Benthem family, by 1506 Soelen belonged to the van Rossums and then by marriage with Heilwich van Rossum it came to Dirck Vijgh, the son of Claes Vijgh, in 1569, reuniting the two estates. Claes Vijgh (1505-1581) was a member of the new burger aristocracy and was an active supporter of the Habsburg policies. With Claes Vijgh’s 1530 marriage to an illegitimate daughter of Charles, Duke of Gelderland the Aldenhaag property was part of her dowry, and was raised to a noble fief ennobling Claes, who was thereafter known as Lord of Soelen and Alden Haag.From Claes Vijgh it passed to his son Diederick and so down the generations until Karel Vijgh died without heirs in 1682. It then came into the hands of the van Renesse family and in 1702 to Karel Pieck. On 22 June 1775 the property was purchased by Johan Verstolk, a wealthy Rotterdam shipper and remained in his family until 1845. When Verstolk acquired the lands it was described as a castle on the Linge, having gardens, an orangerie, a barn with stalls and room for carriages, farm buildings and was solidly built of stone and wood. The Verstolks were made noble as barons for their service to the state, and the last of them, Baron J.G. Verstolk, was buried in 1845 in a small tomb on the raised motte of the ancient castle. Baron Verstolk was both a Provincial Minister and Minister of State and negotiated the independence of Belgium from the Netherlands. Thereafter the property ran down and by 1900 was a restaurant and guest house and was in poor condition and much changed for its new purpose. In recent years it has been restored.Related to:
- Historical Travel
- Castles and Palaces
In the small village of Zoelen, near Tiel there are 34 National Momuments. It is nice to take a walk through the village and to take a peak at those beautiful monuments (normally not open to the public).Related to:
- Historical Travel
Nice restaurant in a beautiful setting near the water and the castle of Zoelen.
UPDATE DECEMBER 2014:
The restaurant is temporary closed as the former restaurant operator went bankrupt. The owner of the building is looking for a new operator and the restaurant is expected to be re-opened in 2015.
Favorite Dish: They have a variety of foods, all good.Related to:
- Food and Dining